Any stepmoms out there?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by GoehringTeaches, Jan 7, 2009.

1. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 7, 2009

I am going to be an official step mom this summer but right now the boys live with their dad and I unmarried. My question is what do your step children call you? As a teacher, what do your step children call you if they go to the same school?

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

My bf's kid calls me by my first name. She is 4. I've been with him almost 2 years. We've talked about marriage...but I think she will always call me by my first name. Which might get confusing if we ever have kids.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2009

I'm not a step mom, but have both. We call them by their first names. Not because we don't respect & love them, but it's one of those that it's what we knew them as before they got married to the "other" parent, you know when they were dating. It's just kinda stuck I guess.

Although one of my step parents has a pretty common name so I'll use Mom or Dad then their name.

If they go to your school... I don't know. I had a cousin in my class & called me Mrs.____. I did fore warn the class & not a big deal.

The other cousins or kids I had babysit for will call me by my first name... the older ones. I guess it's up to you in school if they aren't in school. I know many kids who parents were at the school I taught at & they just called them mom.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 7, 2009

I think calling you by your 1st name outside of school & even at school as long as they're NOT in YOUR class is alright. If they are in your class, then by all means, they should say Mrs. ___.

So, do you have any kids of your own too?

I'm not a stepmom & I hope I never will be, no offense to the stepparents out there! :D

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 7, 2009

I call my husband's stepmother "Smom" as a short, cute nickname. She's one of the dearest ladies out there, to the point that she threw the rehearsal dinner when my actual mother-in-law balked at spending the money on her only son.

7. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 7, 2009

No, I don't have children of my own. So far, I actually haven't had any problems with being a step parent. Everytime people hear that word, they make faces and wish me luck and stuff but really, they are good kids and he is a great dad. They are young enough that they don't give me the "you aren't my mom" routine but old enough to know that I'm not a replacement to their mother.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 7, 2009

Usually, there comes that day in every stepparent's life when the kid says, "You're not my real mom", whether they say it while they're young or at that teenage stage. If yours NEVER says that & they're after becoming adults, it will be wonderfully surprising.

9. glen

glen Companion

Jan 7, 2009

I have a stepmother. My father had the four of us before they were married. We call her by her first name, and always have. To my knowledge, none of us have ever told her 'you're not my mother'. We all have nothing but respect for her- it's a rare woman that would take on four kids, ages 7-16, with lots of 'baggage'. When she and my father did have kids, we never referred to them as half siblings, never were treated diffferently because she is their biological mother and not ours, and never treated the little ones differently. For their sake, we always referred to our step mother as Mommy when talking to them but continued to call her by first name when addressing her directly. My kids call her Grandma, and as far as they are concerned she is no different than a biological grandparent would be.

10. tink30

tink30 Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

My stepdaughter is 6 and calls me by my first name.

I have both a stepmom and stepdad and I use their first names when talking to them.

11. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Jan 7, 2009

I have stepkids that call me by first name. I have a stepdad but I call him "Dad" because my father is deceased and I never really knew him.

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 7, 2009

I called my step mom by her name because she and my father dated for ten years and finally married when I turned 18. Part of that was to prevent custody issues and visitation issues for us kids. It was wierd when he moved into her house because he always lived with my grandma, but it was better then because we weren't generally visiting over night anymore. I didn't call her "step mom" to anyone until just a year or so ago because it was just too complicated to say "dads wife" and sounded really rude. I don't know what my kids will call her. My mom is extremely sensative about the whole issue and freaked out when I allowed her to help with my wedding and she was seated in the front row. I am hoping my kids will have a different name for her, Nana or something.

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

My mom called her stepdad "Dad" b/c she never knew her father. She and her stepdad were very close, and he raised her since she was little.
    My 1/2 brother called my mom his step mom by her 1st name. They were very close. His mother and my mom were friendly and got along too.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 7, 2009

I call my stepdad by his first name when I am talking to him but I refer to him as my stepdad First Name when talking about him. He requested that our kids be taught to call him Papa First Name so they do. :)