anyone backed out from signed letter of intent?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, Jul 7, 2016.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 7, 2016

Hello, I have posted here on this board how I finally got a teacher offer and I signed my letter of intent. They called me a few days ago and said my contract will be ready to be signed by Thursday (today) and I told them I work that day but I will try to make it afterwards. Well yesterday my number one choice private school where I have been trying to get an interview there for almost a year called me and wants to interview me early next week but can't this week because they are out of town. I hate to turn this opportunity down when I have waited so long and feel I need to at least go to the interview tell them my situation and hope for the best. In the mean time I need to try and hold off on signing my contract with the other school some how. I don't want to start off my teaching career backing out of a letter of intent but working at this nice private school is a dream come true. Worse case scenario I think I am afraid of is not getting the job at the private school and getting my contract taken away from the other district due to taking my sweet time to sign it and having no teaching job......

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 7, 2016

What do you plan on telling them "about your situation"? Do you have connections there? Any idea how many candidates they are looking at? You can probably procrastinate on signing a contract for a week or so, I doubt they'll rescind the offer.

4. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 7, 2016

How long would it take the private school to give you a decision?

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 7, 2016

You are not going to like my answer, but here goes. Unless there is some overwhelming reason that job in hand is significantly different now than when you signed the letter of intent, I believe you should honor your commitment. I have followed your job search saga, and I am afraid that the one in hand may turn into none in hand, and starting over again, with the word in administrative circles that you backed out on your letter. I will be honest - I find it hard to hold out for the "dream job" when, if you haven't actually taught there, the dream could be more like a nightmare. The grass isn't always greener, but many people chase the illusion.

Work with the job you have committed to, learn a lot, and then start interviewing in the spring with schools that would truly make your life better. The advantage is that you have a job to pay bills with, you are gaining hard won experience, and you will walk away a much stronger candidate than you have ever been before. I believe you stand a good chance of ending up with no job if you pursue the dream job, leaving the first offer in the dust. No one can tell you not to listen to your heart, but it is your head that should be running this show. Be smart, but good luck on whatever you decide.

6. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

You should PM me! We're in the same situation right now.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2016

I agree with vickilyn. I tend to think of it this way-- how would you react to this phone call: "I know that we offered you the job, but we just heard from a candidate that we think might be fabulous. We've been hoping for a year that she would contact us about coming to talk to us. She may be the ideal candidate. I'm sure you'll understand that we can't have you come in to sign your contract until after we've spoken to her sometime next week and until she decides whether or not she'd like to work for us. If things don't work out with her, we'd be thrilled to have you join our team!"

Your word needs to mean something; the education world is very small.

Never in a million years would I have dreamed that the job that I was hesitant to take 15 years ago would have landed me where I am today--in my dream job.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    bandnerdtx, DHE and mathteachertobe like this.
  8. sharan singh

sharan singh Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

tough condition,,, is there time given to you by private school to take your decision ??

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 8, 2016

very true

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 8, 2016

message button not an option. You are too new

11. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

anyway, i went on to interview anyway, i didnt want to give up the chance, and it went really well. plus schools can/will drop you in a second, so i wouldnt feel bad for shopping around. first and foremost though make sure you're going for something that youll be happy and satisfied at. theres no point in working somewhere you arent going to be happy at.

12. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 8, 2016

ask a forum leader to activate a route that we can personal message.

13. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Ill try to--is the best way to email through "contact"? I havent gotten a response a couple days from another question i had asked.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

The Contact Us link at the bottom of the page is for getting in touch with the site owner, who I am not.

I notice you've been posting diligently. Keep posting - though posts in Teacher Time Out and the prayer forum may or may not count - and keep trying to send a private message: clicking on your intended recipient's avatar makes a black box pop up, and "Start a Conversation" should appear in smallish white letters above the recipient's information. Click on that.

If that doesn't work, try hovering your cursor over your own link at the top right of the page - I mean the one on the black band that, in your case, says "^ teacherquestions". You should see a white menu with various choices about your A to Z account, and Private Messages should be an option in the right-hand column.

If it isn't, please post some more and try again.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2016

Absolutely great advice! Your word is your honor.

16. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Thanks alot! Ill keep trying! :)

17. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 13, 2016

okay, so update. I interviewed with the private school and was offered the job one day later. I signed the contract today, so it is official! I am already in love with everything about the school.
    I do feel bad that I backed out of my letter of intent with my first offer with the school district, but this school I am with now, I have been waiting for a long time to interview. The timing just sucked.
    Anyways, I will be teaching middle school English now.

18. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

Omg, CONGRATS!! I'm the one that mentioned above i was in the same situation (and as you can see ive been vigorously posting in efforts to be able to private message you in time haha) --I did the same thing, waited for my #1 and I got the offer today too!! Woohoo, and yay for following your gut and taking chances! I'm afraid to call the other school and let them know im backing out though, any advice? Congrats again!!

19. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 13, 2016

Sheesh girl, you wrote and posted a lot, but it STILL won't let me send you a private message!
    Yes, it was risky and I had extreme anxiety the last 2 days, I am sure you did too. When it came to giving the other district the bad news, I am a coward and I emailed them, not called. I really do feel awful about it. Happy for us, and our school year with our first school of preference!

20. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 13, 2016

Congrats! The story has a happy ending!

21. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

I know right :rolleyes: hopefully ill be able to soon haha. I have had anxiety the past few days too--I dont think ive ever been as stressed about an interview (and about letting this other school know)! Ive been thinking about emailing them but i also dont want to leave a trail in case they take action against me (since I know the principals at these two schools know each other)!

22. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 14, 2016

Regarding "private messages" ... Under your account dropdown there is a section called "Privacy". One of the options is to for private messages. Could your account or the person you are trying to PM have this set to "only people you follow" as opposed to "Members only"?

23. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 14, 2016

Thanks i think its because im a rookie though, i need over 100 posts to PM anyone

24. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 14, 2016

Did they email back? Im thinking I might want to go the email route too... any advice on what to say?

25. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 15, 2016

You havn't told them yet? Tell them right away so they can find a replacement. Do they have a contract ready for you to sign? I am surprised they aren't calling you non-stop like mine was doing. Yes, the district did email me back just a short sentence saying that my letter intent resignation has been approved. Are you going to end up working at a private, charter, or school district? What kind of school are you turning away from ?

26. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 15, 2016

I actually ended up emailing them last night but havent gotten a response. They never sent me an official contract, it was weird, i only accepted orally and only got emails once every once in a while about PD.. I dropped that public school for this current public school because it's more rigorous and in a better distrct, more stable, etc. What about you?