Anybody else just not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Mar 31, 2009.

1. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 31, 2009

Now get those minds out of the gutter :whistle:. I'm starting to practice my interview q's, get the applications together and refresh my brain. The thing is though I'm just really not into it. I didn't sub this year since my UE made me more and we really needed the money. There have been some major cuts and the districts are running scared. It almost feels like what is the point? Every time I tried getting dressed up and introducing myself was a disaster. :(

I don't doubt that I'll get interviews but it'll be like a few I went on last year where they were interviewing 45 people for a position. Why are you wasting that many people's time? My dual certification in Elem Ed and ESE isn't that special. Many people now have it. I have very little to set me apart except for my passion but I worry that won't shine through. There's so many people looking right now. I'm looking into getting a waitressing gig when the UE runs out. I will have come full-circle. I will be doing the job I used to do before I ever took a single college class. It's starting to feel like futile activity. :tired:

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2009

Oh, I'm so not in the mood as well. I've been trying to get in the mood for the past month now, but still can't shake this feeling I have. I just think back to this time last year, I was finishing student teaching and absolutely on top of everything and anything job related. I had so much energy for it. This year - not so much. Ugh. I'm getting things done, but at a snail's pace.

4. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 31, 2009

Me.

EVERYDAY I keep telling myself - you need to apply for some of these jobs posted - but cant seem to get off my butt! I need to scan and upload my transcripts, letters etc....but havent yet.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2009

ditto.

This is the 7th year in a row i'm spending my spring applying for jobs. I'm getting tired of it.

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 31, 2009

I don't know how you can do it after 7 years. I'm whining about just doing it for 2 years.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

Me, too. I don't want to deal with the crap of making sure I've researched every district and school. I don't want to brush up on my buzz words or polish a lesson. Why bother? No one's dying for English teachers. I love teaching and I'm very passionate about it, but I'm pretty jaded right now and realize that there are a lot of newbies whose passion costs less than mine.

And MATGrad - I'm working at the same restaurant I worked at in high school. It doesn't get much worse than that :(

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2009

I hear ya! I'm not going to kill myself looking for a job this summer. I'm teaching until end of June and then I'm a free agent. If there is an opening around my town, I will apply. Resume, 3 letters of rec, transcripts, copy of credential. The basic stuff. I will collect unemployment, too. When it runs out and if there are no teaching positions, I will apply for secretarial positions (what I did before I took any classes!) , if there are any. Otherwise, we will just downsize everything, house, cars, etc.

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 31, 2009

Unemployment will get you through a long-period right now. I'm waiting to hear if I've been approved for a second unemployment extension. It looks as though people are getting close to a year in benefits now.

10. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

ClarNet, how have you managed to apply for jobs for the past seven years? Is there a magic job-applying potion you can recommend?

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2009

just applying to every district in a 5 county radius... fortunately around here, most districts have online applications that are linked to each other... so when you're done with one, you can upload it to other applications.

I need to go in and update them all, though. *groan*

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2009

I have two job fairs this weekend...well, two if I'm lucky. Double groan! All the districts in my area decide to hold their job fairs on the same day at the same times. I'm not looking forward to them whatsoever because I went to one of them last year and it was a total headache. Unbelievably long lines. Plus, I just started editing my cover letter...yet again! It's never ending!

13. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Mar 31, 2009

Count me in as soooo not being in the mood! :|

With our district still unsure of how many teachers they'll be laying off, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that no matter what I do, I won't be teaching next year. It's hard to get in the mood to put together resume packets with intro letters to mail out/email when I know they are just an exercise in futility. There haven't been any openings in my subject area for the past month, it used to be that science was considered high need, apparently not anymore! I've been looking for a teaching position for going on three years now and my enthusiasm is beginning to wain, in a big way.

My temporary certification expires in June 2010...something tells me I won't ever get the chance to use it.

I'm thankful to have a full time job, but when all I have ever wanted to really do is teach...it sucks big time knowing that prospect is something of a pipe dream these days.

Here's hoping that better days are ahead ofr all of us...;)

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2009

I'm totally not in the mood, either. I don't feel that my chances are that good, but I know if I don't do anything then I have no chance at all. Last year I was so into the job search, but this year I'm struggling to do the things that I know I have to do.

15. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Mar 31, 2009

I'm like all of you except I haven't even ended my ST yet. I am already sick of applying and sending things in and this reference situation. Sucks.

16. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Mar 31, 2009

I'm horribly worried. The few jobs that opened throughout the year that I applied and interviewed for had so much competition. I have a year's worth of experience but don't feel it matters. I've been on so many interviews with no result. It's depressing and they are interviewing SO many people for one job.

17. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 31, 2009

I'm applying out of the state and I'm going there next week. I feel like I should be as prepared as I can, but I so don't want to do it. I have to study for a test, fill out applications, and study interview questions for the job fair. Yet, it all sounds horrible. Luckily, today one of my references said she was contacted. But, she didn't tell me by what district. I was just so happy that someone at least contacted a reference, I think that has to be a good sign and one principal actually answered my E-Mail yesterday. That made me jump for joy. I hate sending E-Mails that never get answered.

18. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Mar 31, 2009

I am still working my college job and subbing. There are no music jobs in the district I work for. I guess I'm just doing it for the money. There are no music jobs anywhere. I am so sick of it.

19. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 31, 2009

MatGrad: Great post. I too am suffering from not being in the mood. I'm sitting here filling out an app for a school in Arizona. It's like pulling teeth. I gleefully chose running 2 miles in the park today over working on this application! :eek:hmy:Like most I also feel a sense of, 'Why bother'? And yet, I know I can't think that way for long. I truly feel the "why bother" thing when it comes to California. The teaching outlook in this state is just so beyond dismal. I know it's bad in other states too, but I think CA is one of the worst.:(

20. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

today i finally finished and mailed out my last 30 application packets. i had a stack of 120 to begin with. that's only the schools from my home to about 2 hours north, an hour south, east, and west (that accept paper applications).

now i'm sitting here thinking what should i do next?! those 120 envelopes took about $160 to mail, $100 for ink, $50 for paper. i think my favorite xmas gift this year was my spiffy all-in-one hp printer, so i could print everything off, which is sad haha

i'm worn out and i've only been doing this for a few months. at least i have one interview lined up right now. go figure it was from an online application :)

i still have about 50/67 counties in my state that i haven't touched yet. i don't know if i have it in me to mail out that many more packets...figuring that there's anywhere from 1-25 districts in each county, depending upon density.

i'm DEFINITELY not in the mood!

21. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

I'm making progress as well - sent some cover letters/resumes out today.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2009

This is my fourth year... I can't imagine doing this three more times!!! BLEH! I am so glad that I am attempting to get a secondary degree and credential (science). Now, if I go to the job fair, for once I'll be in the shorter lines!! (elementary lines are always the super super long ones whereas high school have no lines!) :rolleyes:

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 2, 2009

Wow! I never imagined so many of us were suffering from job search burn-out. I think about teaching and it used to just make me so upset that I wasn't doing. It sometimes sounds as though some of us are going through a grieving process. I'm on the acceptance phase.

There is a happy little classroom for all of us out there. The journey to get there will make us stronger and even more appreciative when we do get it. Let's get our "happy faces" on and do such a wonderful job that those who said "no" will feel like total douchebags.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2009

I'm there with you all. Most of the districts around here I've already applied to so I'm just waiting for positions to open up to email cover letters and resumes out. My main district will put up an online application next month so I'm waiting for that. It's really tough this year to get motivated. Blah!

25. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 2, 2009

I'm not the least bit motivated, either. With 900+ teachers being cut in my tiny little state, in addition to all the newbies who are searching...I just don't have much confidence.

26. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 2, 2009

I'm so impressed to see that people are sending out 40+, even 100+, applications! I'm stuck where I am and will only do 45 min. as a commute each way. (I did the hour+ thing during student teaching and it was awful.) I have a job fair on Monday, so I've gotten my portfolio created and resume packets for the districts I'm interested in.

I just hate filling out the online applications. I think the districts intentionally slightly adjust the short answer questions so you can't cut and paste easily. You have to re-write or start from scratch constantly. I spent all day working on this and I'm still not done.

Is it sad that I'm looking forward to wine the night after the job fair?

27. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2009

:lol:

I won't be treating myself to wine, but I'll be treating myself to a very large coffee this Saturday before I head out for two job fairs!

28. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Apr 3, 2009

When I was looking I easily applied to 100 schools. That was about 2 years ago. My first job was awful--it was the only offer I got out of countless interviews. Then I did a total of 2 applications last year because I didn't wanna go through all that again: The NC statewide one, and I also sent in my cover letter/resume to a posting in Ohio. I interviewed for the Ohio job but it was not offered to me. Then my now-P called from NC and I flew here to interview and 2 weeks later I moved. It was dumb luck and I wound up in a FANTASTIC building!

Don't give up. Sometimes you have to do grunt work somewhere that isn't so great before you can land a dream school job. I'm lucky that I survived this year's staff cut so that I'm not doing it again and having to start over in a new building. Just remembering how time consuming job hunting was makes me sick to my stomach.

29. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Apr 3, 2009

*raises hand*

Is it awful for me to say I'm not in the mood when I haven't even started yet? I read all the stories on here of great and qualified people who can't find a job, and I wonder if a newbie like me should even bother.

I live in a rural area with a very small school district. I check the BOE website everyday to see if, by some amazing miracle, there might be an opening, but so far, nothing. Right now, only a district an hour and a half away from where I live has jobs posted. The optimist in me keeps trying to say that it's still early, and maybe the schools don't know what positions they need to fill yet. However, the pessimist in me is saying that the chances of anyone retiring or quitting in this economy is slim to none.