Any tips for this?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by missythemom, Jan 20, 2012.

1. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Jan 20, 2012

I will be subbing in a Kindergarten classroom for a full day this upcoming week.:D I do have some experience with this age group because of my daycare experience and also because of my own children, however I am looking for some advice on keeping the day running as smoothly as possible. Any tricks of the trade for the Kindergarten set? Any would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance :)

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 21, 2012

Keep them moving! When my kinders get wiggly we stand up, count to 100 with some sort of movement, marching, jumping up & down, etc.

Read to them, it's great for calming.

4. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 21, 2012

Kinder is my favorite grade. Hopefully the teacher will leave you a good lesson plan. Keep to it as closely as possible. If you have experience with young children, you know that staying as close to their routine as possible will keep them calmer than if you go in and try to do new, fun things. They'll want to walk you through the day and tell you how to do things exactly the way their teacher does them. Assure them that you know what they (and you) need to do, but if you stand instead of sit like their teacher does, or if you do the calendar before the weather, everything will be okay. Sometimes teachers do things in different ways.

I also like to bring a couple of children's books that I can share and tell them I brought very special books from my house to read to them. That usually goes over pretty well.

Have fun!

5. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

Jan 22, 2012

Kindergaren is usually easy. They only time I hated it is when I was left emergency sub plans. It did not follow the day they were used to. The did not have the groups that rotate they were used to. It was a box with theamed stuff in it and the kids said they had done some of it the last time they had a sub as I was setting them up to work. The k days I liked have just followed their normal day. But you will be tired at the end of the day. You ar busy all day long.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2012

Jen12 said it well.

I was very nervous about subbing Kinder and it quickly became my favorite grade. They are SO cute about knowing their routine (and sometimes very attached their routine). I always brought some of my own books to read aloud. It's a great way to catch your breath and a good filler if you don't understand the sub plans. It's also nice to turn down the lights and read to them after lunch and recess to calm them down.

I also used to bring a Dragon Tales video and dvd in my sub bag for lower elementary (for use when all else fails, or for a reward.)

One thing that worked really well when marching them down the hallways was to play "quiet as a mouse." We would creep like quiet little mice. You'll find some students are very attached to being the line leader. You also may notice that they are trained to stop at key spots and wait for the line to catch up. They are SOOOOOO cute :)

Oh, they might know to sit quietly on the floor when you say criss-cross-applesauce.

I just remembered ... the head, shoulders, knees and toes game is fun. Simon Says, Hokey Pokey ... you probably know more of these activities than I do because of your own kids :)

7. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Jan 23, 2012

Thank you all for the great tips! I go in tomorrow so wish me luck!! I am pretty excited about it :)

8. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Jan 24, 2012

Today went really well :) The kids were pretty chatty but they did a very good job overall. You were quite right about the routines :) I had a very detailed lesson plan to use and they told me what came next before I even had to look at the form LOL. We managed to get through all of our lessons and I even got some hugs and a very nice picture colored for me by one of the kids ( that is my first "gift" from a student so I am gonna be keeping that one forever <3 :) So thank you all for your advice it was a great day today!