Anybody else not have lockers???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by funeoz, Aug 3, 2007.

1. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I don't have lockers for my kiddos. There are hooks in the room for hanging things, but I'm wondering how it works in the wintertime when they have all their wet winter gear. How do other people deal with this? I'm sure the kids can hang their backpacks from the hooks, but I don't think their coats will fit there too. Any ideas?

3. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I am wondering the same thing. My classroom has just the hooks and I'm not sure where to hang coats either.

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 3, 2007

I used to have them put wet boots outside the door in the hall on newspaper and put the coats on the heater. That way they dried super quick!

Backpacks went on the desk chairs.

Kelly :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

None of our students younger than grade 5 have lockers--and all below grade 8 have to share one locker between 2 students. We have hooks in the halls where students hang their jackets and backpacks. In the winter, snowpants go there too, with hats and mitts on a shelf above the hooks. Boots are lined up against the wall under the hooks.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

I have hooks in my room and a bench under the hooks. In nice weather the kids hang their backpack and jacket on the hook. With heavier winter clothes, they usually hang their coat on the hook, and set their backpack on the bench.

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

Boots, Coats, Mittens....we don't see much of that in FL. No, we don't have lockers. Just hooks. Our hooks couldn't hold both backpacks and the clothes, so I would always see a pile of sweaters or jackets on the floor. What a mess! I ended up getting a mesh laundy basket for the kids to put jackets and sweaters in.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

Put a laundry basket or two outside the classroom for boots wet and things. Hopefully they will dry during the day.

Hang backpacks on the back of chairs or put into large size rubbermaid tubs during the day (make sure they unpack first.)

Hang coats, scarves, hats on the hooks.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

I have hooks and it does get messy during the winter months...just one of those things!!!

10. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

I have about twice as many hooks than what I need, so I just assign each child one and then leave one empty. My kinders were able to hang both their backpack and coat on the hook.

11. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Although it can look messy, coats on the back of chairs might solve your problem. It also gives wet coats a chance to dry during the day, and helps reduce sharing lice (if that's a problem at your school).

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

I much prefer jackets to backpacks hanging on the backs of chairs; the chairs don't tip and they don't take up as much room. This is what our teachers in portables do.

13. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

A co-worker of mine solved this problem in her class by purchasing several large Rubbermaid containers to put under her hooks. The kids put their backpacks in the tubs and coats on the hooks. The tubs had signs on them that said #1-5, #6-11, etc., so that the kids would only put their backpacks in the tub with their number. At the end of the year, she used the containers for storage.

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

I think the tubs for backpacks is a great idea. That's what I'm going to do this year. We certainly don't have the problem of boots, scarves, and wet coats here in Arizona!

15. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

No one in our school has lockers. We all have closets with hooks. The backpacks and jackets all hang just fine. I'm really picky and wont let them do anything until all the jackets and backpacks are hung up.

16. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

We didn't have anything...some teachers just lined up backpacks and coats on the floor somewhere, I had my students just keep there things at their desks. This year, we got cubbies that have hooks under them, so the kids will be able to hang out their coats at least. I am hesitant with coats though, because we did have a few cases of lice last year, and thankfully...they were isolated and only affected 2 families (only one student in my class was affected, as well as her neighbors who were younger).