Any suggestions for math activities?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tgtbtj, Aug 10, 2011.

1. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Aug 10, 2011

Hi all,I am teaching pre-k 3 at my school for first time and I am just wondering if anyone knows of a good book that I can use with my class that would have ideas for math activities that I can do with my class? I wanna do as many hands on things as I can with them to make it fun and interactive. Any suggestions on activities I can do with them for math would be great also. Last year when I taught pre-k 4 we used a really awesome book that had an activity to do everyday that used hands on approach and it worked really well with them. Just wondering if you guys happen to know about anything like that that I could use?

3. macteach

macteach Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

Math Book

Math Work Stations by Debbie Diller has quite a few activities.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 10, 2011

I don't have a book, here are some things that i do quite often, changing out the manipulative etc. based on the theme...

sorting- erasers, pasta, beads, anything. Can even sort kids... boys vs girls, hair/eye color, kind of shoes,etc.

counting - same as above. My kids typically love to make counting books, so we make them with stickers or things they can glue on.

Graphing- many things we'll sort and then graph- 2 skills in one :)

Measuring- I need to do more of this this year. Use items to measure with, like unifix cubes. Measure out the actual size of animals and see how many kids it takes to measure the height (great for huge things like dinosaurs)

I do lots of cooking activities that involve math-measuring, counting, etc. They love to cook.

does that give you a start? :)

5. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Aug 10, 2011

THanks for all the ideas, I will definitely keep these suggestions in mind. Sometimes I find that I almost have a block when it comes to being creative. I know some people that can look at a tin can and come up with 50 math activities they can do with just that one object! I wish I had that mind!

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 10, 2011

Once you learn the "concept" behind the math stations....the tin can becomes a costume. So the "concepts" for most preschool rooms would be (help me teachers....I am sleepy I will miss some)

sorting
    graphing
    counting
    one to one correspondace
    matching an item to a spot on card
    matching the numeral to the card with dots and matches
    rolling die counting spots and moving that number of items (about 3 or 4 skills....not for beginners ;) )
    board games (math meets social skills)
    seriation----largest to smallest
    more and less

ok....after you have those skills working for you when you are presented with a container with many sections.....you think sorting.

tweezers....sorting

cool tweezers....cool sorting

tin can? well I am in a robot little unit right now....that can would be a great thing in my sensory table. It could catch the items they are finding. It could also be in art, or blocks for robot contruction. It could be in science for magnets. If it was for math it could hold the things the kids roll die and count or it could have a numeral on it and they have to put that many items in it.

7. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Aug 11, 2011

Wow see what i mean!! I think with more experience I will be able to come up with equally cool ideas. It's like I know what they are expected to learn and what they need to learn by the end of the year, it's just coming up with new and fun ways to do this. Thank you so much for your suggestions!

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 11, 2011

It will come....don't worry. Do you have state standards? Or school goals or something that you can lean on while you lean while you are getting acclimated?

Thanks for the compliment.....you will be able to do it someday too. Just learn to see the skill rather than the costume.

9. Nejira

Nejira New Member

Aug 14, 2011

More Than Counting(Standards Ed.) by Sally Moomaw. She also has two other titles More than counting, and much more than counting. She has great ideas, most with pictures, and how to implement. I absolutely love her books. They have been some of the most helpful books. Her other books, More Than letters and More than Painting are also great.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 14, 2011

I will come with experience. Sometimes you have to think fast to save the day--so you can do it. Good luck.

11. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 15, 2011

"Roll and count" is a constant game on our shelves....it has many, many costumes in our program.