Anybody wedding planning?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by blue678, Jan 12, 2012.

1. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Jan 12, 2012

Hi!
    Just wondering if anyone else out there is currently wedding planning or not far removed from the process. I'm finding that with having a job like we do it's hard to find a balance between working all day, doing 'take home work' and all that comes with planning a wedding. Just looking for anybody share ideas, thoughts, etc. on what worked/didn't work for you. I appreciate it! Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2012

I'm the mom of a groom whose wedding is Labor Day weekend this year.:)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2012

Leave your schoolwork at school. Spend your time at home on fun stuff and wedding planning.

Check out www.theknot.com for help with the wedding planning stuff.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 13, 2012

Just a bit of advice. I have a friend who is sharing so much of her wedding planning on social media, and in such an obnoxious way, that many of her friends are so tired of being berated about it that they will not be attending her wedding. I know you are excited, and many of you friends care about your plans, but three or four status updates a day about you wedding that is four months away is too much! (Also, complaining about people not following rules of etiquette when you have broken almost every rule and standard there is makes you seem foolish, so don't do that.)

If you are planning to have people come in from far away from your wedding, don't have it on a weeknight, and especially not one that starts a holiday long weekend so that all of the hotels in the area were already booked a year ago.

I also agree with the above posters about theknot.com. As far as actually planning a wedding, there's a reason I did JOP on a weekday morning with only my hubby and I there. Only my mom knew before we got married.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 13, 2012

My daughter announced her engagement right before Thanksgiving! That is a story in itself. Anyway, I am working with a young woman who is getting married in the fall, and she recommended Instant Wedding Planner: Get from 'Will You?' to 'I Do!' in Record . I got it for my daughter for Christmas and she just loved it!

If you are the type who likes to journal or make lists, this is for you!

I will echo what the above have said. ENJOY this special time in your life. Leave the work at school, and leave the wedding at home. I hope you have a blast!

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2012

I will let you know. Last night BF and I were talking about insurance and we were trying to figure out what to do - I am most likely quitting my job this school year and going back to school. He is on contract with his job now, and when they hire him on full time, he will lose his insurance for 3 months. He said something that implied that we would be married this summer, so I asked him "Do you think we are going to be married by the end of the summer" and he said "Well, yeah." And I said - "I know we want to do something simple, but you realize it takes some time to plan a wedding, right?" lol

This is causing me some anxiety because in addition to the insurance and my going back to school, my sister is leaving for Africa for the Peace Corps for 2 years in June. There are many reasons why we need to have this wedding sooner than later. I know he would prefer just going to the JP - he does NOT like being the center of attention. But I do want a wedding, albeit small and low key. So I told him last night - if he wants to be married this summer, there needs to be a proposal REALLY soon! lol. (Although, telling me he thinks we will be married by the end of the summer is kind of a proposal, isn't it? haha. But I want the real thing.)

So, sorry to hijack the thread, but HOPEFULLY I will be in the wedding planning boat soon!

8. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jan 17, 2012

I'm planning! And my wedding is exactly two weeks after school lets out (what was I THINKING??) so I'm doing ALL of the planning during the school year! I'm doing as another poster said- bringing home as little work as possible. I bring grading and things like that to the faculty room with me during lunch so I can get things accomplished while I have adult conversation, and have less to do after school ends.

It also helps (sometimes!!) that I have an uber-involved fiance who is a teacher as well, so we have the same schedule and can spend that after school time splitting up tasks. I'm also being as organized as possible to eliminate stress, and I'm NOT planning when I'm not in the right frame of mind. Yesterday I spent 4 hours looking for affordable invitations that we could agree on, and it got to a point where I just had to turn off the computer and save it for another day. Tonight I'm feeling much more up to the task! Not making it a chore makes it a much happier process. :)