any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by msfinkin, Oct 12, 2004.

1. msfinkin

msfinkin Rookie

Oct 12, 2004

hey everyone!
    ok so I need some help with one of my students. He is in K and has gone to preschool. He is a very smart child , he knows his letters, sounds, words, very excited to learn, every teachers dream! But... he is very, very, very slow. He walks slow in line, walks very slow to cubby and is almost in a dream like state. What, if anything can I do to help this child speed up in these areas. Sometimes it affects his work because it takes such a long time to just get started.

open for suggestions!

thanks,
    msfinkin :angel:

3. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Oct 13, 2004

Is he medicated? If yes, it's possible he's over medicated.

If not....I'm not sure what to do about it. Have you talked to his mom? Find out if he's that slow at home too.

Hmm...I'll have to think more about this one. :confused: :)

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2004

I have a child who eats so slow it's ridiculous. His brother was the same way and their mom said they are like that at home. Nothing has ever helped to speed them up. When the rest of the kids are done, he basically will just be starting to eat. He doesn't goof around at the table, he just sits there and looks at his food. Weird.

5. msfinkin

msfinkin Rookie

Oct 13, 2004

grammy,
    sounds just like my guy. No he's not medicated. Mom says he is the same way at home too.
    :confused:

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2004

I have been wondering if they eat in front of t.v. at home and aren't used to sitting down at the table! Another thing I 've thought of is, I wonder if their mom lets them take their good natured time wherever they go or whatever they do and they are just used to not hurrying up! I have no idea.

7. cushla

cushla Guest

Oct 13, 2004

Is he introverted in all aspects? Maybe he has other siblings that "take the stage" therefore he has been forced to take the "backseat" in all aspects that he has grown up with. Another aspect of this thought is that if he reacts "slowly" that is the only way he gets attention at home. Gong with this, maybe praise him for anything that he may do w/ in his designated time period. This way he will learn that POSITIVE reinforcement is possible.
    Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. msfinkin

msfinkin Rookie

Oct 14, 2004

thanks ladies, I'll keep workin on it and letcha know!
    msfinkin:)

9. debbie

debbie Rookie

Oct 14, 2004

Another thought... is this child artistic, highly visual, or possibly continually analyzing everything? These kinds of children are often in their own brain spaces and wonder why when they are trying to focus on something (in their head that they are trying to make sense of) that people are trying to drag them out of it. These are usually highly intelligent children. Maybe this is the case. These children can be frustrating when you need to get from A to B,especially because they are so lost in their own specualations that they do not communicate what is going on. Try asking what they are thinking about and can you help with this idea but right now we have to do __________. I find these kinds of kids often get alot of negative response for being slow and people assuming that not much is going on up their or that they are simply daydreaming. Just a thought

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2004

I had a child who was similiar last year and one of his other teachers suggested that he had something called sensory integration problems.
    Is that possible?

11. debbie

debbie Rookie

Oct 14, 2004

you know honestly, i find all this labelling as of late a bit much. People are people and if you are lost in lala land because youare thinking deeply about something ( what I was talking about)why suddenly are you someone with a deficit disorder? what do you think about this? I personally think it is a bit disturbing and wonder why it is not realized that society is made up of all kinds of people with different affinities and abilities. Isn't that, as teachers, what we are supposed to be supporting!!!

12. debbie

debbie Rookie

Oct 14, 2004

don't get me wrong I realize that some children do have disorders that need dealing with but so many children now are being labelled with this that and the other thing.

13. debbie

debbie Rookie

Oct 14, 2004

this site is amazing. I have not had the ability to speak in this kind of forum since university I am going to town getting all my yayas out!

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2004

I certainly do agree with you about the "labeling" issues. "Thoreau" put it quite plainly and I hang this on my wall at home..."If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drumer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away."

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 15, 2004

Our schools are obsessed with labelling.

I have always believed that the most important skills are not measurable by any school system means. Music, art, inventing, writing, kindness, respect, honesty, thoughtfulness. . . . .

School systems are desperate for money, I realize this. But I think that measuring the intelligence of a child by a number on a piece of paper, isn't very smart. English and math are important, but they are not everything.

Boiled down, a test is a piece of paper. And no piece of paper can ever begin to be as important as the child whose name is on that paper.

Let us try to remember that cultures are not remembered for their test scores and state standings. Cultures are remembered for their arts, and for how they treated their neighbors.

16. cmbogner

cmbogner Rookie

Oct 15, 2004

Msfinkin-have you tried perhaps making a game of it by timing him? Choose a task and time him...see if he can beat his previous time...if you chart it(make sure the numbers are descending)...he'll really enjoy seeing his progress improve. I agree with the "labels" bit...heard a bit of news recently that the "new wave" of special ed. is to do away with labeling...to just identify the disability without labeling...courts are saying that it's causing prejudice in the school systems. Food for thought!

17. msfinkin

msfinkin Rookie

Oct 17, 2004

cmbogner,
    Timing. Thats what i've tried friday and it seemed to work! Wooohoo!
    Just to remark on previos replies, iInever wanted to label this child, I was just asking for suggestions to help this one speed up a little. thanks for all of the support ladies!
    msfinkin:)

18. nelsam

nelsam Rookie

Oct 20, 2004

Sensory Integration and Labeling

I have found that sensory integration issues are valid in understanding where kids are coming from, rather than as a label. I do think that many kids are overwhelmed by there surroundings and respond by either appearing spacy, or falling all over the place. Just like a child struggling with sharing or learning to count, some children struggle with learning to filter through the sights and sounds of everyday life. If you contact your town's Early Intervention OT, she can offer some suggestions for the classroom. While I agree that labeling in these early years is often detrimental, having a name for such problems makes it easier to find ways to help.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2004

Thank you for your direct answer. It is nice to get positive feedback. I hope you noticed that I didn't think of it as a labeling a child, but considered it as you do, identifying the needs of the child.

20. msfinkin

msfinkin Rookie

Oct 23, 2004

thanks grammy!

21. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Oct 23, 2004

I agree with cmbogner about timing him. Also, maybe buy him a dollar store watch or something where you can let him time himself from start to finish.

Is it just during transition times that he seems to be so slow?

22. teachestinytots

teachestinytots Rookie

Nov 8, 2004

Just a thought, I realize that everyone has discussed this every way but Sunday, but my own child has these difficulties. He is very visually and kinestically simulated, thus takes in a lot of information to integrate. I believe that his methodical movements are his way of timing out the information that is boombarding him. And as an aside - Is our schedules in our rooms conforming to the needs of the child or the needs of the teacher? HUM?

23. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Nov 8, 2004

that is a beauitful thought . i read so much " Why cant i get these kids to listen to me "
    "they are not doing as I say."
    everyone has an agenda and even small children.
    i think one way of teaching all 24 can not give each indiviual good results.
    some need more help.

24. msfinkin

msfinkin Rookie

Nov 8, 2004

just an update, the child that i spoke of is doing alot better on time, she still has her moments but i was should in many ways that she is truly ALWAYS thinking! she is an extremely bright child who has so much goin on in her head. she is very analytical and i am lucky to have her in class!
    fyi english is her second language!

25. msfinkin

msfinkin Rookie

Nov 8, 2004

oops i mean showed! hehehe, and i'm a teacher!