Anybody use multi-teacher rotations in elementary school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by pastdweller, Oct 22, 2006.

1. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

When I was in fifth grade, my main class would go to the 5th grade teacher across the hall for science while his main class would come to my main teacher for social studies. Though housed in an elementary school, it is similar to the concept of teams in middle school. Do any of you who teach elementary school have these kind of multi-teacher rotations?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 22, 2006

Our "upper elem" has a rotation of 3 teachers.

4. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

I knew some rotations give the kids more than two teachers! Anybody know an official name for this multiple-teacher rotation?

5. TNTeach5

TNTeach5 Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

I teach 5th grade in an elementary school and we have a 5 teacher rotation. Our 4th grade does as well. I teacher all of the social studies, another teacher teaches English/Writing, another teachers math, another Reading/Spelling, and the last teaches Science. We have a total of 110 kids that rotate with us. I love it- especially because I come from teaching 8th grade History for 10 years. My son is in 4th grade and he loves rotating.

6. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Oct 22, 2006

We swap (switch with a purpose) for ELD. Last year we did it for Reading too, but this year we weren't allowed to. We tried to create one for Math, but scheduling made it impossible.

7. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Oct 22, 2006

departmentalized is when the kids see a different teacher for every subject (high school)

semi-departmentalized is when they go to different teachers, but some may teach multiple subjects

I teach English, science and social studies, co-worker 1 teaches reading and co-worker 2 teaches math.

I like it because you don't have the same kids all day long and it gets them ready for 4th grade...they switch in 4th as well.

8. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Oct 22, 2006

Last year, I did. I taught a block of ELA to 6th graders. It has its advantages and disadvantages. My 5th graders had one of the 6th grade teachers for science and another one for math. I taught them ELA and SS.

My son is 6th grade at a private school and he has a different teacher for every subject. He had it like that in 5th also.

9. madwoods

madwoods Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

I teach two classes of fifth graders Reading/Language Arts and Social Studies and my team teacher teaches Math and Science to our two classes. I love it! We work together - team - for a lot of things beyond our two classes and each of us is considered one of the classes homeroom.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 23, 2006

Our district has started it in 3rd grade. Our upper elementary school is 3rd-5th, and is also set up in families. 2 3rd grade, 3 4th grade, and 2 5th grade rooms can be seen in one wing. It's mixed-up quite a bit like that.

11. busybee

busybee Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

YES!

I am in a district in Florida that the students start switching classrooms in Kindergarten! Every student has a homebase teacher that teaches them theme (Science/Social Studies) which is also multi-age (K-2). Then most of them switch to another teacher for reading/writing. Then some switch teachers again for math. They transition pretty well after a few weeks into it. But I am not a strong believer in the whole concept.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 1, 2006

I have taught 4th grade in both self-contained and departmentalized, and I definitely prefer self-contained.

13. madwoods

madwoods Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

I think a lot of it has to do with your team or coworkers. My teammate and I get along so well - same philosophies and similar personalities for the most part. We seem to compliment each other. :) If I didn't have that - I'm not sure if I would love it as much.

14. herins

herins Companion

Nov 1, 2006

Our school only does it for French and English Language Arts, for the grades where one teacher is Francophone and not comfortable teaching English (but more comfortable teaching French than the Anglophone is!) This year only the grade 3s and 6s switch. Part of me wishes we could switch a bit more, so I could focus more on a few specific subjects. I feel like it would be less work (prep time), but I realize it has its challenges (double/triple the students and report cards, organization for classroom changes, etc.).

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 1, 2006

We do it for reading, but I hate it. I think madwoods is correct. I have totally different ideas, thoughts, and philosophies than my peers. I teach 2nd grade. We have an hour to teach spelling and reading. NOT NEAR ENOUGH TIME!!! (But we can keep the kids out for an extra fifteen minutes of recess.) I was questioned about my teaching of spelling today by peers. My peers give the students in their groups 10 words and 10 sentences to dictate. I give my students 20 words, 5 bonus words, two dictation sentences and they have to proof ten sentences that contain their spelling words misspelled. Giving the regular test and the two dictation sentences test takes at least 30 minutes. Their dictation sentences take over 30 minutes each week, plus their spelling test another 10 to 20 minutes. I think that this time could be better spent on reading.

Sorry, you hit a nerve!!

16. madwoods

madwoods Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

That would be awful. There are many great teachers out there with different ways of teaching. We broke into teams when our district added a new school and our grade was moved to an intermediate school. That's when we switched to two person teams. Teachers could ask for a teammate but admin had the last call. There were five teams to start with and the teams were pretty solid until some teachers retired or moved. Then we had new hires put with existing teachers...not always a good match. I really think that the team is the most important aspect of success.

17. bernie

bernie Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

I teach fifth grade in an elementary school. I teach science to all the fifth-graders and my colleague next door teaches history to all the fifth grade students. We call it rotation.

18. katenar

katenar Cohort

Nov 2, 2006

Our fifth grade team actually does that. We have five 5th grades and we rotate every 3 weeks. So for example, my class had me for 3 weeks (3 days a week for 50 minutes) for Science. After those three weeks were up they went to the next teacher for Social Studies for three weeks and they will continue to do that until they get back to me. Then we start the rotation all over again. So instead of me having to have lessons for about 10 units of study, I only have to concentrate on 2. As my class goes to the other teachers, I have their classes come to me.

It has worked out great so far and is especially nice if you have a difficult student and just want some time away from them. :) (Which this year we all seem to have about 2 in each class). Plus, we are sort of getting them ready for what they'll experience in middle school.

In addition to switching for Science and Social Studies, we also have ability grouped our students for math. So they switch for that too.

Katie
    www.kyrene.org/staff/kjensen - Check us out and and say hi!!

19. georgiajill

georgiajill New Member

Nov 3, 2006

I teach in a county with 17 elementary schools, and every school is different. In my school, we have five fifth grade classes. I am on a two teacher team. We also have a three teacher team. On my team, I teach my homeroom reading, English, writing, spelling, math, and science. My partner teaches these subjects (except science) to her homeroom. We then switch. I teach her class science, and she teaches my class social studies. On the three teacher team, everyone teaches their homerooms reading, English, spelling , and writing. They switch for social studies, math, and science. When I first started, I only taught math and we switched every hour. However, reading instruction was shorted in this method. I like being almost self-contained, but I liked the structure of constant switching. It kept me more on schedule. However, if I need more time for reading or math, I do have that flexibility.