Anyone Dine Out Alone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 20, 2010

Just out of curiosity, do any of you dine alone & if so, how often?

I never have, except if you want to count eating in the mall food court for a 30 min lunch break a few times way back when I had a retail mall job, but never at an actual restuarant. I wouldn't really want to, but I could if I had to, like if I lived alone & just wanted to get out & not cook. I'd bring some kind of reading material though!

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 20, 2010

I have at small places like Pick Up Stix, but never anywhere big. I wouldn't mind, I just never have. I like to people watch so it wouldn't bother me.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2010

I go to movies solo and I have gone to eat alone at small places but I know that soon I will need to get used to ding these things alone more often because my youngest is a sophomore already...sigh...it's ok..I can do it!!

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 20, 2010

I do it a lot...comes with the having no friends thing.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 20, 2010

Only when I was working and on a break. =)

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 20, 2010

Only every once in a while but I do get take out on a regular basis. There's so much I can be doing at home that I can't do in a crowded restaurant.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 20, 2010

I went to my first movie alone during the Christmas break and the only time I felt uncomfortable was when the moving let out... I'm planning on doing it again next month .though

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2010

I never have, but my husband does. I would feel uncomfortable. I sometimes feel awkward when he goes to the bathroom and I'm sitting by myself, especially if we haven't gotten our food yet. I don't know what to do!

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 20, 2010

I've eaten lunch by myself when I am in a different city for a doctor appointment, shopping, or workshop. I've never had an evening meal alone, but there are always others dining alone at lunch so I don't feel so awkward!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2010

I have - only when traveling, though and not at a real restaurant, but at a fast food restaurant (when I use to eat fast food that is).

I have never been to a movie alone, but have considered it since there are always so many movies I want to see and I wouldn't expect my one super close friend to see all those movies with me (she has a family so she's usually tied up). Definitely a downside of being single and having more married/engaged friends than single friends.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 20, 2010

I have eaten out alone in restaurants. When I work, that is one of my rewards. I found it uncomfortable at first, but got used to it. I am a loner, by choice, and enjoy the peace of being by myself. That said, I really enjoy the company of my husband or a friend as well.

The one time I went to a movie by myself was when my husband was on a business trip. I loved it. I went to a movie my husband would not have liked. There were about 10 people at the movie, and about 6 were alone.

13. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Jan 20, 2010

I eat alone all the time. Up until a few months ago, it was at least once a week, and sometimes twice. The trick is to find a place that has a bar as well, so that you can sit at the bar and have dinner, and talk to the bartenders if you want. If not, you can at least watch TV while you eat. I usually take my iphone with me and read the news while I am eating.

I've never gone to the movies alone, simply because I don't really go to the movies at all. I watch movies at home alone all the time.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 21, 2010

Same here re: not having friends. :mellow:

I feel the same way when my BF goes to the restroom & I'm just sitting there.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

Dh travels a LOT, so sometimes I go out when he is not here. The house can be really lonely. I like to go to the Outback, as he hates it. I'll order a bloomin' onion, wahalla pasta and sometimes a fruity drink, and read. I think the local owner thinks I'm cute, because he always comes over and chats when I go in. As long as I have my book, I really don't mind eating alone at all!

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

I've eaten alone, went to the movies alone, no biggie. I have friends, but don't have to have someone with me. I'm an only child and have always been by myself a lot.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2010

I used to do it a lot when I lived alone. I always take something to do, though, like read, magazine, papers to grade. The first few times I did it, I found it kind of empowering, like I am comfortable enough with myself to be able to do this. However, now I don't even think about it.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

I'm seldom alone.

But if I am alone for a meal, I'll go for fast food or to someplace like Panera, not to a nice restaurant.

For me, the whole point to a nice restaurant is to enjoy a meal with someone else. The food is seldom what it's all about for me.

19. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

I have often gone to the movies or a restaurant by myself-more when I was younger. I love horror movies and none of my friends or family do, so I would go to those by myself. And ku alum, I am also an only child and it has never bothered me to be by myself. My husband, who is one of 8 (!), has never understood that. My son (also an only) doesn't mind doing things by himself and it drives my hubby nuts.

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

I don't really like to and the only time I have is when I've been driving somewhere and want to eat, but I'll stop at a fast food type place, otherwise I'll just get something and bring it home to eat.

21. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

When I worked for Migrant Head Start, our center was the only one in the southeast part of the state. So, I had to travel and stay overnight several times each season. I learned to do things by myself in the evening because I hated sitting alone in my hotel room.

Sometimes I took along something to read or some paperwork to do while I was the restaurant.

22. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

I recently went to a movie alone and I didn't mind it. I wanted to get out of the house and I found that many people there were doing the same thing. I work in a restaurant too and I find that I have many people come in by themselves to eat as well. Although it is something I have never done personally.

23. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 21, 2010

I can't eat out by myself. Just too self-conscious.

I made myself go to a movie by myself once, to prove I could do it. I was uncomfortable the whole time and probably wouldn't do it again.

24. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

When I traveled, I frequently ate out alone. Bring a really good book.

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

I wanted a crab Louie today, so I went by myself to the seafood restaurant. Boy, it was good, and the company was great.

26. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

I have, only twice. Once at California Pizza Kitchen and once at Red Robin...both restaurants. At Red Robin I was between finals so I brought study material. At CPK I went recently after a doctor's appoint, I had an hour before work...so I brought my book and read at the table!

27. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2010

Another only child here too! :) I've never gone to the movies alone, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad. I've gone to the mall/other stores & the gym alone plenty of times. Those are really the only places I go to alone.

TennisPlayer, I saw this article just yesterday. I think subconsciously, that's what made me start this thread! I still haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I will. :)

29. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2010

I prefer to go to the movies alone, unless it's for the kids. It's easier, more convenient, I can make more of my own choices, etc. I used to work in a movie theater, and got into the habit at that time.

I don't think I'd eat anywhere fancy alone, not because I'd be uncomfortable with being alone but just because I'd rather have the comfort of my own house. I'd order.

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2010

I've gone to the movies alone several times. It's one thing that I don't mind doing alone, and it gets me out of the house.

I've only eaten alone a handful of times--once when a student sold me a ticket to a 4-H pancake breakfast (held at an Applebee's), and once when I really wanted Red Lobster, and was near one for a conference. It was okay, but it's not my favorite thing to do.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2010

I meant to add, I love shopping alone. I can take my time, and then move on when I'm done. While it is nice sometimes to have others' opinions, I find that I prefer going by myself.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2010

I feel the same way, but I do enjoy shopping w/ my mom or BF.

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 24, 2010

I often eat alone or go to the movies alone. I never really even think that much of it. I always have a book with me and take that time to read. I don't do it at nice places, but then, I'm a single teacher and don't often eat at nice places! :) I'm very seldom the only one eating alone. There just doesn't seem to be a stigma with it around here. I have friends that I often eat with or see movies with, but I'm fine when I go alone, too.