Any subs in California?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by brookerjean, Feb 1, 2007.

1. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Feb 1, 2007

Did it really take 3 months for you to receive your substituting permit from the CCTC after you applied? I'm just feeling a bit frustrated that I'd have to wait that long (according the the processing times on their website).

:thanks:

3. appl4tchr

appl4tchr Rookie

Feb 1, 2007

I'm a sub in California. I sub w/ a multiple subject credential. I did have my 30 day permit when I was a student teacher and I believe it takes 3 months to get your actual 30 day permit but I'm pretty sure they give you a letter or copy saying you are eligible to sub when you turn everything in. So you don't have to wait 3 months!

4. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Feb 1, 2007

Thanks for the reply. I'm not enrolled in my multiple subject credentialing program yet (will hopefully start those classes this March). If I apply for a substitute permit, I think I have to do it by mail...so I don't know how I'd receive some type of eligibility receipt.
    :confused:

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Feb 1, 2007

Call your county office of education and see if they have any sub enrollment program. When I first subbed, I went to my county office. They did my fingerprinting, helped me fill out the application, and mailed it to the CCTC for me. I got a letter of eligibility that I could use in the local districts. Your county may have a similar service for subs.

6. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Feb 2, 2007

You know you can view your credential online? www.ctc.ca.gov. Mine took a few months. I started subing within a month or two. Check in with the county office.

John

7. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Feb 2, 2007

Just like Erin Elizabeth said, you can do your fingerprinting at the county office (I did mine in Orange County) and your receipt is your temporary sub permit. Districts accepted this form until the sub permit came in. Come to think of it, I never even gave them my copy when I finally received it (unless they got a copy directly from OCDE)?

8. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Feb 2, 2007

I already have my Certificate of Clearance, so the fingerprinting should be taken care of. I'm in Los Angeles county. Perhaps I'll try calling the county office tomorrow.

9. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Speaking of subbing.

I'm looking to add on my Multiple Subject. I just have one more set of exams to take and then I can appl. I have a Single. Is it possible to be called in to sub elementary positions even with a Single Subject? Does anyone know. I prefer to sub than do a para as its just better experience...

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

That generally depends on the district, usfmeghi. District Web sites should indicate somewhere what the rules are for substitutes, or you might be able to find out through the county office of education or through the nearest school of education. Most districts these days are happy with a credential of any kind; some will settle for a bachelor's degree and CBEST, though that's getting rarer.

11. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 2, 2007

All of my paper work was completed in October or November for a sub. credential. My certificate is still pending. I'll start a mult. subj. credentials program in the fall.

12. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Feb 14, 2007

You can "short-term" (30 days or less) Sub in CA at any level with a B.A., a DOJ clearance, and having passed the CBEST. Over 30 days you have to have a valid credential. I started subbing in my district as soon as I had turned in all the necessary paperwork for my Sub credential. You have to become acquainted with the "credential person" with the district you want to work in and they will get you set up.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

It's certainly legal to sub short term in California with the bachelor's, the clearance, and the CBEST, though some districts do make rather an issue of requiring more.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

Is it possible to get a long term subbing job while in the process of a credential...? I know of all the 30-day permit stuff, but are there exceptions to this?

15. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Feb 16, 2007

Yes, as long as you have passed the CBEST, CSET

16. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

In the district I sub in, you have to have a Multiple Subject Preliminary, Clear Credential or Career Sub Permit to sub long-term. To be honest, I'm still not sure what the difference is between these credential yet. Still learning the lingo.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2007

The take-home lesson, MissWull, is that you need to go find out what the district of your dreams is willing to hire. Let me rephrase that: you need to go find out, preferably with résumé etc. in hand.

18. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

i'm in the exact same situation as you! i feel like i'm more for elementary school than the older kids. i'm hoping that i will be able to sub in elementary schools.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2007

It'll depend on the district, modgirl, so go ask.

20. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Feb 17, 2007

Well, it worked out actually. One district I interviewd for even encoraged me to apply as a full time teacher as soon as everything is sent off to the Comission. (I just have to past Subtest I, An d II and finish this methods class that I am taking now)

I;m with two districts and will probaly add on a third. There are alot of little districts around. Had my first sub job in K-PM today. Loved it. Would have been better if there swere LESSON PLANS! I got called at the last minute. They onlyt put me on the elementary list as requestewd, so I think you should be ok..Just check with the district

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 18, 2007

But even if I'm a sub in my "dream district" ;) and they already have all my info...I would still need to go in and give someone my resume? Because I'm technically already hired into the district, just under a different position (subbing). I was thinking of asking the sub callers how that works, because they're the ones who call the subs to work for teachers...so they do the long term subs too...I understand they don't hire...but ya, maybe that might work...hmmm.

22. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Feb 18, 2007

Probably depends on the district. One of the districts encouraged me to apply for a full time position once my Multiple Subjecdt requirements are done. (My class will be done second wek of March, taking the last two CSETS)

But at least in my district, anytime you apply for a new position, you would need to put in an appkication, updated, resume etc.

Well, if I am understanding your question correctly.