Any tips on how to clean blinds?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Jul 10, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

I am trying to get everything really clean before I move out so that hopefully I can get most of my security deposit back. My living room has those huge vertical blinds that basically take up the length/width of the entire wall. I spent probably an hour today trying to clean them first with clorox wipes and then with 409 when the clorox wipes weren't working. I only got through about 10 pannels (less than 1/4 of them) and I swear they don't look one bit cleaner. I tried to google it and everything was talking about taking them down and putting them in the bathtub or using a hose. For one, I don't have a hose since this is an apartment, and two I don't think you can take them down, and 3, they're way too big for the bathtub. I'm wondering if they just look dingy b/c they're old and I should just leave it. Anything I'm missing?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2012

I take them down (you just pull the clip apart) and put them in the bathtub (they just curve around) with lysol or whatever cleaner. I wipe them down with a sponge and lay them out on an old sheet and dry with a towel. You can let them soak if you think they need it. The material does yellow somewhat with age, or if anyone has smoked, but you can easily get the dust and grime off. Honestly, I probably do it every year or two but should do it more.

Hoping to replace them with something better that will survive the dogs if I can ever figure out what that is and afford it.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

Buy new ones. :)

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 10, 2012

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers....they are a.maz.ing!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2012

Taking them down really is the best way.

I took down a dozen sets of mini blinds earlier in the summer. I've tried many methods, and even though it is a PITA, it is still the best way. They are flexible enough to curve around the tub.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2012

I used apple cider vinegar on my mini-blinds. It seemed to cut through the grim.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2012

Get cleaning white vinegar & mix with some water & you have a natural cleaner that's good for cleaning EVERYTHING. I keep a spray bottle in my kitchen & bathroom.

Does your apt have ridiculously light-colored carpet like my apt? I know they do it to make the apt appear larger, but it's horrendous to keep cean as careful as one may be. I don't even wear regular shoes in my apt, I have house shoes & keep all my regular shoes stored in the coat closet right at the front door. Yet, I don't want all these tacky plastic runners all throughout the place either.

I hope you get your deposit back.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2012

You can take them all down, lay them on concrete, spray a cleaner (vinegar is great), then hose them down. Leave them in the sun to dry.

10. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 10, 2012

Try the Lyson wipes that have the purple scruby lines on them. I had to do the same thing at my last apartment. I took one lysol wipe in each hand and pressed them on either side of the blinds (give it a lot of pressure) and wiped done from top to bottom. It help to have someone hold the top steady, so that you can really put pressure on each side without pulling them down.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

That was my solution for the drip pans :)

Thanks for the ideas!