Any Teaching Credential Programs that don't require CSET

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jmemoirs, Oct 31, 2014.

1. jmemoirs

jmemoirs Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

I've taken the CSET Social Science tests before and haven't been able to pass.
    Now, I know I'll pass eventually, but in the meantime, are there ANY California Institutions that offer Teaching Credential Programs that don't require the CSET PRIOR to admission? Maybe one where you can pass before graduating from the program?

I just hate that not passing means I miss the deadline for University applications and it stalls my journey to become a teacher for another 6 months.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

About 10 years ago when I was in the credential program, we had to pass CSET prior to student teaching--not prior to taking the methodology courses.

Some of my peers couldn't student teach since they hadn't passed CSET.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 31, 2014

I would contact the colleges you are interested in applying to. They may let you in under specific conditions. I think there were a few people who were in my credential program who did not yet pass the CSETs but were taking the classes with me even though our college stated that you were required to have passed the CSET before attending.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

I think taking it prior to admission makes a lot of sense. Too many people find out AFTER they've spent time and money to teach, that they can't pass the required tests.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

At National University we just had to pass the CSET before student teaching. Most of the state universities had stricter requirements, and needed CBEST and CSET before even applying.

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 31, 2014

Depends...where in CA are you?

8. jmemoirs

jmemoirs Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

I'm in Los Angeles, but I would be very open to going anywhere where I can begin a credential program without first passing the CSET

9. happybat4

happybat4 Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

I was accepted into Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State Sacramento and the University of La Verne without passing the CSET. You just need it before student teaching usually

10. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 31, 2014

CSULB will take you without CSETs, but like mentioned above, you'll need to pass them before you student teach. CSUF requires that you have CSETs complete prior to admission. CalStateTeach (online through the CSU system) will allow you to apply without CSETs, but if you do, they put you in a 4 semester track program with the first semester being a CSET study group course (a good option for someone struggling to pass).

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2014

jmemoirs, what are you seeing on your CSET score reports, and what's your background in social science?

12. jmemoirs

jmemoirs Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

@TeacherGroupie I got my results directly emailed to me, same as CBEST. Altho you can see it on the official website where you first sign up for the test.

I graduated from Cal State Northridge with my degree in Sociology, so Social Science seemed like the appropriate choice

13. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 31, 2014

Ohhh, I'm sorry, I assumed you were talking about the multiple subject CSET...my info I gave was for multiple subjects, not single subject. CalStateTeach doesn't offer single subject, unless you're willing to get the multiple subject credential with them and then add on a single subject later (definitely doable). I know CSULB's single subject rules are the same as I typed above, as are CSUF's. I've spent many months switching between single and multiple subject, lol.

14. jmemoirs

jmemoirs Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

Oh it's fine!
    I'm actually SO GRATEFUL you let me know about those institutions!
    I applied for CSULB, and tomorrow was actually the deadline! So I really REALLY appreciate you letting me know! :)

I'm not worried about the CSET anymore. If I don't pass all 3 sections tomorrow, I'll still have another chance without compromising any progress on my road to my credential! Thank you so much.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2014

jmemoirs, I wasn't asking whether you'd gotten a score report, I was asking about the diagnostics on it, on page 2.

One quick hint to you: if you think you're writing essays, don't. CSET responses are brain dumps: you don't have to write pretty, but you do have to make sense.

16. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 2, 2014

Perfect, glad it was helpful! :)

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2014

Cal State Teach allows you to take a fifth term and they actually help you pass it. Their program was very helpful for me to pass the math. This was for mult subject. For single, it would be worth asking.

Teacher Groupie is a wealth of information concerning the CSET. I do believe that you still do classes to prep for the CSET Teacher Groupie?