Any teachers going into their 3rd year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, May 7, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 7, 2011

I'm so afraid going into my 3rd year. Its kindof like I should know the ropes now and be confident in my teaching but I'm not. I have so much to learn.
    I am afraid the expectations for me will be high now.

Am I the only one freaking out about next year?:dizzy:

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 7, 2011

After teaching two year what "ropes" do you not know? Maybe you are selling yourself a little short. Confidence comes from within...... reach for it.....

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 7, 2011

Yes I know Major. I just get clouded by what others have been saying about me going into my 3rd year:

"you know what your doing now"

"now you have no excuses to not know"

"welcome to teaching"

etc..

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 7, 2011

See I'm in an odd point: I'm finishing up my 3rd year of teaching, but this was my first year in a new school with about twice or three times as much work compared to my first two years. So really I felt like a half-way-through the first year teacher this year.

I can't wait for next year--- heck I can't wait for this summer vacation to start so I can plan for next school year! Both my principal and my headmaster said the first year about survival but I know that there is added pressure because I really can't have too many bumps next year (I had a few this year). I'm trying to just stay positive though and focus on the good things I can plan for.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 7, 2011

I think instead of worrying about it, just embrace it. Like Major says, confidence is key. View yourself as a teacher who now has not only education, but experience behind her as well. You are valuable, intelligent, and making a difference in your students' lives. There is nothing to be worried about, because there is no goal you can't reach.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 7, 2011

Well put, Tami........ you are a very bright young lady.....:)

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 7, 2011

Aw, thanks Major... :blush:

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 7, 2011

I'm WAY past my third year, but I remember not feeling really comfortable in my position until around year 5. By that time I was really starting to understand the school and the routines and my curriculum.

Of course, even as I finish year 18, there is still a lot to learn. We're switching to the common core standards next year, which will change everything.

I think that no matter how long you've been teaching, you should always continue to learn and improve yourself.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

We always have more to learn. Don't let the new expectations stop you from asking questions, getting answers, and doing your job to the best of your ability.

Year three is the time for you to start fine tuning lessons, putting your own spin on things, digging a little deeper, and really focusing on students.