Anyone an ETS Exam Rater?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, May 14, 2016.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2016

I am for CAASSP, which unfortunately is just seasonal in the spring. I didn't know that when I first applied. I just applied for what was open at the time. I'd really like to score for other exams year-round. It seems if you get hired & it happens to be for a seasonal exam, you aren't allowed to score for other exams. But, for those who happen to apply & get hired & it's for a year-round exam, they can score it all...seasonal AND year-round exams.

Anyone know how a seasonal rater can get on for year-round projects too?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 14, 2016

I do several different programs. None are full time. But I work one or two weekends a month and make three to four hundred dollars a month.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 15, 2016

OK, you must have happened to get on with a year-round first & then applied for the others & got on, correct?

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 15, 2016

Actually I got on with ETS when they had NBPT contract. I now grade for them and Pearson.

otterpop likes this.
  6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2016

I see, thanks.

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 17, 2016

I just applied and was accepted as a CAASSP rater and am curious to see how it is...the pay is low but I figured it would be a good way to gain insight into the exam. Is it worth it, in your experience?

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 17, 2016

I worked for ETS during the MET (Measures of Effective Teaching) study. At the time, the pay was quite a bit to me (when I became a scoring lead monitoring others, $24/hr, compared to the $14-17/hr that I was getting subbing), and while the hours were tricky in my time zone, it was relatively easy and I could literally roll out of bed and then work on it for the 4 1/2 hr shift. It was neat to see others teach and get to reflect on my own practice by watching those, while concurrently scoring them.

In terms of it leading anywhere else - I didn't really push to try to do other work for ETS, so I can't give much background on that, just that I could never really use them as a contact/reference because they were impossible to seem to get in touch with.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 17, 2016

I haven't worked as a rater but I have worked in an ETS office for almost 9 months. I helped make several different science tests. I never knew how much work went into making those state tests. The pay when working in the office and as a question writer is quiet good. There is however if you are full time a lot of stress and sometimes travel. I was only considered a consultant so I had no benefits and I set my own hours most of the time. It was fun, I enjoyed it. I was really the science department gopher but I did learn a lot about test making and how the tests are designed.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 18, 2016

ms.irene, YES, in my experience, it's an excellent side job. This is my second yr (spring), I've been asked back. Last yr, I md $13/hr, but starting this time, it's suddenly $20/hr. Unfortunately, it's just some of April through some of July. I just wish it was year-round! I'm working every single day this month & plan to hopefully do the same in June.

But that's why I started this thread. It seems seasonal workers aren't allowed to work other ETS exam scoring projects & I've applied to the following (below) throughout the last couple of years w/o any reply back & I know I'm qualified. Yet if I had applied & got on for something year-round, they allow those people to ALSO work seasonal projects. Doesn't seem fair at all to me.

TEXAS STAAR ASSESSMENT
    PRAXIS: CORE
    TOEIC® Rater
    TEXAS STAAR ASSESSMENT
    Redesigned SAT
    Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT)

11. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

May 18, 2016

ms.irene and Ms. I, I don't have experience with being a rater, but now I'm curious about this side job. Did you have to pass a certification test in order to be hired as a rater? If so, was this test challenging? About how many hours did it take for you to complete this test?

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 18, 2016

While mine was for a study, so perhaps slightly different (still through ETS, though), we had to go through certification - training work/videos, then test scoring to see if we came close enough to expectations. All of it was paid time, though (I'm not sure if that's the same for others). I didn't find it too challenging, though it did require plenty of focus, and I think it ended up taking somewhere in the 10-12ish hour range...though it's been a while since I did the scoring!

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 18, 2016

I just applied through an email I got and was accepted. I haven't gone through any training yet and definitely wouldn't do it if it was unpaid!

miatorres likes this.
  14. amay50

amay50 Rookie

May 18, 2016

I have been for various programs for 13 years. Great part time job.

miatorres likes this.
  15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 19, 2016

I didn't have to pass a test to get the job. I'm sure they verified that I had my degree as they required when I applied & I got the job. But at the beginning of every work shift, I have to pass a calibration in which they give either 5 or 10 essays to score (since I choose to do ELA) & they give 2 chances to pass (45 min for each one). If a person doesn't pass both times, which may happen from time to time, they don't get to work that shift.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    miatorres likes this.