Any working moms?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsHoot, Jul 26, 2011.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

I just had my first baby in April. I went back to work for the very last week of school, but that was it. I have gone to my classroom periodically with Sawyer, but that's about it. If we could financially afford it, I would love to stay home. But not possible at this point!

I am anxious about going back... I am excited to start the new school, but it feels like I will be leaving my baby forever! Any moms have any advice or tips for making it a smooth experience for all? I want to be a good teacher AND a good mom. It wasn't too difficult going back for the last week of school, but I'm not sure if it was because a) I knew it was only for a week and b) my mother in law was watching him and brought him to school at least once a day for me to nurse.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Do much of your morning prep work at night after your little one goes to bed. It gives you more time in the morning to spend together.

Save anything that is school related for work time or after you little one goes to sleep.

Don't give up nursing unless you and your little one are ready.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 26, 2011

The first week is the hardest. I agree to allocate family time and stick to it. The work will always be there, your kids are only small once.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

I have worked the entire time I have been a mom (my DD is 9, almost 10). What I do is choose a time to stop anything work related and devote the rest of the time to my family. So, at 3:30, whatever isn't done at school has to wait. The rest of the afternoon and evening is for my family.

7. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

Definitely prep as much as possible the night before. It is so nice when you are having one of "those" mornings to know that lunches, fresh diapers, and forms are all signed. As they get older they aren't always so cooperative so it is nice to have it all ready to go.

Try and make meals ahead of time. Even though your little one is nursing, you and your SO will still want healthy meals. Make freezer meals by doubling things when you cook so you have it for a few weeks later :)

Don't worry about being Supermom. Who cares if ALL the laundry doesn't get done because you and your little one spent all day playing? There will ALWAYS be laundry!

Good luck! It is tough at first but it gets easier! :)

8. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

My parents and inlaws watched my kids while I worked, so I would buy 3 huge packs of diapers, 3 huge packs of baby wipes, etc. That way I never had to worry about packing those things each day.
    Don't let the guilt eat you up. I felt guilty quite often. Here I am 14 years later and feeling guilty didn't change anything! My kids are well adjusted and well behaved. They have an awesome relationship with their grandparents which just makes my heart smile.
    Nurse as long as you can. It is such a wonderful thing and it forces you to stop and focus on your child.
    Learn to question everything you do. Make sure your efforts are necessary and well organized. Ask yourself, do I have to grade every piece of paper that comes across my desk? Or, is there a better way to organize this or to do this?
    Learn to say, "Oh, well!" Some things just aren't important. Don't let the little things in life consume you.
    Finally, take time for you. Even if it means you go walk mindlessly around a store for 20 minutes once a week! you need that time where nobody is demanding anything from you. Trust me, I know:)

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

yep - I have 6 kids! They range in age from 3-14. I remember being a single mom with 5 kids only a few years ago.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

I went back when my twins were 7 weeks old. It's hard at first, but becomes normal soon. Be organized, plan ahead, get a good rhythm to your week and you'll be A-OK. Best wishes.

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

I went back to work when my oldest was 6 weeks old and worked until my youngest was born. I returned to the classroom full time last year and now that we are in a good routine with homework, time for lesson planning etc...it works just fine! It will take some time to adjust, but it will all fall into place!!

12. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for the support! Glad to know that others have done it successfully. I will definitely have to use my time wisely and I got pretty good about now bringing teaching stuff home last year while I was pregnant. I think I will be able to manage that and enjoy our "home" time together as a family!

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

Being a family MUST be #1.

I did day care with a 1.75 year old and newborn twins...3 babies!

You must find care you trust and realize that all things are not going to be done the way you'd like.

Stock up your day care provider so you haul nothing but the baby. EVERYTHING from diapers to clothes to bottles. This way you can't forget anything. Try to take the stock up pile at a different time other than drop off or pick up.

Stay at home moms want and NEED time away from babies too.

Day care really created a strong routine for my kids. One I could use at home on weekends that really kept our time focussed.

As for school work, I left at my contracted time with no school work to do at home. Oh, I had loads to do, but my family came first. I found ways to multi task. I found a retired couple who didn't want to work with kids but wanted to help me! They copied, cut things out, hung displays, made booklets, anything!

Best wishes!

14. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2011

Get in a routine and stick to it.

Don't be afraid to call and check on your baby at daycare. It is normal.

Prepare everything the night before. Make sure you have lessons, copies, and materials ready to go first thing. The reason I say this is that you never known when your little one will suddenly develop a fever and you have to stay home to take care of a sick baby.

At 4:00 I am not a teacher anymore. I am a mommy. The papers can wait. Learn to prioritize.

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

Oh how I empathize!!!! I had my baby girl in February and took the rest of the year off and will be going back to work (not by choice- i would love to stay home with her) in August. I don't have advice because I haven't done it before but I want you to know that you aren't alone! My resolution for the year though is to use my prep times and lunches etc. to my advantage. Gone are the days or chatting with colleagues etc. Work will be done and get done so that I can leave school on time and pick up the baby and play and love her as much as possible!!! HANG in there and good luck!!!!!!!:hugs:

16. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 28, 2011

These tips have been good even for me - and my kids are 13 and 14. I am a new mom though - I just married into having the kids in 2009.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

Me! My son will be 9 months old next week. He was born in November and I went back to work in February. One thing that really helped me was easing him into the sitter. We use an in-home sitter up by where I work. I took him over to her house a few weeks before I went back just to meet her. The week before I went back, Nicholas went to her for 3 days and each day was a little longer. He started fulltime the day I went back and LOVED it. I never cried once, which for me is amazing.

I think it will be a bit harder come September because he can do so much more, but once I get done school, I am giving myself 35 minutes to get things done and then I'm going home to my family. I won't do anything with schoolwork until after he's in bed. And I will make some nights work-free so I can actually spend time with my husband :)

And don't forget you time and date nights, too!