Anyone affected by the St. Louis area flooding?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cMcD, Mar 19, 2008.

1. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 19, 2008

My dad lives in the Eureka area and is evacuating. He has to work tonight and is afraid he won't be able to get back to his house in the morning, so he's putting his dog (St. Bernard) up in a hotel room overnight while he works. Then he's heading here for Easter weekend. The river is going to crest and the road to his house will be under 5-6 ft of water. Luckily the house won't be affected by the flooding.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2008

Those storms passed through my area of Texas Monday and yesterday. There were a lot of areas effected by flooding. I hope that your dad's house will be okay. Will the hotel allow him to put his dog in there by itself?

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 19, 2008

I almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar! :)

The house will be fine. It's in a higher elevation.

I'm guessing so. He said he called and booked her a room. They're going to notice a 150 lb St. Bernard walking in the lobby. There is no sneaking this dog around! I'm guessing they're being lenient because of the flooding if they don't normally let dogs stay alone. My dad works across the interstate from the hotel. If there was a problem he could be at the hotel in a matter of minutes. I told my dad to be sure to tell her not to order room service. :lol:

He's leaving to come up here tomorrow and was afraid he wouldn't be able to get back to the house to get her since the road will be flooded with 5-6 feet of water.

5. smalltowngal

Mar 19, 2008

I see you changed your avatar too! I like it!!

I'm sure that he told them where he worked too so that they know he's right across the street. Forget room service, she better not buy any movies! :lol:

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 19, 2008

Why thank you! :) I finally figured out where to get them. The ones I kept trying to upload were too big!

:lol: I should have said that! I told him to turn on animal planet for her.

7. smalltowngal

Mar 20, 2008

LOL, hopefully she's enjoying her stay! :)

8. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 20, 2008

The flooding is serious and I sympathize with anyone who is faced with losing their house, etc., but this thread is too funny! I can just imagine this huge dog lounging about on the bed, raiding the mini bar, and catching up on the movie-watching!!! :lol:

cMcD, I hope you're dad's house is ok and that the dog enjoys her mini retreat.

~Briana~

9. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 20, 2008

I have some friends who live in the flood plain in Valley Park, but they have a new levee. It's expected to hold even when the river crests. They are closing a major road in Valley Park though. I have to take a different way to get to St. Louis County tomorrow because of the flooding.

There is pretty moderate flooding in my city too where the Borbouse (sp??) River flows, but there aren't many houses down there- mostly fields and parks.

Some of my kids' subdivisions in another town are in danger of flooding, but I think by the time the river reaches them it won't be super deep- probably minor water damage in basements, that type of thing.

It's amazing to watch the flood waters but it's so scary and sad for all the people whose lives are being effected by it.

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 20, 2008

Yes, it is very serious. My dad's town flooded very badly in 1993. My dad moved in 1995. They are saying this flood could be worse than the 1993 flood. It devastated the town. My dad lives outside town in a subdivision. I told him to take pictures for me because I've never seen the river (Meramec) so high. I can't even imagine it getting that high!

I'll have to call and see how her hotel stay went! I was thinking about it last night. If there was a problem I could see a hotel staff person opening the door and seeing her standing there. I would probably slam and the door and run away if I didn't know how sweet she is.

11. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 20, 2008

On my way into St. Louis this afternoon, I drove past the flood waters in my town, and they are way higher than yesterday. I don't think the river has crested yet either. It's definitely worse then what I was expecting. It's nowhere near my house though. Thank goodness!!

I got to see the flood waters start to move over Hwy 141 in Valley Park when I was out that way. It was very bizzare.

I was pretty young during the Flood of '93, but I do remember watching the levees breaking on the news. I hope all the new levees continue to hold for the sakes of all the people with homes on the other side. The images from '93 are impossible to forget, and I was only 10 years old!