Anyone been vaccinated yet?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 19, 2021

Has anyone gotten their COVID-19 vaccination yet?

Teachers are phase 2 recipients here, and my district is giving vaccines Thursday.

3. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jan 19, 2021

Not here yet.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 20, 2021

I get my first dose this Saturday.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 20, 2021

We can sign up right now if we want to get it but I'm only getting it if my school requires it.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 20, 2021

My dad got his. He is 75. I'll get it only if work requires it.

Pisces likes this.
  7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 20, 2021

I'm on the list for both my county and my district, so hopefully soon! The district email said it would be in the next few weeks, and that was about a week or so ago.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2021

It will likely be late March or early April for teachers here; I'm ready!

9. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 20, 2021

Why not?

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2021

It won't be soon for teachers here :(. My guess is summer at the absolute earliest.

mrsf70 likes this.
  11. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jan 20, 2021

Same here. I am jealous of seeing everywhere teachers are already getting a vaccine!

mrsf70 likes this.
  12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 21, 2021

We just started with teachers this week. Our state is doing a pilot program where every district gets so many vaccines at a time (it isn't many, our district with 42 teachers, not sure of total staff count, gets 6 vacccines). It's a start, but it will be taking a while at this rate.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 21, 2021

Ohio educators are eligible for vaccine starting on 2/1. My husband works in mental health and got his vaccine two weeks ago.

mrsf70 likes this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 21, 2021

Because I want to see how it's working after other people get it. If I have to get it I will but I'd rather wait. If my employer doesn't have a problem with it nobody else should since it should be our choice.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 21, 2021

So why don't you want it? (I was asked why not so you should answer too) :toofunny:

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2021

I got my first dose a couple of weeks ago.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 21, 2021

LOL I'll wait a while...a LONG while and see how others do with it. I just don't trust the rush or the government nowadays.

Tired Teacher and Pisces like this.
  18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 21, 2021

Yeah, I don't mind waiting to see.

Pisces and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  19. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jan 21, 2021

Same with me. Tomorrow is shot day in our district if we want it. I'm waiting for version 2.0.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  20. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 21, 2021

I suppose. I have no choice but to wait, so I don't have any decisions to make. But when I can, I will get it. 409,000 and going up fast tells me enough about what happens to people without it.

creativemonster likes this.
  21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 21, 2021

I got mine today. I’m considered high risk for reaction, so I had to take two epi-pens with me and stay for an hour after the injection. They also gave me two Benadryl while I was waiting. No adverse reactions, thankfully. My arms isn’t even as sore as it gets when I have the regular flu shot.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 22, 2021

Well, not everyone is actually able to get it right now anyway so my dose will go to someone else. As long as they aren't going to waste I don't see why it should matter who gets it first (the higher risk people should get it first IMO and I do not fall into that category).

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 22, 2021

My friend has developed a weird allergy recently and her doctor told her not to get the flu shot because of certain possible reactions. I'm not sure about this one. I will have to ask her.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Pisces likes this.
  24. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jan 22, 2021

I keep telling SO he needs to call his doc and ask about this. I don't know if he'd be elevated or high risk, but he does have history of anaphylactic reactions. His epi-pen expired ages ago, so he needs to get a new scrip for one anyway before bee season. I figure he might as well kill two birds with one call and get vaccine advice and a safe epi-pen.
    I have a laundry list of weird allergies, but at least mine are all the puke-y or rash w/ hives kind, so no particular concern about the shot for me.

25. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2021

No. We are still remote and I think I will be until April. But in MA, teachers are in the second phase and are lumped in with a lot of different professions and are after people with 2+co-morbidities.
    I will be getting the vaccine as soon as I am eligible.
    My sister is a doctor and she got both doses.

26. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jan 24, 2021

I thankfully got my first dose last week.

27. 24Ahead

24Ahead New Member

Jan 28, 2021

95% of C19 deaths were 50 years or older (before they died).

Search "Daily 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Summary of Deaths by Demographics" for stats from San Diego County, where 96.2% of the deaths were 50+ and there was only one (1) death who was 20 or under.

There's no moral basis for young/health teachers to deprive those 50+ of the doses they need to survive.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 28, 2021

As much as I understand the way you feel I do not think you are the person to make that decision.

Pisces likes this.
  29. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 28, 2021

It’s not depriving them? Most places put teachers in a later stage of vaccinations than those over 65, which is the age identified by the CDC as high risk. My state has teachers and 65+ in the same phase but different stages of that phase. The rollout is unorganized at best everywhere, and the country hasn’t had to enact a mass vaccination like this (since... what, polio? Small pox?) so it’s not going to be perfect.
    Also, I’m not sure what the one death under 20 has to do with teachers since there are no teachers I’m aware of who are under 20 years old.

I saw an article from a medical ethicist that basically came down to “if you have the opportunity to get the vaccine, take it. There’s no guarantee that dose would go to someone ‘higher risk’ or ‘more deserving,’ and everyone needs to be vaccinated anyway.”

30. 24Ahead

24Ahead New Member

Jan 28, 2021

That's a fallacious argument. The other reply alluded to all the mistakes that have been made all throughout the pandemic and I could list plenty of them. Should those who obviously didn't even have a vax distribution plan make the decision instead?

Statistically speaking and assuming your goal is to minimize deaths, should a 30-year-old teacher in good health with no risk factors get the vax before a 60-year-old?

31. 24Ahead

24Ahead New Member

Jan 28, 2021

The 20-years-old was re students. The age cutoff is more like 50. In CA, teachers - due to the CTA - are going to get vaxed before those 50+ or with serious risk factors.

Calling this "not perfect" is an incredibly understatement. The CDC & states knew the vaccines were coming for months but are still developing the tiers and developing distribution plans.

The Dodgers Stadium layout was designed by the LAFD on a napkin shortly before it opened (source: KFI). That should have been done months ago.

As for the ethicist, I hope he was referring to doses that were going to be thrown out (which L.A. County did; I have an outstanding FOIA to get the details). It's beyond unethical for young/healthy people to crawl over the older and vulnerable for something those older and vulnerable people need to stay out of the ICU.

32. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2021

Got my 1st dose. No problems.

33. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 29, 2021

California is doing a very bad job of administering the vaccine. As of a couple days ago CA had used only 44% or 46% of the vaccine shipped to the state.

I wonder if some of the problem is confusion about who should get it. Are doses being sat on for fear they would be given to the "wrong" people?

It's a pretty tough job to que up people in the best order. There are so many factors involved. One thing I think you are missing though is that, people that may be in less danger of serious illness may be a greater danger to others in passing the virus on. In my opinion, in class teachers should be required to be vaccinated to lessen the danger of them passing it on. Yes, I know we aren't certain how much vaccination reduces chances of a vaccinated person passing the virus on. But it's going to be some reduction. An unvaccinated in class teacher is a higher risk disease vector.

34. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 30, 2021

I was on Twitter earlier and saw two of my IRL friends complaining that they may have been bumped from their places in line for the vaccine so that teachers could get it. That is the LAST thing I want, especially considering both of these friends have severe health risks despite being fairly young (late 30s, as opposed to me reaching for 50). It makes me feel so conflicted.

35. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jan 31, 2021

I'm torn about it all and felt some guilt, but I went ahead and got mine since someone else made the decision of my eligibility. On one hand, it makes little sense to vaccinate young teachers before midlife+ anyone, which I am anyway. However, as a mom of a high risk child who cannot likely take a vaccine for almost a year, the concept of cocooning him with vaccinated teachers and staff may make me more likely to send him back sooner. It's a roundabout way of protecting precious young ones. Tough call.

36. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 31, 2021

Given that vaccines aren't getting into arms at the rate they should, I think getting it when you are given the opportunity is the way to go. Crawling over someone else in greater need is one thing, saying yes when it is offered is another.

37. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2021

Either in person learning is "essential" or it isn't. If you're going to say teachers don't need vaccines because schools can be remote, fine, that's valid. There are some jobs that absolutely can't be done remotely, and teaching isn't one of them. If you're going to say that it has to be in person learning, then teachers need vaccines. You don't get to have it both ways. There have been plenty of cases of younger teachers dying needlessly all over the country.

Why would a retired person who has the ability to stay home be vaccinated before a teacher who is one of the riskiest situations there is? Other jobs that are in person right now still have social distancing in place, and in most cases interactions between employees and customers/clients are very brief. Teachers are going into buildings with 500+ people, in tiny rooms with 0 distancing and with kids who are bad at wearing masks, for 7 hours per day. "Cohorting" isn't really happening because of all of the different services we're required to provide to students. And we have to feed them twice a day as well, which means masks off.

Any time they talk about in person learning on the news, I notice they show this footage of like 6 kids in a classroom, each at their own giant table very far apart from anyone else. I don't know where they got this footage, likely they made it just for these segments, because NO school in this area looks like that. We have full classrooms and even trying to make the desk "spaced out" there is 2 feet of extra space at most.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  38. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 31, 2021

It's a mess. Districts have the freedom to make decisions about in person or virtual, while states have the power to prioritize who gets the vaccine. Except where that isn't the case. There is no consistency.

Main point though, prioritization isn't necessarily connected to who is actually doing what and how.

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2021

I'm scheduled for my first shot on Saturday. I'm so relieved things are moving forward.

creativemonster likes this.
  40. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Feb 1, 2021

We are fully in person with no social distancing. I made an appointment to get my first dose at a pharmacy after work tomorrow. My district's clinic isn't until later in Feb. and may not have enough doses for all who want it, so they told us if we can get an appointment elsewhere, to do so.

41. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2021

We were told this morning that our day is tomorrow. They can call us out at any moment so be prepared. There are several teachers who are not getting their shot so they get to cover (take our classes) when we have to leave to get it.