Anybody read "Teach Like a Champion"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by leighbball, Jul 21, 2012.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2012

I saw the book on Pinterest and decided to see what its all about. It details 49 techniques that are tied to high student achievement. Just wondering if anyone has read it before. I'm only in the first chapter, but it's an interesting read so far.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2012

I read it last year. I use some of his techniques regularly. Definitely thought it was worth reading. :thumb:

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 21, 2012

I started it but had to take it back to the library before going deep. I plan to borrow it again when I get a chance.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2012

I've read it - it's full of good practices!

6. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

Our entire staff has it and is supposed to have read it. I love it, and keep trying to use techniques in it. During the last two years, our admin. has been going over it with us at staff meetings and showing how to use techniques... It's been pretty cool. It is worth it!

7. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

Jul 21, 2012

I read it about a month ago, and now I'm rereading it. I'm really excited to put some of the strategies into practice in my classroom.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 21, 2012

I had it on my "buy" list for the summer, and I got it for FREE at a meeting last week. I haven't started reading yet. I need to start, though. I've only got a week of summer left!

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

My whole district was given copies two years ago. I regularly use No Opt Out and Stretch It. I also always greet my students at the door. Overall I think it's a good book with strategies that work and are easy to implement.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 22, 2012

Some teachers at my school read it last year. I saw some of the techniques they used and tried them also. I bought myself a copy to read this summer.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2012

I like it so far and it seems to be a fairly easy read. :) And I'm excited since the videos seem to be on youtube (the dvd is available in the library but not to take out :( )

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 22, 2012

I haven't read it but have observed teachers using the strategies. It seems like a great resource and I'm excited to read it myself!

13. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Jul 23, 2012

I read it and did a book study on it with my faculty last year. I thought it was good, but I did feel like a lot of the techniques from the book were common "best practices" that good teachers have been doing for years, and the author just gave them a fancy name. (ex: "Post It" = writing the daily objective on the board, and "Do Now" = bellwork) There were not a whole lot of techniques from the book that I felt were completely new or revolutionary.