Anybody Want to Enter the Zone with Me?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TiffanyL, May 31, 2011.

1. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 31, 2011

Okay, so much talk about looking better for summer. I personally love the Zone way of life. Its a bit complicated but so well worth it.

I was doing it consistently a few months back and then life got busy. I entered the Zone for health reasons....I was not taking care of myself and ended up with a kidney stone. I honestly thought I was dying....lol.....and afterward decided to start treating myself better. Ahhhhh.......................that was then....I've fallen back into my old ways about 50% of the time.

If anyone wants to start with me, I'll walk you through it and we can "get in the zone" together.

Let's do the following:

1. Learn about the Zone
    2. Share our daily food journal
    3. Share pounds dropped

Anyone in??

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

I may well be; I certainly need something. Quick question--can I use my own food?

4. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 31, 2011

Yes, you can use your own food. I have a long break in between meetings today with two teachers covering the office. I'll try to sit down and explain the details.

You will never feel better....honestly!! :)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

I'm in, Tiff. I know nothing about the Zone way of life though..except that Jennifer Aniston does it and she looks amazing!

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 31, 2011

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 31, 2011

I'd love to hear more about it when you get a chance.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 31, 2011

I might be interested too.

I have been really working my butt off with WW and going to the gym and I am seeing very little results. Bypass surgery started creeping into my head, and I know I need to do something drastic. I have wanted to transition to clean eating but it just seems too hard and too drastic. And then I think, well, bypass surgery is, too. So which one would you rather do? I would rather make a drastic change to my diet than to have a drastic surgery (and still have to make drastic diet changes). I want to talk to BF but I am planning on making a big change to our pantry and what we are eating every day after the school year.

9. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 31, 2011

Okay, like I said it is a bit complicated so we will take it slow. The biggest component is properly balancing your protein intake with your carb intake and your fat intake.

Humans tend to not pay attention to this at all. To begin this healthier way of eating, you need to start with the following:

STEP ONE:

1. Eat 3 meals per day and two small snacks (breakfast should start within 90 minutes of waking up).

2. Don't go more than 3 hours without eating.

3. Balance your protein, carb, fat portions.

STEP TWO:

1. Determine what your meals should look like.
    2. The average person needs 21 grams of protein per meal, 27 grams of carbs, and 10 grams of fat.
    3. Plan your meals around these gram requirements.
    4. For the two snacks, I eat 1/3 of these requirements.
    5. Each time you eat or plan your meals, you should make sure you are eating "in the zone".

This is the optimum plan for health, fitness, dropping pounds....you name it. Oh and definitely up your water intake for sure...32 oz per day I believe.

Finally, keep in mind the plan above is for average sized people. If you are a larger person, up it by about 25-30% or so. If you are a small person, decrease it by 25-30% or so.

There is a LOT of info on the net regarding how to plan your meals. Just type in "zone blocks" and you will get an abundance of helpful information.

10. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 31, 2011

Okay, so here is what I had for breakfast and lunch:

Breakfast:

1 protein shake (covered both my carbs and my protein)
    6 almonds (covered my fat requirement)

Lunch:

Protein: 6 slices of turkey, lite string cheese (also counts for part of the fat)

Carbs: Sandwich thin, 1/2 C. Strawberries, 1 C. Yogurt

Fat: Lite string cheese, 6 almonds

For snacks, I either calculate a mini meal or I eat a Zone bar, which is already proportioned correctly for a snack and is "in the zone" with regards to the proper requirements.

Hope this helps get you started. I usually drop 3-5 pounds with a few days, believe it or not. Then, I stabilize out and drop 2-3 pounds per week after that. But...like I said....you will also feel great and you will never be hungry. Cravings will also stop completely as long as you stay "in the zone".

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

Tiff~what does a normal dinner look like?

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

Okay, I've done a little reading and I'll give it a shot. Give me tomorrow to do a little more reading, create some meal ideas and do some grocery shopping and I'll start on Thursday.

Quick question--The reading recommends a late night snack. How does someone like me, who is going to bed almost before it's dark these days, deal with that?

Oh, second question--where do you get your protein shake? I've tried a few different kinds and haven't liked them much; is there a specific brand you like?

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 31, 2011

Just looking at some info; I thought this was helpful: http://catalystfitness.typepad.com/files/food-block-guide.pdf

It seems a bit confusing...a lot of tracking of food. I might try it but I'm going to read up on it more. I think just more so to be healthy...although I'd like to drop 10! But I'm tired of feeling bloated/tired/just blah!

14. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 31, 2011

Yes, it is complicated in the beginning. You really have to know your food and what you are putting in your body.

I created a list of my favorite foods and how many grams of protein, carbs and fat each food had. That helped me to plan out my meals and snacks.

As to the poster who asked about a typical dinner.....again, just use your portions: 21 grams of protein, 27 grams of carbs and 9 grams of fat.

You can eat what you want but you learn quickly that the healthier foods give you a lot more bang for your buck, so to speak. You will get to eat a lot more by choosing the right foods. You'll be amazed at how quickly you will get to the 27 grams of carbs if you add bread. If you substitute fruit for bread, you get a whole lot more food.

For my own dinner, I stick with chicken and salad. I can certainly eat lots of other things too. I just have to figure out the amount of nutrients each food item has and decide if that's how I want to use my "gram" allowance....:)

Honestly, you will never feel better, the pounds will melt off effortlessly and you will not feel hungry at all (oh, and the cravings go away completely).

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 1, 2011

:pThis is a sign of the times...I was thinking, "Is there an app for that?"

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2011

So, what are basics to stock up on at the grocery store today--lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein, anything else?

17. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

Here is what I have in my kitchen:

Fruit and Veggies
    Almonds
    Zone Protein Bars
    Atkins Protein Shakes
    Non-Fat Plain or Vanilla Yogurt
    Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt (I add a little to the above so its not so tart)
    Turkey Slices
    Sandwich Thins
    Lettuce
    Grilled Chicken
    Avocado
    Nonfat 60 Calorie Pudding Snacks (this is how I get my dessert/chocolate fix)

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2011

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/

Here's what my MIL uses to get her choc/pb fix... I don't know if you could use it for this or not!!! She uses is the dark choc one.

19. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

Okay guys, how are you doing?

Yesterday's Meals:

BF: 1 cup Yogurt with blueberries, 6 almonds, coffee

Lunch: turkey sandwich, orange slices

Snack: zone bar

Dinner: fish, salad, bread roll

Late Snack: pudding cup

**Okay, the breads throw me out of the zone a bit because they leave me taking in too many carbs. I'm "easing" back in though and still eating healthy. I'm down 1.5 pounds but I always drop the first few pounds quick and then lag a bit.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011

What kinds of things do you order when you go out? We eat out a lot.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2011

So far today:

Breakfast: 1/2 natural meusli with yogurt, cottage cheese and almond milk
    Lunch: Salad with chicken, almonds, strawberries and blueberries, and a nectarine
    Snack: apple and cheese
    Dinner will be: chicken breast, grilled peppers and spinach salad with orange sections
    Snack #2: not sure yet

How does that sound, Tiffany?

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

I probably won't follow this diet entirely because I try to eat healthy anyway, but I am in need to revisit my diet. So, I think I will follow this thread anyway. Good luck! I still have about 3 weeks and 1 day left of school, so I might get more serious once our vacation hits.

23. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

Wow!! Great job! You are getting the hang of it. You will shortly see your cravings greatly diminish and you will want this type of food rather than the "junk". You are IN THE ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

I try to stick with grilled chicken, salads, etc. But, in all actuality, I often just eat what I want. I just go back into the zone for the next few meals.

If you eat out a LOT, though, stick with the leaner foods and the veggies.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2011

The salad I had for lunch yesterday was from Wendy's; I wasn't sure about meeting a friend for lunch on my first day of a new eating plan, but it worked out fine.

Today's breakfast--yogurt (half and half plain and vanilla nonfat), applesauce, berries with a sprinkle of oatmeal and slivered almonds.
    Lunch will be the same salad I had for dinner last night.

(The trick today will be avoiding the treats in the staff room at recess--wish me luck!)

26. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 3, 2011

Good luck!! :hugs:

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2011

I'm in my office with about 15 students, avoiding the staff room at all costs....I can do this (even though there's homemade lemon-cranberry loaf).

28. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 3, 2011

A moment on the lips, forever on your hips.......stay strong!!

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

Day 3 almost done--dinner tonight was cod, pan-fried with a little olive oil, lemon juice, dill, mushrooms and onions, spinach salad with strawberries, onion, sliced almonds and balsamic vinegar, and green beans. Yummy!

My only carbs the past few days have been from fruit, veggies, and yogurt and it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be. I haven't had the time to sit down and make the lists and menus that I would like to (hopefully I can do some of that tomorrow), so my ratios are probably a little off, but I think I'm close. I picked up some protein powder for breakfast smoothies and some Zone bars to keep in my desk drawer at work in case I need a snack.

The hardest thing has been the timing of meals and snacks. I'm up at 5:00 and am supposed to eat within an hour of getting up. Lunch isn't until 11:55, which is a long time away! I don't, however, want to have a snack at recess, because it's too close to lunch. Another couple of weeks and school will be done and that part will be easier.

30. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jun 5, 2011

I might try this summer as well. I start a boot camp on Monday, so I want to see how the first week of that goes beore I make the next change :)

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2011

Great idea about mixing the plain/vanilla yogurt--I'm stealing that one!

32. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 5, 2011

Yes, you can end up eating about a whole cup of yogurt for approx. 110 calories. Can't beat that....filling and healthy.

33. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 5, 2011

I'm starting late, but I'm in. I was going to restart South Beach but really hate giving up all the great fruit available right now...this seems like a great alternative.
    Thanks!!

34. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jun 13, 2011

I started "in the zone" today. Just had my first meal of the new eating plan:

Yoplait Greek Honey Vanilla Yogurt
    3/4 oz. almonds
    3/4 cup milk

I sat down to plan my week last night and it took me 4 hours! :eek: But if you're thinking about starting, don't let that scare you off. It took me that long because 1) I'm a perfectionist and had to get everything exactly balanced and 2) I am a very picky eater so while breakfasts, snacks, and some lunches are easy for me; finding dinners I like is VERY hard.

I joined a website that helps you plan your zone meals, has recipes, etc. so a lot of that time last night was spent just browsing their recipes. I am hoping this will help me in branching out in the types of foods I eat. We'll see but I am excited to start this new way of eating and see how I feel.