Anyone do a "Around the World" theme?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by geiwee, Dec 8, 2009.

1. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

I am deciding on themes for the remainder of the year and think doing an "around the world/multicultural" theme would be a really great learning opportunity but am stuck on what all we would do. Has anyone done a theme like this and if so, what did you do?

3. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Dec 8, 2009

I've done an "Around the World" theme as a summer camp and as a Holiday theme. You can create a passport and luggage and have a special stamp for each country that you "visit". For Holidays you can take a specific tradition and expand on it. For example the history of the Christmas tree began in Germany. Identify Germany on a map, read a story about Christmas Trees, and do an art project.
    HTH!!

4. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Dec 9, 2009

We did "Celebration of Nations" this summer for a week of camp - and I'm actually planning on doing this as a month long unit in February. We had so much fun! We did the passport thing - and our "stamp" was to write hello in different languages. (we were mixed ages up to 5th grade for summer camp - I'll probably do something different for my class) We cooked foods from different countries, read stories about different countries, made crafts native to different countries. Learned folk dances and songs. Played/made instruments from different countries - drew flags from different countries. It was SO much fun - the kids really loved it! We made our own "crown jewels" and I printed out pictures of the real crown jewels for the kids to see. The food and music were the biggest hits I would say! :)

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 11, 2009

We have Culture/Heritage week the week of Halloween. Each child brings in items (toys, books, maps, dolls, etc) from the culture of his choice. Many choose a culture from their background, others pick a culture they like. On Friday, each child dresses up in costumes from that culture. Some wear actual clothing from the culture, some wear colors from the flag, some wear hats or soccer shirts. Each child also brings a small plate of food from that culture which we all share during snack.

6. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Dec 11, 2009

I also did this at a summer camp. There are TONS of activities you can do. We had a different country each day of camp and each day, did games, crafts, songs, costumes, and food from that country. We also related it to other subjects. For ex., on Egyptian day we studied mummification and "mummified" stuffed animals! You can find lots of resources online. On some days, we also combined some countries that did not have as many resources.