Any suggestions....?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by newtothis2006, Jul 29, 2006.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

I am new to the teaching profession...well I am not a teacher yet but would like to be. I have been reading these posts and did not realize that there is so much competition for teaching positions and the difficulty and time it takes to find a job. I was under the impression that teachers are needed so badly and that as long as you have a degree and a teaching certificate, then your hired. Well, now that I know it's not that easy....maybe you guys can offer me some advice. I graduated 3 years ago from college and have been working sales in the lending industry. I have no experience or background in education or working with children. Will it prove to be more difficult for me to find a teaching position coming from the professional realm with no direct experience? Does anyone have any ideas of how I can obtain some experience or skills that would make me more marketable? I do have a full time job while I am working on my certification, so subbing is not a possibility. I am willing to volunteer in schools, church and childrens extracurricular activities if it will "beef" up my resume and allow me to be more marketable as a candidate. Any thoughts/ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

3. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Jul 29, 2006

I think that volunteering does help, but subbing is the best way to get your foot in the door. The principals get to know you and they see how you interact with the children as teacher would. I worked at a daycare for four years and when I got my job they were not interested in that but my subbing experience. They also take into account what grade(s) you student taught in. I know that you work, but perhaps you can sub one day a week.

4. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 29, 2006

I agree - subbing is a great way to get noticed in a school district! Don't limit yourself to being on the sub list just for your own town because it's convenient. Put your name on multiple lists so this way you can work in different districts and try them out. You can also while subbing start building on your own lesson plans, seeing what each different school is doing and by talking to different teachers and networking.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2006

A background in sales might make you better prepared than most for the tight job market. You could probably sail through an interview, comfortable with emphasizing your best characteristics.

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 30, 2006

You know in Texas it isn't quite as difficult. Also, there is alternative certification program which if you have a Bachelors degree you can enter and it is an intense one year program where you work on your certification and teach and there are people there helping and watching you. I've known quite a few people who have done this. Depending on where you are go to your Regional Education Center, I know the Waco Area is Region 12? Check it out and it is the best way to get your foot in the door. But with that said, depending on where you are it could be difficult. I've working in BFE Texas and got a job in Houston without accepting. I've never had trouble. But the College Station area was really hard.

Good luck.

7. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

Thanks guys for the advice. I think that mrsammieb you may be right; that location does matter. My districts say they will consider an applicant that has been accepted in an ACP. I'm located in the North Dallas area. I've also submitted my application to an ACP called iteachtexas. I'm still waiting for acceptance...and I have thought about going ahead and applying with school districts but with no experience I really am unsure. (if it's a waste of time or if I should volunteer teach first) It would help to know what others experience has been in the North Dallas area??

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 30, 2006

Apply NOW. Districts are desperate if they have a teacher not fill the position that they thought was filled.

9. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 30, 2006

Myself and two others in my immediate family all enrolled in ACP programs and had jobs within weeks (less than a week for two of us). You have a good chance as long as you are enthusastic and willing to learn the things you don't know. Also be sure you emphasise you know your content you are interested in teaching, this helps too. Good Luck.

10. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 30, 2006

I worked for a year as a teacher's assistant. The pay wasn't great but it got me a teaching job over several hundred applicants who had applied this year.