Anyone attended a Math Solutions workshop?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Missy99, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2008

My principal is paying for me to attend one of a weeklong Math Solutions workshop, which she said should would be very good for me to attend.

Anyone familiar with this?

:):thanks:

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 11, 2008

Hey, are you going next week? My district is hosting a Math Solutions workshop next week and I am attending. I went to one during a conference and saw an hour long presentation. I love to use literature to teach almost anything. I have heard mixed reviews from the people who attended last year. Some of the people loved it and have used lots of the ideas and others just continued what they always did without giving it a second thought. If you are going later in the summer I will update you next week :)

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2008

Hey Tasha -- the one my district is hosting is in early August, so please do let me know what you think about it and what I might expect.

As a newbie, I don't come equipped with any preconceived notions, which may be good :lol:

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 12, 2008

I attended this last year. I was so excited about it! You're going to get some free materials, and a free book that's really amazing when it comes to math centers. The workshop sessions are informative and the snacks are great. :p Sorry, I'm a food person. I loveeeeee snacks, healthy, of course. You will also attend one or two follow-up sessions later after the school year has begun. You're really going to like this workshop. Everything that you will see you will be able to take back to the classroom and implement.

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2008

Thanks for the heads up, corps2005. My P said it would be good for me, and you have just reaffirmed it.

Did you catch that, Tasha?

And I am ALL about good snacks, too!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2008

We have contracted with them for inservice training at our school. I attended one in-school workshop this year.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 13, 2008

*I knew the snacks would be good - my district is very good about the food! :lol:

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

I went to the Math and Literature class last week and it was great. I did wish that they sped things up a little and spend more time in your grade level groups. You have a color group that is a mix of all grades and they have you draw cards to sit with different people at each session. I enjoyed this because it keeps you from sitting with the same people and gives you a chance to hear how other grades/schools are doing things. You also have a grade-level grouping where you come back to discuss things that are specific to the grade you teach. One thing that you might want to be prepared for is that you spend part of the time doing adult math - things that are learned in college and that you may not know/remember. They want you to remember how it feels to be a learner so that you can set up better learning experiences for your students. Make sure you bring a scientific calculator with you just in case. I think that you are going to a different workshop, but they are all supposed to be the same format with different content.

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2008

Tasha, thank you SO much for the update! Sounds like they keep the seminar interesting -- and I like the idea that they like to mix the crowd up a little.

As a new teacher, do you think I will find the seminar helpful?

And BTW, how were the snacks? :) :) :)

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

I've gone to two different ones, and Tasha did a good job of explaining what you do. Our school didn't allow any snacks at our site (nor drinks!) so that was a drag :( But the workshop was great. You will get so much out of it.

I did the basic Math Solutions one week course, and the Intro to Algebra one week course (different years.) I had some colleagues who did the Math and Literature course, and while they enjoyed it, they said it was not as good as the basic Math Solutions workshop (their opinion.)

By the end of the week I was a little tired, but I really learned a lot that I could use RIGHT AWAY! That's what I loved best about it -- you could use some of the ideas right away, and save others for another year.

I think you'll really enjoy it.

12. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 24, 2008

Loved It

I went to one 2 years back and loved it. My brain was fried at the end of each day because I had to access algabra formulas that I have not used since college. You are taught the techniques using math on your level and then the last part of each day you meet in grade levels to see how to use them in your teaching and classroom.

We were given homework each night to complete as well. We had a reading and some problems to work out.

The resources that you get are excellant. I have since changed grade levels but sit use those resources.

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2008

Thanks so much for the positive feedback, RainStorm and MJH.

If I am going to use up one week of my free time for a seminar, I want to know that it will be worthwhile -- i.e. help me be a better teacher.

All the info I have gotten is leading me to believe this will be a worthwhile venture!

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

It will definitely give you a great resource for planning lessons. I think I forgot to mention that you will get the book that goes with the session you attend and your grade level. For a new teacher it will give you a chance to mingle with some of the other teachers in your district as well! I think I know what session you are going to because 2 teachers from my district are attending it as well to scout out if we want to add the differentiation session for next summer.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

:lol: The teachers that went last year to About Teaching Mathematics said the exact opposite!

16. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2008

If it's in the Gulf Coast area, tell them I will see them there!

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

In addition to the book, they also give you a small manipulatives package -- which is a great way to start using manipulatives. Just be aware -- they sell books at these workshops and you can go BROKE buying books!!! Check with your school before the workshop. My school already had an entire set of almost every book on sale that we could check out for free! Why buy it if the school already has it?

18. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2008

Thanks for the tip, RainStorm -- I will leave my money at home!

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 25, 2008

What company/individual sponsors this workshop? I have never heard of it in my area, but it sounds like something I would be interested in.

20. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2008

Hey Missy,

Here's the web site for Math Solutions

http://www.mathsolutions.com/

Go through all the tabs for lots if info.

The one I am attending is sponsored by my school district.

21. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 25, 2008

Math Solutions is the company name, but most people call it by the name of the founder -- Marilyn Burns.

22. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

This may be off the "math solutions" topic but if you are near Dallas, the CAMT (conference for the Advancement of Mathamatical Teaching) is coming up in July 9 - 11.

I hear there are a lot of freebies as well as awsome workshops.

http://www.utdanacenter.org/camt/

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 25, 2008

Nowhere near Dallas, but thanks for the info! I have heard of Marilyn Burns!