Any tips on landing a teaching job after bad student teaching and staying home with children?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Colorado, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Mrs.Colorado

Mrs.Colorado New Member

Sep 26, 2021

I student taught a full decade ago (2011) in Special Education. I had a bad experience. I had no prior experience in education so I didn't really understand the juggling act that is involved in being a good teacher. As a result, I had poor classroom managment skills and didn't plan very creative lessons. I didn't get a positive reference from my cooperating teacher and wound up teaching preschool and stayed home with my children for 7 years.

I am now substitute teaching and have been since November 2020. I take both long term and short term assignments, so I have had the opportunity to plan my own lessons in long-term assignments as well as see the lessons that other teachers plan for me while I fill in for just a day. It just finally clicked. I am really confident in the classroom now. I really love teaching Special Education and I would like to apply next school year for permanant teaching positions. My concern is that admin/ principals will see my work history and being liscensed for 10 years with no liscensed position as a big red flag. Any thoughts/ tips?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Sep 26, 2021

Tell the truth, just frame it in a way that makes you seem like a good employee or like you had a good reason for being out of the classroom. Having young children is a good start- no one will hold being present for your children against you. ". . . now that all of my kids are in school . . ."

Backroads and Mrs.Colorado like this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 26, 2021

Additionally, you have probably gained so much more from your time as a substitute than you did as a student teacher, especially in terms of behavior management and setting expectations on a daily basis. Keep that as a major plus.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 26, 2021

I don’t think you need to talk much about your student teaching. Briefly mention it in your intro, explain the employment gap positively, then lead the discussion to subbing. You can get recommendations from people you currently work with.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Sep 27, 2021

I work with a teacher who was a professor of education for years. He says he is sad to say much of what he taught his student teachers was irrelevant to the real world of education. That said, most student teachers are trying to apply what they learned in college and have yet to find out that stuff is not always going to work. Additionally, most teachers can attest their first year was horrid but they learned from it. Bottom line, a bad experience 10 years ago maybe a good thing as long as you can grow from it.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Mrs.Colorado

Mrs.Colorado New Member

Sep 27, 2021

That's interesting. I wonder why cooperating teachers expect you to teach like a seasoned teacher then.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2021

Playing up , or focusing on, your preschool experience could help. Also, the subbing is great! Can you get letters of recommendation from that? I know in a lot of states they are so desperate for special ed teachers to stay in compliance that I think you could land a job next year no problem. Here they will hire a warm body if you are certified in sped. :)

9. Mrs.Colorado

Mrs.Colorado New Member

Oct 1, 2021

Yes! I am so thankful for all my experiences subbing. One plus of the substitute shortage is that I get to choose from a number of different jobs and I don't have to just take the first thing that's available.

Tired Teacher and catnfiddle like this.