Any thoughts on how to get this classroom back?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Feb 20, 2010.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Feb 20, 2010

Over the last couple years, I could count on working about 8-10 times per year in a special ed class. The teacher knew that I knew the kids, so she would request me. I would share responsibilties with her aide.
    Then, earlier this year, I was a witness to losing her class to another sub, no thanks to her aide.

Another sub who I had never seen was in the lounge, as was the aide. The aide heard her say that she enjoyed special ed. The aide than enthusiastically told her that she should leave her name with Mrs.... so she could sub in her class.
    This happened in front of me.
    I had a good(or at least neutral) working relationship with this aide, and was not too thrilled to see her try to replace me before my eyes.
    This was near the beginning of the year, and I have not subbed in her class since this event.

I would like to know how I might go about tactfully trying to get this class back should I return to the school. I could sure use this class to increase my work days.
    Any suggestions would be welcome.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2010

Next time you're subbing at that school pop your head in and say hi to the teacher, "I'm just down the hall and wanted to say hi!" If the students liked you, they will greet you enthusiastically - which is the best sales point. Then remind her that you're available next time she needs a sub.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2010

:
    :yeahthat:

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 20, 2010

I agree w/ Special-t. Also, I don't know about you, but ANY teacher I don't mind subbing for, I email them at their district email. I title the email: Your Substitute is Available & in the body, I state that I'm available on these days & times & I tell them to please not hestitate to request me & I leave my name, sub #, home email, & home phone.

I send out emails like that at the start of every school year to numerous teachers as well as maybe halfway through the year, so they don't forget me.

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Feb 20, 2010

Sounds like a good idea.

I might also greet the kids in line before school as well.

I haven't been back to this school since I lost this class, but if the opportunity arises, II will take it.

I am not sure about the district e-mail idea because I rarely ever see these addresses.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2010

Could you make up a reason to stop by? Had to turn in something, had to stop and see so and so? Sometimes you have to get creative and make the opportunities...

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Feb 21, 2010

Yes, I think it would be neat if you were able to re-establish yourself with this class, but I also think subbing by nature is a mercurial business.

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." Make new favorites in other classes.