Any suggestions on procedures for passing back work?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by LAAMSteacher, Feb 24, 2009.

1. LAAMSteacher

LAAMSteacher New Member

Feb 24, 2009

Hey guys!

I am a first year teacher. I teach 7th grade math. I am having trouble with putting together a good procedure for passing back student work.

Currently, I collect work, correct it over night and write feedback on it and try to pass it back the next day. Things usually get pretty busy and there are times when I dont get work passed back for a week or two or more which is horrible!!!

Part of the problem is that our school has us keep students work in folder until it is time to put together a portfolio. So what I usually do is once in a while have students grab there folder, pass back all work and then have them fie it in their folder. Later on down the line they look back and pick out the work they are most proud of to go in their portfolio. the rest of the work stays in the folder.

This is very time consuming! I would like to get all work back to my students the next day so they have instant feedback but I am not sure how to. My students do sit in groups of 4 so I was thinking of having group folders. but I am not sure. any ideas, comments or suggestions?

thanks!

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Feb 24, 2009

Delegate this job to a student. Every week, change the student. Have all papers to be passed back in one folder; student in charge does this automatically right when they walk into the room.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2009

Can you assign a student in each class to be in charge of passing back papers?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2009

:lol:

Looks like TxSandMom and I had the same idea.

6. azure

azure Companion

Mar 1, 2009

You have to be careful about students passing back work if your district is fussy about privacy issues.

If you collect them by groups or rows, just keep them in that same order when you grade them. Then you can quickly pass back by just stopping at each group or row because they'll still be in that order.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 1, 2009

One thing I have seen is to fold the papers in half and have students right their name on the back. That way students can pass back papers without knowing the student's grade.

8. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 11, 2009

When I was in high school (many, many years ago lol:) all of our teachers made us put our names, subject, class number, and date on the outside of our folded papers. Our papers were folded in half vertically, that way no one saw our grades and it was easier for her to wrap a rubber band around each class to take home to grade.

9. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

we use mail boxes - but if you have alot of kids thats a pain.