Anyone do Memory Books?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Jun 28, 2010.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

I was considering doing a memory book for each child next year. Does anyone do that already? Do you have any good ideas to pass on?
    I thought I could do:
    First day of school photo, class photo, periodic name writing samples, hand print with poem, beginning and end of year photo, height, weight, class autographs page. Periodic pictures of self portraits.

Any other ideas? I'm not that creative...
    Thank you in advance!

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

We do memory books at our preschool. What started as a fun to do activity has turned into a nightmare. Our director INSISTS that they all be EXACTLY alike...same number of pages, same numbers of items on each page, one photo per page, etc. She claims it is because some parents complained, but I really think some teachers complained (the ones who don't want to put much effort into change). I hope it goes well for you, because I think it really is a great idea. Good luck.

4. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I do a memory/scrapbook. We take lots of pictures including the first day, and holidays. When we do a unit (say volcanoes), we take a picture of them actually building a volcano to explode. A lot of our pictures are of the kids actually working on these projects. Since I teach 2nd, I also leave a space on each scrapbook page for the child to write about what they learned while doing what was in the picture. Good luck!

5. Tangerine

Tangerine Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

You could put stickers in it, and some drawings. I really like the handprint and writing sample ideas a lot. :)

6. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I do a digital yearbook that parents are able to look at for free (only the people I personally invite can see the pictures and I make sure every child has signed the photo release and publishing permission slip.

I use www.mixbook.com It is free and easy to use. If parents want to order the book they can but they order from Mixbook not from me (wonderful!!).

I also do a portfolio some years I bind into a book, some years I do not (it depends on time). The cover of the portfolio is a Picasa college (also a free) of the child throughout the year. I include our monthly quilt square (self portrait, write name, an pattern around the edge), a few art projects, cutting samples, etc.

This coming year I am trying something a little different. It is more memory book, but tied to our standards includes things like fall and spring writing samples, shape recognition, cutting, color naming, letter naming, letter sounds, number recognition, and rhyming it also has a beginning and ending of the year photo. I saw a sample a kindergarten teacher did and simplified for me kids. I think it will be nice.

7. benandhansmom

benandhansmom Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Some of the other ones I do:

Muffins with Mom pic
    Donuts with Dad pic
    Outside play pic
    Inside play pic
    Holiday parties pics
    Star Student pic
    Birthday pic
    Any special event we do (Harvest Hoedown, Ice Cream Day, Snow Day, etc.)
    If any of them fall asleep during rest time, I snap a pic
    I take 2-3 pics of them working (painting, coloring, cutting, etc.)

8. ECE123

ECE123 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

My classroom aide and I take photos throughout the whole school year. While we try to do "events", most of the best pictures are just taken in spontaneous moments when the kids are really engaged. I then develop the "good ones" and hang them throughout the room in clear page protectors. We rotate them as the year goes on. The kids love to see themselves hanging up all over the room, and will often talk about what they were doing in the photo. At the end of the year I sort the photos based on each child and put them together in a cheap "brag book" type photo album. I then give them out as graduation gifts to my students as they leave me. I have students for 2-3 years, so after all those photos it's fun to see how much they've grown. I have gotten many compliments from parents on graduation day about how wonderful of a gift it is to have all those memories from their time with us.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 8, 2010

I did them this year, but had a VERY small class (6). I took a really good photo each month, as well as a handprint. Some months I had the kids decorate the die-cut that their picture went on, some months I didn't. I used the big die-cuts, so each month had a page spread... then I did other candid/activity shots at the end from various activities and projects andj ust day-to-day things throughout the year. I had kids starting all throughout the year, so all of the books were different. I used the comb-binding machine from the library. I spent a fair amount of time on them, but they turnedo ut really nice.

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 8, 2010

We are required to do a portfolio for each child. We use 3-ring binders. Mine are divided by months. I find it easier to track their progress that way. Each month has samples of name writing, math, art, special projects etc. In the back there is a seciton of photos

11. ColorMePink

ColorMePink Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I'm a student but in one of the classes (2-3yrs) that I did my observations in they did end-of-year books.

It pretty much included everything state above: first day of school pic, height and weight, holiday pics, hand prints and feet print crafts, pics of curriculum activities (cooking, firemen visit), birthday pic, thumb-print of all the kids.

The only other thing see did was to include at the very end a letter from teacher to child. They were handed out on the last day and the kiddos loved them.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

I do something kind of what you're talking about, and my way is very simple! I do 2 things:

I take a photograph of each child on the first day of school. I take every picture in the same place against my cupboards, right in front of my schedule pocket chart. Then, in September, December, March, and June (every 3 months), each child writes their name and draws a picture of themselves. Then, I take a picture the last week of school in the same exact spot where I took the first day picture. I put all pages together to make a book. So, it looks like this:

Page 1: "This is me on the first day of school." (photograph)
    Page 2: "This is me in September." (self-portrait)
    Page 3: "This is me in December." (self-portrait)
    Page 4: "This is me in March." (self-portrait)
    Page 5: "This is me in June." (self-portrait)
    Page 6: "This is me the last week of school." (photograph)

The pictures show the physical growth of the child, since they are taken in the same spot. The self-portraits show the development of their handwriting and drawings. It's very easy for me and very little work. Instead of measuring the kids, their is a picture to show the growth. I just have parent volunteers laminate and cut out each page as it is completed. Then, at the end of the school year, I use a binder ring to put them together. So simple!

The other thing I do is I make each child a picture CD of every picture taken during the school year. That way they can view it as a slideshow on their TV or computer, and scrapbooking moms can make prints. It takes me about an hour to burn all of the CD's, and it only costs about $15 for everything. That's a pretty cheap end-of-the-year gift!

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

periodically I let the children look through their portfolios ---they get so excited about what they've done!