Any tech teachers?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by teacherguy111, Oct 10, 2019.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 10, 2019

Hello!
    I have the license to teach k-12 computers/technology in my state. I currently teach 4th grade. Does anyone here teach middle school or high school tech/computers/IT? I think I would enjoy the switch even though the jobs don't come up very often. I'd more than likely have to wait a few years.

What do you like about it? What don't you like?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2019

My DH is a middle school computer teacher. He loves it He switched after 22 years as a math teacher. Less accountability stress than in the math classroom.

He doesn't mention this, but I'd think that a down side would be that he is the ONLY person in his building who teaches computers, so he has no partner teacher. His team is all of the specials teachers, and they are all different subjects.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 10, 2019

Yeah I've never really had a teaching partner except for this year anyway. Next year it would go back to no partner again. I also just find computers really fascinating and it doesn't feel like studying just following curiosity.

5. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 20, 2019

Anybody else have any experience with this?

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2019

In NJ, if you can show them that you can teach it, there's really not a huge hoop to jump through to get hired, at least through the MS. What I have noticed is that in HS, whoever teaches computers becomes one of the IT people, which is not as prevalent in the schools under HS. I have done some long term subbing in computers, and all went well.