Any tips for easier nap time?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MommyMoo, Oct 20, 2007.

1. MommyMoo

MommyMoo New Member

Oct 20, 2007

everyday is a nightmare at nap time! it's right after lunch and they all act like they're on uppers! they don't have to go to sleep but they do have to be quiet and a few of them are just horrendous! does anyone know any tricks for how to make the transition to quiet time easier? tia!

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2007

I'm not involved in the naptime at all, but I have noticed that they do have a problem getting the kids to "winddown"; especially since they have eaten, played outside, gotten water and gone to the bathroom.

I would:

make sure I have all the kids sit with me on the rug while I read them some stories - reminding them that this is listening time and when I am done with the 2 books, it will be naptime.
    When I am done with the second book, I will remind them to quietly walk/crawl to their mats and lay down; by this time, the night lights should be on.

I don't know...I think you have to have them ease into it.

4. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

My kids eat lunch at 11:00 they are usually done about 11:30 nap is at 12:00. This time of the day is usually the most hectic time of the day for us. However we have done some things that make it work pretty well and most of the kids are asleep by 12:15 and the ones who are not are quiet and are almost asleep.

11:30- or when done with lunch children get a book and go to the carpet (I found it was much calmer to have them on the carpet and not at their cots)
    11:30-11:45 teacher calls children to use the bathroom
    11:45-12:00 One teacher reads two books to the children or the teacher used a book on tape (these really keep my kids attention) the other teacher may be cleaning up from lunch or still doing bathrooms
    12:00 is lights out and we use nap music to help them know it's nap time.
    12:00-12:30 Both teachers sit by the children. In the beginning I may rub backs but by now I just sit near them and they can fall asleep on their own.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 21, 2007

OUr 3 & 4 year olds eat lunch at 12:00. We send them for water and bathroom as they finish eating, then they can get a couple of books to take to their cots. Rule is, stay on your cot & quite or no books. Some days there are more wiggles than others. On those days they get on their cots & the teacher reads or tells a story and or they play "the wiggle game". For this they lay on their backs & the teacher has them move various parts of their bodies start at the head & move down then go back up. Include head (up, down, left, right), eyes(up, down,left,right,open, close, squeeze,blink fast/slow), mouth (same as previous + happy, sad, surprised, etc), raise shoulders, one at a time, together, ...you get the idea. The children love this & know when the game is over the wiggles are gone & all is still & quite. Soft, calm music also helps. If a really "off" day, can you take them outside for a quick walk? Do some fast/slow walking, jogging, crawling, hopping, etc. Vary it but have the last few movements slower & calmer. Hope this helps.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 21, 2007

sleeping pills in their juice?

7. charmed3

charmed3 Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

My kids like their "sleepy spray". I spritz a little bit of spray, like from the Healing Garden on their blankets and stuffed animals. They get the spray when they are laying quietly and believe it or not, it actually does seem to help some of them settle down. We've also started listening to stories like the Classical Kids series (Beethoven Lives Upstairs, Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery, etc.) or George Winston's Velveteen Rabbit for the first 30 minutes of naptime then sleepy music after that.