Anyone celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by educatingme, Mar 2, 2007.

1. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Mar 2, 2007

What'd you do?

3. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Mar 2, 2007

Our school did a teacher reading exchange. I got to go to a second grade classroom and read Oh, the Places You Will Go! That is one of, if not my absolute favorite picture books of all time.

4. Yen

Yen Rookie

Mar 2, 2007

In the lab we've been doing the Seussville website. Even my junior high kids had a good time with it! I told them, "It doesn't matter how old you are, you can still love Dr. Seuss!"
    :)

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 2, 2007

We didn't have school today. So I'm not going to bother. We start our state testing on Monday.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 2, 2007

My class had a worksheet on their desk this morning (for morning work) that was a word search on one side and a coloring page on the other. Later we read Cat in the Hat, and then took the 236 words of the story to make up our own story. They had so much fun! We read several Dr. Seuss books throughout the day and made a Cat in the Hat. As a treat for working so hard for the last two weeks I showed a 30 minute video that had 3 different Dr. Seuss books in it. At the very end of the day I read Diffendoofer Day to them, since we start state testing on Monday. It was the perfect book. Here are the links I got some of my worksheets from.
    http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/dr__seuss.html
    http://www.gpschools.org/ci/ce/elem/holidays/drseuss.htm

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2007

OY!!! We had fun, but I have a major headache now. We made adorable Dr. Suess hats (I took a picture of my whole class with them on and the studid camera erased it or somthing!!!!) and we also made oobleck (from the book Barthalemew and the oobleck. So, yep, good day. And our school had a Dr. Seuss party last night.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2007

Our whole elementary published individual class books. They came in a few days ago so we had cake, read a loud Dr. Suess, colored caps, our secretary (male) dressed up like cat in the hat, and then we gave them their own book (new authors) and had them read them together in groups.

9. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Mar 2, 2007

we did read acros America week....monday we had a special guest come read to our class....tuesday was pass the book day, where every class got to read "horray for diffendofer day"....wed. was partner read, which mean each class partnered with another class and buddy read for thirt min..... thursday was a book swap day where each child brought in a book and received a ticket which in turn let them pick a new book on thursday (for the children who weren't able to bring in a book teachers donated tons of book so every child got a new book)...friday was character book dress up day! I was the paper bag princess!!!

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 2, 2007

We were celebrating all week with Read Across America Week.
    Wednesday was crazy sock day for Fox in Socks
    Thursday was crazy hair day for Horton in Who-ville.

This morning we made green eggs and ham this morning. The kids had a great time cooking. We had a guest reader come in to read too. This afternoon we had an assembly where the teachers read Cat in the Hat to the school!

11. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Mar 2, 2007

I celebrate very simply. I read Sneetches in the morning and then I tape green paper stars on everyone's belly. They have a blast explaining who they are all day and calling each other star-belly and plain-belly all day.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2007

We are working on persuasive writing in 5th grade, so I gave each student a Dr. Seuss book and they had to write a paragraph and create a 'poster' explaining why that book was the best Dr. Seuss book ever. At the end of the day we did a teacher switch, and then the students had free reading time.

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2007

I had a breakfast for the students & parents (only 3 parents came though). I then read Oh the Places You'll Go & we did a class discussion about it.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2007

We had our first friday of the month assembly. The teachers all read a line from There's a wocket in my pocket.

15. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Mar 5, 2007

Friday assemby for 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes, while a "host" (local personality) read the story to the students.

16. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

My sons school does a whole week of the man. I have to tell you every year they get more and more people to come in to read to classes. This year they have a local dj and the mayor of the town coming into read to the children.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 5, 2007

We didn't celebrate except with green eggs & ham for breakfast in the cafeteria. However, I was in another school and they made snacks using a ritz cracker and alternated pepperoni and mozzarella cheese rounds to make a hat like the Cat in the Hat's. It was adorable! :)

18. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Mar 5, 2007

Our school activities varied per class/grade:
    -our principal dressed up like the Cat in the Hat and visited all the rooms:)
    -we had green eggs and ham
    -the k class made b-day cards and had a mini celebration at lunch
    -school wide we wore red and white on Friday
    -the librarian told us the book Green Eggs and Ham only has 50 words repeated throughout the book. Any class who checked to see if this was true got free books for the classroom

19. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 6, 2007

We had a snow day! I was happy for the day off, but disappointed about missing the celebration. I am going to have the kids make green eggs and will have ham and make hats anyway.

20. SuperSub

SuperSub Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

We also had a snow day and missed our celebration. We were going to make green eggs and ham and read books by Dr. Seuss.

21. Mr.math

Mr.math Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

Celebrate Math now

Now that Seuss' birthday is over it is time to celebrate math with Pi Across America which starts March 14 and runs through April (Math Awareness month). Visit piacrossamerica.org for activities and games for your class. It is an opportunity to celebrate Albert Einstein's birthday.