Any teachers using Audacity or other audio recording?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Nov 6, 2008.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 6, 2008

After finishing my first marking period as a Title I teacher, I've finally realized that half the reason my students are having trouble is because they're simply having trouble reading the material. Fortunately, our school has software known as Audacity. I've just started recording lessons for all the teachers in my grade who have "non-readers" in their classes as a supplemental aid. My department chair is ecstatic about this and wants me to record lessons for other grade levels (I have a radio background and am not afraid of listening to my own voice).

Has anyone else found this useful? Does anyone else take advantage of this kind of software? This may be more widely used by Special Education teachers (the teacher who trained me on the software was from our Department of Exceptional Children), but I don't know of anyone else who is recording audio lessons.

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2008

I use it a lot and I am not special ed. I use it to record the stories that my children write and then I post it om my website.

4. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Nov 6, 2008

I'm not a teacher yet, but I've been using it for class projects and can absolutely see the potential for a classroom setting. It's very user-friendly, too, which is always a bonus!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 6, 2008

Oh GOOD! I just used it for the first time today and really like it, but I'm still trying to figure out some things. How do you split your recording in half? I have a ten minute for my uploads and my recent recording was way over that.

6. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

7. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Nov 7, 2008

Hi
    I don't use the program the way you do, but that gives me ideas. Thank You!

My newly turned 8 y.o. son uses Audacity for recording his own music. He knows how to use the program better than I do! He some how saves the wav files to iTunes. He also makes movies with a program called Photo Booth and uses his Audacity recordings in his movies. He figured most of that out on his own. I think my husband showed him once how to do a wav file.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 7, 2008

We use Audacity for our radio show, and I use it for other purposes at home. Do you have any questions regarding the program? I generally know a lot about it. :)

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 7, 2008

Actually, yes. If I exported a file to mp3, can I send it back to Audacity and then cut the file in half? We have a 10 minute maximum for files and my first attempt was 12 minutes.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 7, 2008

You can take parts out, and you can also cut the file in half to make two. You take the cursor and select. You may take the cursor, push the backspace button to erase, and then create a part one file. Then you can go in again to the original file and cut out the part you already saved to create the part two file.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

It works! I just posted two audio recordings to my online classroom, and the timing could NOT be better. A parent just called to let us (my team teacher and I) know that her student has severe reading deficits. Now we have a way of helping them both.

I'm so excited about this! :woot::thanks:

12. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

We use it in several ways at my school. We have ipods that teachers use to record any information they want onto them. Our struggling readers take them home with packets and use them to work on their reading. Science teachers use it to record lab instructions for students to use during class. We love it!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 11, 2008

Is this a free download? I don't have time this a.m. to really check it all out. This is all new to me and I'm very interested in it. My questions may seem stupid, but I just don't know. How do you do the recording?

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Nov 11, 2008