Anyone a Board/Founding Member of a Charter School?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

Anyone Started a Charter School or Know Someone Who Has?

I know someone who attended the 1st info mtg over the weekend about becoming a charter school founding member in my area. I happened to see it on her FB page that she attended. I kind of wished I had known about it. They appeared to have discussed setting up their board of directors and assigning founding committee jobs to get the process rolling. The plan is to open the school within the next 2 yrs.

Anyone know anything about this kind of thing? What does it entail? Thanks.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

A former prinicpal of mine has done that 2 times over the course of his career (30+) years. I've been a teacher at a brand new charter school. I don't know if he was involved in the very beginning stages or not though.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

I'm in the process of starting one now.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

I'm sure they'll need an SLP when the time comes. Maybe I can end up working w/ them.

To be a founder/board member, do you have to pay anything out of your pocket? If there's another meeting, I should go to it.

6. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

So, in my opinion, I would think you should probably wholeheartedly believe in the mission and vision of the charter school in order to be a founding member of the board. I've worked at charter schools my entire career and seen the pros and cons of having people be founding members because they believe in the school and those that are a part of the school just because. What is the overarching goal of this school? Does that goal align with what you believe? If so, you should definitely look into being a part of it. If not, it might not be of benefit to the school for you to be involved just to be involved. And I definitely do not mean any disrespect with that comment; just my experience from working in charter schools (great ones and not so great ones).