Anyone do a club?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Mshope2012, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jul 18, 2017

We are starting club again next year. We have done it on and off in the past depending on our schedule. It seems like I always get assigned or pick a club that is kind of a hassle. All the "easy" clubs like movie, games, and sports are already taken.

I wouldn't mind doing a chess club or something like that, but of course we have no budget. I've been looking around at garage sales and online, I refuse to spend a lot of money. I also don't want to do something with a ton of prep.

Does anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance!

3. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 22, 2017

Our clubs are optional to run, and I've never chosen to take one on myself, but some of the teachers at my school have done dodgeball, running club, friendship bracelet making, and baking (she used the Foods room and they made different desserts).

Mshope2012 likes this.
  4. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 24, 2017

I've done clubs every year for awhile now. I taught middle school last year and did a board game club that kids loved. It was different because many of them were so used to video games that the social interaction of a board game was actually a unique experience for many of them. And we didn't do just simple stuff like monopoly, but tried out unique games like Settlers of Catan. I did do some chess too... we didn't have a chess club, so this killed two birds with one stone. No real prep work required either.

Mshope2012 likes this.
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

Unless you really enjoy the club topic, I have always found them to not be worth the time.

Easy online ones would be free. Minecraft, fantasy stock market, fantasy sports, etc. mock trials are fun and pretty easy as long as you make the students do all the work (as should be the case.)

Mshope2012 likes this.
  6. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 2, 2017

Thanks all for your replies. I am going to see what is still available. I absolutely refuse to spend a lot of early time and money on this so I appreciate all of your ideas. The online ones sound great IF I can get into a computer lab. Yep, we have few working computers and hit or miss internet so who knows?

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019