anybody coach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sizzla_222, Nov 1, 2012.

1. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Nov 1, 2012

does anybody coach or run an after school club? Do you get paid extra or do you just do it volunteer?

I am a third grade teacher and I am also a basketball coach at a local college. (the same college that I played for in college)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

I spent 18 years coaching our Speech and Debate teams.

I'm now moderator of the National Honor Society.

Both positions have paid a stipend.

4. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Nov 1, 2012

Alice that is really cool. i wouldnt have a clue how to run a debate team. is this at the high school level?

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 1, 2012

I get paid a small stipend for drama. I volunteered to do PSAT prep, and to start a DI team if there's any interest. The stipend is incredibly small for drama, and if you divide it up to only the hours spent rehearsing, it comes to less than $2.00 an hour, and that's not including meetings, fund raisers, time prepping for rehearsal, etc. Figuring in the amount of my own money I spend, I think I lose money doing it each year.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

Yes, Sizzla, it is.

Once I became a mom, it was simply too large a time committment-- after school every day, with tournaments almost every Saturday from October till March.

7. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Nov 1, 2012

Celia, do you enjoy it at least?
    I am a volunteer assistant basketball coach so I know about giving a lot of time for little to no pay. But basketball is something i have always loved and it keeps my basketball dream alive a bit.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 1, 2012

Of course I love it! If I didn't love it, I wouldn't do it. Honestly, it's my favorite part of my job.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

I've run student council in the past. Now I teach an afternoon enrichment class and also do dismissal duty...both are stipend positions.

10. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 1, 2012

I've coached baseball, football, and a little basketball, but never at the school I taught at.

"Alicecc" and "MissCeliaB" are correct, they are positions that pay a small stipend for each position. Of course, that's not why most people do it (I think the guy that coaches baseball at the school I teach at is the first one I've come across that does it because it augments his teaching salary). You have to really enjoy the activity that you're involved with and the kids.

:cool:

11. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 1, 2012

"Does anybody coach or run an after school club? Do you get paid extra or do you just do it volunteer?"
    I have coached for years and years, four different sports. Yes, I get paid, no it's not a lot, doesn't even come close to "minimum wage" for the hours I put in. But I do it for the kids, and it's fun for me, so I have never minded the low pay.

12. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Nov 1, 2012

I do the academic team and student council. Both have a small stipend. The athletic coaches get a bigger stipend.

But quite frankly, the stipend for everyone is very little when you take into account practices, games, meets, fundraising, trips, etc.

I really like stu-co. The academic team I like less but I took it because the coach quit and most of the team are in my stu-co and they asked me to take it. And I love those kids and couldn't tell them no.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 1, 2012

I was the middle school academic team coach for 5 years. I was assistant coach three years and head coach two years. Those were paid positions, $500 a year for assistant and $1200 a year for head. I also did some volunteer work with them for a few other years.

I really enjoyed it. I was young and single at t the time. I had time and energy to devote to it. I had to give it up in 2001 due to illness.

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2012

I have 5 after-school groups that I teach or supervise. I also have students come in every day of the week before school to practice for those after-school groups.

I don't get paid for any of them.

I also didn't have much of a choice of NOT doing them. There's one I could have chosen not to do, but it's my favorite group. It frustrates me at times, but I really wanted to stay at this school and also have the chance to teach music.

15. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Nov 2, 2012

thanks for the replies guys. I love that you guys dont do it for the money..... i can tell that no-one could really do these things for the money anyway.

I have always loved basketball and it was actually the reason that i came to the US... I grew up in england. Then ended up getting married and having a baby... guess i better stay lol

Coaching and these other activities fit in so well with teaching.

16. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Nov 2, 2012

Me too

Mine is very low too. I'm actually considered a coach, because we compete in January, so I'm technically only paid for the two months that I'm working on that show, although they haven't taken in to consideration that if I win, I can compete all the way through April at State. It breaks out to $2.50 an hour, for those 2 months. For the whole year, it's .50 an hour. I do it because I love it, but even our Academic Challenge team gets twice as much as I do!

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 2, 2012

I run a virtual open mic reading circle for my high school. Well, technically it isn't open because I do pre-approve the majority of the student pieces to make sure they're school friendly. Because of the nature of my school, the students go bananas over the chance to have a community where they can share one another's work and talk about it. Yes, I do get paid a stipend once a year.