Anyone Do "Girls On The Run" at their school?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 5, 2006.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2006

I am thinking about doing this at my school next year! I LOVE the premis of the program. I teach Pre-K and therefore would have some of my students siblings. Not at the point yet where I would have any former students. I am looking at going back to school for a masters starting as a Student At Large, and I am just not sure if I have the time to commit--it is only 12 weeks and I think it could make so much of a difference! Any feedback from anyone who has done the program is welcomed! Thanks! Also if you did the program do you work at a school with minimal parent involvement. I am kinda worried that we'll do all the training and then on race day the girls won't make it to downtown. (I DON'T drive--and if I did I don't know if I would go with that liability anyway!)

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 5, 2006

I've never heard of this. What is it?

4. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

Tell me too! What is it?

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2006

LOL... It sounds like some type of bad movie... I'm curious

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2006

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2006

FROM GOTRCHICAGO.COM
    What is Girls on the Run?

Girls on the Run® (GOTR) - Chicago uses the power of running to change the way girls see themselves and their opportunities! It is an innovative health education and wellness program that uniquely combines training for a 3.1 mile run/walk event with life-changing, self esteem enhancing lessons that encourage healthy habits and an active lifestyle in 8-12 year old girls. Girls learn to stretch themselves - physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally - and in the process, are inspired to a lifetime of self respect and healthy living!

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 6, 2006

Anybody?

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2006

I think it would be good for all children not just girls.
    Our afterschool program uses the little plastic feet as rewards for
    mileage (running or walking). ANYTHING that gets kids active and off a couch is good.

10. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

We had it at our school-inner city Cincinnati- and I saw it as a big positive for the girls involved. It was an outside volunteer that came in to do it, not a staff member, but I sat in a couple times. The participation wasn't huge, but I think the girls that stuck with it got a lot out of it. No parental involvement. The transportation to the run is a definite issue. Our girls got there, but I think it was the volunteer, one parent, and some teachers that did the transporting.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 6, 2006

Thanks for your response! The transportation is what I am worried aboud. Even though we live in a huge city with amazing transportation many of these families NEVER leave their neighborhoods. The run is in a VERY different part of town then where they live. Even if I could get money to charter a bus somehow I worry that these families that can't make it to school on time at 8:30 wouldn't make it to a bus at about 6:00 so we could get to the race on time. I don't want to dissapoint the GOTR group either.
    They did try to pilot a boys group in Charlotte, apparently it didn't work. I think boys have a lot of sports activities to do and I like that it keeps girls seperate and lets them know they can do it! Boys have Football and Basketball at our school. I *think* girls only have cheerleading. Though I will have to work around ALL THESE THINGS plus my own schedule and I'm just not sure it will work out---