Anybody watching the MJ service?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by swansong1, Jul 7, 2009.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

It's quite moving.

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I was going to work on an online course while watching and I just can't. Gotta keep watching.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2009

Yes, I think it's very well put together. I'm taping it for a couple people who can't watchi right now.

I'm glad to see that it was very orderly outside of the bldg.

Usher just finished singing.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

I am watching it and recording it. I hope I don't run out of kleenex. Usher was great!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

No, I'm not.

To lose any great talent is a shame.

But this thing has taken on a life form of its own. I can see MTV covering it.

But, in light of all that's going on in the world, I can't imagine that CNN can't find something else newsworthy.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 7, 2009

yes...that 12 year old that just sang was so awesome!

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

I think the service is low key, respectful, and touching. I am not an MJ fan but I like some of his songs.

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 7, 2009

Yes! I had it on while I have been working online doing research for next year.

I am happy to see it was so well done.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2009

I wonder is Diana Ross there somewhere.

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

Oh my I need more tissue! That was beautiful!

Usher really made me cry! And the ending songs!

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 7, 2009

:agreed:

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

I think the show was very well done and the focus was on Michael's talent and humanity. I was pleased to see that the audience did not cheer for the performances of the well know performances and it remained a celebration of Michael's life.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2009

Yes, I'm glad too that the crowd knew not to cheer, clap, etc. for the singers. Everyone knew it was a somber moment & time to express their love for Michael.

Very well done!

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 7, 2009

:yeahthat:

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

Yes, I watched it.

The passing of Michael Jackson has been covered to the extent to which it has because there is enough interest to warrant it. I don't have numbers available right now, but it was just said on television that his memorial was one of the most-watched online videos ever (of course, that makes sense because the Internet hasn't been prominent for very long). The media is only giving the public what they want, generally speaking.

I watched the chat portion of The View today during which Elizabeth commented that the day he died, so did seven US soldiers, which was a record number of some sort. She wasn't happy that it received so little coverage especially during the Fourth of July holiday. This is the society we have created. If we don't like it, it can be changed because, again, the media feeds to us what the consumer or public wants.

Personally, I was very glad to have had the opportunity to watch the memorial.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

Ditto.

I had it on for a few minutes...Caught some political figure saying she was starting some sort of legislation to have MJ declared this, that and the other thing...at that point I was over it.

18. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

Yes, I watched. I was very moved by some of the performances, I also thought some people were more interested in having the spotlight on them than anything else. I am, however, glad that maybe this will put an end to the majority of the MJ coverage, because I feel he should be allowed to rest in peace. My heart just broke for his daughter Paris, my goodness. I hope peopel (esp. media) will leave the family alone and let them grieve in peace.

19. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 7, 2009

Paris killed me.......OMG that was truly painful and heart wrenching to watch.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

I was at summer school, but if I had been home I probably would have put it on. A couple of the kids said today that they should have stayed home to watch it, but that thought passed quickly.

21. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 7, 2009

I agree...I was not going to watch it b/c I was scared it was going to get out of hand. I decided to watch and I am glad I did. It was very touching.

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

I'm sure it will be on again this weekend, lol. The highlights are pretty good too...the most memorable parts:).

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

Didn't watch.
    No interest.
    Too many other important things going on in the world.
    Found it ridiculous that I had to change so many channels to NOT watch it.

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

Agreed

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

I watched it, shed a lot a tears, and am happy it went off without major problems.

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

Unfortunately, I missed it all today. :(

News coverage showed scene where little Paris spoke; she broke my heart; that poor child.

On another note...just checked out ebay and people are already selling their MJ wristbands and programs!

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

Also died this week:
    Robert S. McNamara, the brainy Pentagon chief who directed the escalation of the Vietnam War despite private doubts the war was winnable or worth fighting, died Monday at 93.

Togo W. Tanaka, a former journalist and businessman whose reports on life inside the Manzanar internment camp illuminated divisions in the Japanese-American community after the attack on Pearl Harbor and the tensions that eventually erupted in riots at the World War II-era detention center, has died. He was 93.

You would think they would deserve more than a passing mention in the news...OK, not the mass media frenzy that is devoted to MJ, but perhaps a mention for their IMPORTANCE in history as well?

28. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

I watched most of it through streaming video. it WAS very touching.

YES..other people died in the world the same day...YES there are a LOT of things going on in the world...but is it so wrong to honor a person who had such an effect on music/dance/and entertainment? (Personally-I don't think many we will see in life will be THIS effective.)

So for an hour or so I watched the service.

Brooke Shields was (surprisingly-for me) touching...I didn't think their friendship was that strong or went on for years. Jermaine's song - as well as Usher's - were SO moving. And of course Paris at the end. I was a wreck at MY mom's funeral..and I was an adult who could handle how life goes on...she's but a 5th or 6th grader. (You can imagine how devastating it is.)

Now you can go back about your lives...and the world is still a troubling place. But to take a little while to honor the man's work... I don't think it was too much.

Oh...and a side note. Farrah Fawcett. She was a very pretty and seemingly happy woman. She was an icon (or her poster was). I think she was a better actress than many gave her credit for - she did MUCH better work than Charlie's Angels.

And it IS so sad she died. She put a face to cancer that I am happy she DID. The videos will give courage and comfort to many.

But people are saying-she should be honored as much as Michael. I disagree. I don't think anyactor or actress has had that sort of effect on the world. (Like about it...Katherine Hepburn? Meryl Streep? Incredible actresses...but not as much of a world-wide phenominum).
    RIP Farrah.

29. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

I agree McKenna ...just seeing the people from other countries viewing the satellite showed how many people he touched

but I do agree that now people need to move on now that the service is over

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

There have been and currently are many many world-wide 'phenomenons'...MJ was a music idol...he changed the way that music LOOKS and sounds via his videos and dance...He opened the doors and inspired many current musical artists...I can admire that. I don't honor or respect his lifestyle and I question a lot about his 'choices'. His family deserves to honor him in the way that they choose. So do his fans. I can respect that as well...it's been a break from the real NEWS though...I just wish people took the REAL life-changing things going on in the news as seriously as they are taking this...

31. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

BTW...

did you know (I didn't know until I saw a report)

Elvis was 42 when he died.

John Lennon was 40.

(I thought both of them were quite a bit older.)

Just to keep it in perspective (in terms of music masters...after all, I am originally a music teacher).... Mozart died at 35.

There was tons of musical mastery that those men gave the world within their short life-spans.

32. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

I cannot stand Al Sharpton - BUT I loved what he said to the kids. It was very poingant.

Paris also broke my heart. This is at most a few days talk and thought for most people. But for her and her brothers it will last a lifetime.

BUT, there is a part of me disturbed at seeing his children. He shielded them because he didn't want them in the spotlight and now he is not here to protect them. I really hope the Jacksons respect his wishes and keep those kids private and as down to Earth as they appear to be.

33. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I also think it speaks to the power of the arts in our lives. They get cut constantly in schools. Kids are veered to other career choices that are supposedly more "important." But when it comes to the end of the day, maybe this man who performed and wrote music for us, music that brings memories and inspiration for a lot of people, really IS more important to us than some of the other people mentioned above. And I think that's ok.

34. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

I can understand your point...but I'll say that this has centered and put a microscope on the Michael Jackson story/admiration.

Had something like... ummmm.... healthcare... the economy.... etc had one HUGE focusing central event people probably would. But nothing intensifies a person's contribution than their death and funeral.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2009

McKennaL, I agree w/ your 5:53pm post. Nothing done to honor & celebrate him was too over the top or a waste of money, like some people may think.

And regarding Farah Fawcett, yes, she was well loved by many, but to be honored in the same magnitude as MJ?! That's not logical at all. She had nowhere near the fame that he did.

BTW, did everyone happen to catch that Michael Jackson is in the Guineess Book of World Records for donating to more charities than any other pop star? More people should know what a huge humanitarian he was.

36. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

Well put.

I watched a news report... It was the same one that spoke about Elvis and Lennon (also mentioned Morressey, Colbain, Hendrix, Janus joplin, and Buddy Holly - sorry, I can't remember how to spell some of their names). but the musical historian/reporter mentioned that with music and the death of popular musicians in particular... people start to think about their music-what each song meant to them, what they were DOING when the song/artist was a part of their lives... and the memories all come flooding back. The death of that artist is the closing of a chapter in their memories.

(Another example... when Don Knotts passed away.. though he wasn't so BIG in my life, I remembered the joy that his character Barney Fife-Andy Griffith gave me. Of a simpler time in my life and watching TV as a family. I think that's what makes people-upon hearing of the death of a beloved star- go "Awwwwwww!" even if you hadn't thought about them for years.)

37. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

ms. I, thank you. MJ was more than an entertainer. I believe he was a gentle soul who rather help other people than have the spotlight on him.

He wanted so badly to be a person.......for others to see him as a person......

It's a sad state of affairs when people stop being people (in others' eyes) because of stardom. I don't know if what I'm trying to say even makes sense. Probably not.

I just think MJ would have chose to be anonymous if he can that choice. I think his fame made him very lonely. How could anyone have expected him to be completely normal???

mckenna, I agree. some of our sadness results as a sort of death of those memories of growing up.....

38. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 7, 2009

MJ service

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch it.

I just watched the video clip of his daughter and just that brought tears to my eyes.

39. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

ABC is doing a pretty good recap with barbara walters now, and I am sure you can find it online.

40. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

Go to ABC News (on-line)... they have it all there (broken up into 12 segments...each about 9 minutes long)

41. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks.. just turned it on

I wonder if they are going to have DVD available for purchase of the memorial service.