Anybody tutor kids for the SATs?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Upsadaisy, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2012

Any suggestions for me? I just got a review book (for 79 cents at Goodwill). Have there been significant changes in the format since the 2010 tests do you know?

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Apr 19, 2012

I don't have any suggestions for you (I just started tutoring for it) but I'm 99% sure the format hasn't changed.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2012

I teach a one-day essay prep class, and the College Board website has some helpful material.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2012

I do. And I teach 2 different SAT prep courses-- one at school, one during the summer.

Please don't shoot me; I just sent you 5 PMs.

The SAT format hasn't changed since about 2006 or 2007, though there are brand new, soon-to-be-implemented rules on things like ID in the wake of the recent cheating scandal.

Also, here's the article I talked about today with my SAT class:http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...websites-for-college-bound-students-1.1900042 I think it gives some wonderful resources!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2012

Thank you, all of you. Alice, I received your wonderful PMs and responded.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2012

I would suggest to all your students that they sign up for the SAT question of the day!

I think the Blue Book is the best for students to have because it has 10 practice tests inside.

And a quick note about college confidential: It's an amazing resource and can help a lot, but kids can sometimes feel inferior there. Many of the people who post on that website have extremely high GPAs and SAT scores.

How are you thinking of teaching vocab? When I took the SAT, I though the vocab was difficult. It was my worst section, but I didn't think it was worth it to memorize 1000 vocab words for one test.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2012

It's not worth it to memorize a thousand words just for a test, true. But learning to understand and use the same thousand words in order to prepare for college - incorporating them into one's own vocabulary - is quite a different matter.

Several prep books, including the not-quite-standard Up Your Score (still my very favorite SAT prep book) and assorted offerings from the nice people at SparkNotes, recommend drawing pictures, doing charades, making up goofy sentences, and the like. Anything that gets students USING the words and not just flipping over flashcards will probably do at least some good. Working with common roots, prefixes, and suffixes is also excellent.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2012

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 19, 2012

http://www.erikthered.com/tutor/

^^^ So many great handouts and practice problems...I use these with all of the SAT kids I tutor. They are broken down into basic, intermediate, and difficult, as well as into the four math strands.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2012

What a great site!

Thank you!!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 20, 2012

Okay, that one's getting added to the list, mathemagician. And, we'll look at the SAT Question of the Day when I see her on Tues.

I won't be able to tackle the vocab part with her, but I have a nice set of flash cards for it that I'll lend her.