Any suggestions to improve gritty blackboard paint?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kabd54, Aug 15, 2007.

1. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

I thought it would be a wonderful idea to paint my blackboards in my classroom (which were looking very much worse for wear). Well, they look great... but, I can't write on them, because they don't erase. All I get is a big smudge. Even washing the board doesn't remove it - the chalk, I mean. :mad:

So, now my question is whether someone else has had the same type of problem, and what you did to remedy the situation? I thought of varathane, lanolin, wax - anything to make the boards more slippery and erasable but still chalk friendly. Any suggestions????? :dunno:

3. redman98

redman98 New Member

Aug 16, 2007

I've heard of a chalkboard spray that refinishes chalkboards. I'm not sure if it will work for you, but do you have a teaching supply store near you?

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2007

I would take it back to the store. Go and find out exactly what you were supposed to do. That doesn't seem right. Get a refund if nothing else.

5. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

Thanks for your responses. I will look into that spray - maybe it's what I need. I already took the paint back to the paint store and they suggested that maybe the board needed at least 2-3 coats. It still isn't working! I think that maybe I'll contact the company and see what they say. :)