Anyone care to post pictures of your environments?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by tracykaliski, Aug 23, 2008.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2008

I admit I've been peeking at all of the threads about regular elementary classroom pictures and am dying to see some of your classrooms as well. I love to see what other Montessorians do with their spaces. Anyone interested in sharing?

We start back to school on Tuesday, so I'll be able to take some pictures after everything is set up and before the children arrive.

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I didn't have time this week. It was exhausting. I hope to post a few pics soon.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

Mind if I ask what is a Montessori class/school and what makes it different then a reg. class?

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2008

It's very different than traditional schools, but unless you want me to write a thesis, it would be hard to explain. This might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori

I've been teaching Montessori for 23 years now and I love it. I can't imagine teaching any other way.

6. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Aug 31, 2008

Mandaga06:
    Montessori classes have these defining features:
    a trained Montessorian
    Montessori materials
    Children of mixed ages
    a 3 hour work period where children get lessons in small groups and also work independently - work and rest in natural cycles.
    Children have the freedom to choose what to work on, who to work with, where to work, how long to work and how to work.
    Interest in the materials is spurred on by watching others at work. Children teach themselves through trial and error and by correcting their own mistakes.
    Children have the responsibility to respect themselves, others and the classroom environment.
    Equal importance is placed on emotional, psychological and social "learning" as well as "specialties" like music, art and foreign languages in relation to language and math lessons.
    It is a remarkable method and a stimulating career path.
    The Montessori method is being substantiated by current education and brain research. See "Montessori: The Science behind the Genius" by Angeline Lillard.
    Also, www.montessori-ami.org and www.montessori-namta.org
    Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be glad to give any info -
    Good luck!

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

Thanks guys, I do not work in an area where we have one of these schools. I was just curous. I would love to see those pictures to see how diffrent it is. Oh, one last question Do they where uniforms like shown in the link I was given? They looked like pilgrams I just wondered.

8. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

No, Montessori children are not required to wear a uniform. Here is another link to Montessori.

http://www.amshq.org/