any sub calls yet?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by katerina03, Sep 1, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 1, 2005

Hello everyone. The district I sub at just started school on Wednesday and I got a call to sub tomorrrow. Has anyone else subbed this year yet? How'd it go?

3. mbboss

mbboss Rookie

Sep 1, 2005

Wow that sure was fast for a sub call. I can't imagine having a sub in the first week of school. Good luck.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 1, 2005

We are in week two and subs are all over. One teacher's wife got very ill the second day. One teacher was in a bad car wreck. One teacher's baby is due any day. All three are long term. And we have had minor things, with subs in for a day. Seems unreal.

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 1, 2005

When I was subbing a few years ago, the principal for one of the Catholic schools in the area called me to sub on their first day of school. I think that the teacher's child was ill. I passed on that sub job - the first day of school would be too hectic/confusing for me!

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 1, 2005

No call here yet, school started Monday.

7. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 1, 2005

English schools start on Tues (day after labour day) and I'm praying that the calls start coming that quickly for me. It looks like that's how I will begin since I haven't had any job interviews/offers yet. :( I need the income to start flowing badly!

8. Dannie138

Dannie138 Rookie

Sep 1, 2005

I got called!

I got called for tomorrow, third day of school....but I am going to be at my other job, so I can't do it!

9. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 1, 2005

That's what I'm doing right now. I started out the year for a teacher who had her baby at the end of July. I have 2 more weeks to go.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2005

Today was my first day to sub this year although I know of a teacher who needed a sub on the 5th day of school, I just couldnt be there that day. I got 6 more days out of being there today, but they are between now and December. I sub in two districts so we will see how things go tomorrow when i sub at the second district. Maybe I will get even more days from this other school. Still holding out for a full time position and I see that coming with all the kids from Louisiana coming to Texas.

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 1, 2005

My county uses Aesop - online sub finder. I have seen a few sub jobs posted, but they are for later this month.

12. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Sep 1, 2005

School Doesn't start in the HRSB until September 7th. I hope I start getting calls soon after that.

GlendaLL, I don't know how I would deal with a call for the first day of school. That would make me responsible for setting up the class rules, etc, wouldn't it?

I've already had my part-time/summer job schedule changed so that I only work Saturdays as of the first day of school. I had to turn down too many jobs at the end of last year because I was already scheduled to work, and I won't let that happen this year.

13. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 2, 2005

I got a call last Thursday night and went in the day after, which was the 26th - the first full day of school for that one district.

14. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 2, 2005

Today was my first day subbing this school year and I swore last year I would NEVER go back into the high school again. But over the summer I felt like I gave up to qucikly on them so I ended up in the HS today. It was a very rewarding day. The high school is desperate for subs so I'm sure I will get calls often, but hopefully I will be in the middle and elementary schools more though.

15. CareBear

CareBear Rookie

Sep 2, 2005

Schools here started last Thursday. On the first day of school one school called and scheduled 3 dates throughout the year. On the second day another school called and scheduled 3 dates for this month. I was excited. Yesterday was my first subbing day. It was only suppose to be for a couple hours for 4th grade, but the principal called in the morning and changed it to all day in the art room. The day went great. I love being in the schools. I know that is were I belong, and I am going to work hard getting experience and make sure I get a job next year! (trying to be positive!) Also yesterday they added another day to sub and asked if I would sub today. Sorry if I sound like I am bragging, but I am so excited to be working and being in classrooms. Best of luck to all the substitutes and have a good year! :D

16. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 3, 2005

Of course you are not bragging. Feeling like you are doing a great job is teh rewarding part of teaching. It's what motivates us to do better! I am like you, I love being in the schools too. I couldn't wait to get back.

17. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2005

Friday was the second day I subbed, but my first day in a new district. I was only suppose to do 1/2 day but the teacher called on Thursday and changed it because she was sicker than she thought. I couldn't sleep on Thursday, I was so excited. I woke up on Friday full of hope and excitement, all day with Kinder. woohoo! My hope and joy turned into feeling like I was in kinder heck! THe teacher left me a schedule but didn't tell me where anything was. Like the morning songs and stuff. She didnt tell me how the kids did lunch count, she didn't tell me about certian kids that have issues. I won't go into that here but lets just say I was in a situation that could have been very tramatizing for both me and the child. I know that there privacy issues but she could have at least said this child had issues and that I really shouldnt touch her. I had kids telling me all day that I wasn't doing things right. I have to confess it's been a LONG time since I have subbed in Kinder. I was totally exhausted by the end of the day. The other thing that really got me was one of the kids in the class, the mom was the next door kinder teacher. WHat got to me was if you looked at this child cross ways he cried. I felt like I was under a microscope all day. She asked me every time we saw each other how her son was doing. I couldn't be honest and say well he is a cry baby. THe funny thing was at recess she was talking about another child who she thought had been at home with his mom too much and acted like a baby. To top it all off when the last bell finally rang I discovered that I had locked my keys in my truck that morning. THank god one of the teachers was related to locksmith. He came in 5 minutes and opened my door. I know that I am going to have bad days as a teacher, I hope I learn to handle them a little different that I did on Friday.

18. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 4, 2005

:) Hello everybody!
    School started on friday august 12 and the following tuesday I got a call and then I subbed five days after that. Friday I subbed after driving back home after hurricane katrina late thursday night! Thank God I start working as a teacher's aid mid-september. Best wishes and blessings to you all this new school year~Chava :angel:

19. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 4, 2005

Wow txmom, you did have a bad day. Days like that are reasons I hate being a sub. You just don't know what your walking into. I am in the high school way more than kindergarten. In fact,I've never subbed kindergarten accept for art class and gym. My favorite grades are 3-7. Subbing, in my opinion is very scary. I heard a person on this forum works at a school where students get suspended if they give subs a gard time. That is what I wish more high schools did, because some of those kids can be very stressful to deal with, though most of them are great.

20. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 4, 2005

At one of the schools I'm going to sub at when I'm done with this maternity leave I'm doing now, the principals told us at a sub meeting we had before school started that any student that gives us ANY bit of trouble will be dealt with by the office, because of the fact that we are subs, that if the student acts out just because we are the sub and not the regular teacher, they want the students to realize we are there to teach them, not baby-sit them.

21. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 4, 2005

That is what ALL schools should do. I mean, it's already enough pressure that we have to find the lessons and books, all those resources, plus learn the procedures,etc., but to have to deal with disruptions is a little much, especially when we only make a fraction of what teachers make. Now I can deal with the elementary students and middle school, but many of these hs students in the district I work in want to seem cool and "gangster like". Even though the school is in a tiny town (actually a village). The area is very poor and has practically nothing to offer students. It's pretty sad. Which is why I keep subbing here.

22. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2005

txmomteacher2, I feel for you!! Just remember that at the beginning of the school year, the students are not used to the routines yet...if you sub in the same class in January, they will be a totally different set of students. Also, I think that all subs have to have one horrible day a year...you just got your out of the way early!! Hopefully things will start going better for you...until there is a severe discipline policy here for "sub abuse", I will stick with the elementary schools :)

23. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

:eek: I think subbing is hard until the students realize that the sub isn't there to babysit them and are in the class because we are there in the teacher's stead. When students come to the understanding that subs care about them and only want whats best for them then the discipline problems tend to occur less frequently! As subs we have the awesome task of being the people who replace the teachers who have the task of shaping the minds of future leaders of America. I must agree that elementary students are the easiest to work with because they are easy to discipline if you start of right in the morning and they like treats. Middle school students only want someone they can talk to about their boyfriend "problems" and they want to please you too! High school students (except for freshmen) are the best as far as being self sufficient, they listen to what you say, do their work, and want to whisper quietly when finished their work. To my fellow subs, I say keep up the great work and when you have a student(s) set on messing up your day, find one student to make the example of, write them up, send them out, and I promise your day will be just fine. :)

24. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 5, 2005

The busiest time for subs is supposed to be March and April.

25. msm123

msm123 Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

The first day of school is tomorrow for me. I became a building sub this year to my surprise the school called me two weeks ago and said come in at 750 on the first day I asked if they knew a teacher that was going to be out already she said no just come in I know we will use you for something. I am kind of nervous since the only subbing I did was at the end of the year, last year. If I am in a class room I hope the teacher lest something. I will be subbing in the middle school.

26. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

msm123, congrats to you because sounds like to me the school is making a spot for you unofficially! thank God of the blessings that He is giving you and enjoy whatever the school has you doing!

27. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 5, 2005

msm123, I'm also hoping to find a position as a building sub this year. I will be so nice for you to be in the same building everyday. At least this way you'll get used to the school's routines which will be great. It's also a wonderful way to get your name out there! Good luck.