Any suggestions on boys?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MuckeyBusiness, Sep 18, 2010.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Sep 18, 2010

I have a classroom of young 4's and 6 out of 9 of my kids are boys. They're very all over and crazy and academically not where they should be. It's hard for them to sit down and do anything really. They're always pushing and tatteling and what not. Any suggestions on things I can do to make me not want to quit my job? Friday I decided to put 4 centers out and only have 2 kids at a center and that seemed to help for that day so i'm going to continue to try that this week. Please help me! I don't want to dislike my class!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

Muckey,

The key to boys is simply to love them and to accept they are different that girls. I highly recommend a book called Gender Matters which talks about the real, physical differences between boys and girls, their brains, etc. including good tips.

In 15 years of preschool I have NEVER had more girls than boys - my first year was 18 to 2, last year was 20 to 4 boys to girls. Do lots and lots and lots of active learning, manipulatives, science experiments, building blocks, etc. Don't make them sit too long. They seem to like non-fiction more than girls. Most don't like little, finicky crafts. They like big anything. Accept they will always be into weapons and super heroes no matter what you do (there is a gene we haven't discovered yet - I swear!). They like music and movement if it isn't really "dancing" - pretending to be animals, exercising songs, etc. work better. They love to be helpful so giving them jobs works well.

Get dirty with them, be silly with them, enjoy them. Boys can be wonderful and really love their teachers and there is so much less drama and talking! They don't hold grudges, don't form cliques - I LOVE boys - but you do have to be creative and patient about the activity and noise level. I think there is another, as yet undiscovered, gene that allows boys to make all those sound effects.

4. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Sep 19, 2010

Why not incorporate more physical learning in the class (such as when you have a circle time where you might focus on the numbers 1-20, you may divide up a clear plastic shower curtain and have them hop through the numbers one at a time during addition, subtraction, just learning them etc. When they get too wild, have everyone stand up, then sit down, then stand up, then sit down, then hop/jump/ then sit down again...my kids love this and it helps them come back to focus).

If you have two in the classroom, you can always send the boys that are most active outside and have them have a run outside around the school a few times with your assistant. We do this and it also helps.

If they are sitting down at tables, you can always attach bungie cord to the table legs and have them bounce it with their feet while they read/write/etc. Some kids are just physical learners and learn through their bodies regardless if they are boys or girls. Hold extra focus on the instigators though and plan around them.

5. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

I find boys love art that moves or pours. Driving toy firetrucks through red and yellow "fire" paint, bungee painting, roller painting on big paper on the wall, using glue bottles, real clay, that sort of thing. Hope some of these ideas help you.

6. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Sep 19, 2010

I would start your day doing things to help them get their energy out. You could have them do exercises as part of circle time, or start the morning with music and dancing. I knew a teacher who would take her class outside every morning and have them do laps. It will probably help calm them down, and make them a little easier to manage.

7. whatup212

whatup212 Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

Awww! I have such a soft spot for rowdy little boys! Misbehavior is much more likely to be out in the open and less sneaky than girls, generally speaking of course. I would also say lots of large motor activity, running, dancing, skipping--etc. On bad weather days, we do bikes or scooters in the hallway. It takes a lot of directing to keep kids from crashing into each other, but it's a great way to burn some energy!

Good luck!

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 20, 2010

I too love boys.......and all but one of my preschool mixed age sets have been "all boys" with one or two girls.

I agree that, in short, you will just have to adapt. But once that is done......it is heaven. I feel like I am really teaching when I get the boys to work. Once I told a new teacher, "anyone can get the girls to work.....but to get a boy to arrive 'ready at Kinder' that is the mark of a great teacher." I really do believe it.

Look at your day, as everyone is telling you and make sure that ALL the learning styles are being represented. Introvert, Extrovert, Active, Passive and so on. These learning styles have many different names but I believe......Gardner is the origionator of the idea. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, I am sure.

Then when you have all the styles represented....see where you group clusters. Go with what that tells you. You will not stop teaching, you will just do it differently. Many times my boys really like the "project approach"-very active learning but all hooked together....but yours may end up somewhere else.

Go with it......you will never build so tall, roar so loud or get so messy as you will with a pack of boys!

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 20, 2010

Oh I meant to say, one more thing. After you get the way to teach going ok, the next focus is TRANSITIONS!

Know that just in getting to the carpet from playing there are so many transitions that they must get through. Many times grown up think it is one big transition time, "clean up and get to the carpet" but it is more like

hear the teacher over the play
    find the end of the story
    decide who the victor was and if there was a victor in the story
    decide to put the toys away
    find the bin
    remember to put the toys away nicely, not throwing
    oh, sorry, I was still throwing
    Could I get my friend to just clean up for me?
    back to cleaning up
    still throwing
    putting away nicely
    whew....all done....now where does this box go?
    who is the strongest and will put it away
    what does that mean about the rest of us
    could we use teamwork?
    now we are all strong!
    where did teacher say to go next?

OH! There they all are.....on the CARPET! How did they get there?

10. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Sep 21, 2010

WaProvider -I LOVE that. I needed to have all that spelled out for me too!

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 21, 2010

Ha! Your welcome Miller! And really, my class is so young and so new that it really is that epic----for each and every step of a transition! They will get better.....right?

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 22, 2010

Wa, that is the BEST explanation of a preschool transition I've ever heard :)

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 24, 2010

:rofl:

It only took me 5 years or so to learn it! It isn't that my kids don't transition, or that they don't clean up.....they do and REALLY well. But when I get "that kid" I just try to remember what it really takes to clean up something that you were actually working with friends on (not just teasing your friends over, or playing by yourself) so that I can give enough time.

That said, I am also of the camp that there is little point in free play if it isn't going to be for LONG stretches. So in the beginning of my time, when I was in a shorter day, I had a lot of trouble getting those two sides of myself to agree.

Now we are all day, long stretches to investigate....long stretches to play and run........almost NO BEHAVIOR problems (and remember we are mixed ages 2-5y and we have many food allergies and IEP issues). It was magic when I turned MY thinking around. Blue is probably laughing at me somewhere right now!! Or Mr Grinch!

14. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 24, 2010

I have many boys in my classroom and at first it was overwhelming. I agree with what everyone is saying, you have to realize that girls are just different than boys in learning. I finally got mine to listen by trying to get them interested in things we are talking about and calling on them at circle time and enticing them with rewards. Once they knew I wasnt a push over, they decided to listen. I had a boy throw a fit for a hour and a half a few weeks ago. Once he realized I wasnt gunna give in to his crap, he hasnt done it since. Do alot of physical activites and have a wide variety of toys in your classroom. I made my students change centers every 15 minutes which makes them play somewhere else then blocks. They really get out of their comfort zone here and experience other things to play with. One of my boys has discovered he loves playing with the baby dolls.

15. PlumCrazy

PlumCrazy Rookie

Sep 29, 2010

My co-teacher and I teach 4 year-olds 5 days a week. Our class is held from 9:15 to 12:15. God bless the rest of you ladies who do this all day. We have 8 boys in our class. We have 6 centers and only allow 3 kids in each center at a time. We have a couple of boys who get "wild" when they are together and a couple of loud ones as well. We do our best to separate them if necessary.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2010

Boys need to behave in the classroom. They do not need any special treatment. What they need is a firm teacher who will teach them how to conduct themselves in class. Every time they get out of line, (running, hitting, pushing, etc,) direct them to the table (or place of your choice,) and YOU decide what they can do in that spot (puzzle, color, read.) Their GENDER doesn't matter when it comes to learning self control and manners. Come down hard on them and they will catch on that YOU are in charge until they learn to act civilized.

17. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 30, 2010

Please don't misunderstand the posts, at least not mine. I am not adovacting letting the boys run loose. Nor do I condone hitting or spitting or running in the classroom. However, many of the things that help boys are things that make any classroom run smoothly and are recognized by authorities (like NAEYC) as best quality. For instance, boys need space bubbles for the larger play that they enjoy like blocks and cars and stuff. This means you need to have small ratios.....there are best practice guides to small ratios.

The classroom I have found runs more smoothly if there are both sit and listen and large motor activites inspersed in the circle time....I won't get into the discussion of the merits of circle time with this age and those that don't enjoy it....but the two sides of the coin seem to agree that if you are going to have circle time large and small motor activities are wise.

My point was that I had to be the best teacher I could be.....or they would find the chink in the armor and go for it. Does that mean I am perfect, by no means. I am still learning, and who do I look toward to see where I have issues.....the boys.

Our classroom is very civilized, we learn a ton each day.....but we do it perhaps differently than some. We are VERY project based meaning that when the children are interested in something we follow that thread and tie the learning objectives to it..all objectives are met.

18. yenny

yenny Rookie

Oct 10, 2010

WaProvider, that is exactly what it is like in my class at the moment! We have 2 out of 5 days with no girls at all, and the other days there will be 1-3 girls. So a room of 16 boys can be slightly chaotic! Having said that i love their boundless energy and enthusiasm, just means you have to think of ways to adapt activities to gain attention and interest.

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to convey. I hope the OP found the answer that they needed here?