Any Suggestions about Library Time???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sundrop, Sep 12, 2009.

1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Sep 12, 2009

I am wondering if any of you wise men and women out there have suggestions for me. Here is the problem: When the students come to Library (which I am in charge of), the teachers do not stay to help. I am ok with that, but I am finding it difficult to try and check out the students' books and maintain some sense of order in the Library. I'm specifically talking about PreK, Kindy, and sometimes first grade. I have the students check out their books first and then line them up by the door. After that they are to sit quietly on the carpet area where I read stories after I have checked all of the students' books out. (This is where they get loud and out of control) I do check out first because I wasn't sure how much time to give them to find books. If I check out at the end I may either run out of time or have extra time on my hands. Any ideas how I could change this or make it better?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2009

Teachers probably don't stay for library because it is a prep period for them-

First you need to clearly explain the rules and expectations for the library. I'm not quite sure why you are lining up kids after they check out their books. Couldn't they just take the books that they have checked out to the carpet to read while they are waiting for you? My librarian also has word searches and book themed coloring pages each week for the kids to stay busy with while they are waiting for her to finish checking out the class' books.
    I think maybe reading a book first or giving a lesson is best- that way you have their attention, can remind the kids of your expectations and then send them off to search for books. Give them time warnings during the book selection time- As a teacher, I don't mind if one or two kids stay in the library for a few extra minutes to check out a book- by the time I get my class back to the room and settled the 'late checkers' usually show up.
    Bottom line, behavior management is the hardest thing for new teachers to nail down- get those rules and expectations hammered out, have consequences for not following the rules and keep the kids busy (minimize standing in line and wait time)

4. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

what if for Prek-K you have books that are at their level pulled and they can choose a book from a basket. then they have less selections to go through and it might reduce the time it takes to check out books.

I agree with Czaza - have something for them to do while you are checking books out and make sure you have expectations for their behavior while in the library.

5. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 12, 2009

In our school for PreK and K they had books set out for them to choose. After they checked out the book they could sit on a carpet square to look at the book. Sometimes they could sit at a table (4-5 kids at a table). Little kids have a really hard time standing in line with nothing to do.

I think we always did story first, then chose a book before going back to class.

Library time is my prep so I usually only stay long enough to help get the kids settled.