Any state with SS teacher shortage?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by obro, May 25, 2007.

1. obro

obro Rookie

May 25, 2007

Hi, I Live in NY and I am completing my masters and will be certified for 2007-8. Its is difficult to find a Social Studies job here in New York and so my wife and I are willing to move pretty much anywhere( its so expensive here anyway). Ive noticed that even growing areas like Las Vegas and North Carolina need teachers but not necessarily SS teachers. Is there any state or area where there is a shortage of Social Studies teachers....or should I begin learning chemistry? Thanks for any help Scott

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 26, 2007

I'm in Southern California and am finding the same thing. In the school district where I am now, even science certification wouldn't help. They are so concerned with math and English scores that some students don't get SS or science. It is different in different districts, though. I am also planning on getting science certification, just so I can have more options. Good luck!

4. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

May 26, 2007

They're testing SS in Texas

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2007

6. artbee

artbee New Member

May 26, 2007

This might help

Scott, if you can take a subject area test ( I don't know how it's done in NY) to get certified in Special Education also, schools always need teachers who teach social studies to students with learning disabilities. In fact, NCLB requires special education teachers in high school to also be certified in the subject they are teaching to special education students. You will greatly increase your hiring potential to add on this certification, and it will help you later if you have to teach a general education class in SS with special education students enrolled through inclusion.
    Good luck!

J

7. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

May 27, 2007

Try Florida... we're low in everything else? ;)

8. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

May 27, 2007

I;m looking for jobs right now too. I live in Michigan and there are no teaching jobs here so I am looking into North Carolina and Virginia. Other states that I know need teachers are Arizona, Neveda, and Florida. Someone told me that in Arizona they are hiring anyone with a four year degree no matter what it is and will give you two years to get a teaching degree. After researching North Carolina I see they have a TON of openings so I am keeping my fingers crossed. From my own experience a friend of mine got hired in NC with a child development degree to teach Pre-K (which you need a teaching a degree in order to teach that, but they are desperate). She has to get some sort of certification, but this is here 2nd year teaching there. Anyway good luck with the search.

9. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

May 27, 2007

New Orleans is in desperate need of teachers.

10. Andibee

Andibee Rookie

May 28, 2007

North Carolina

North Carolina has tons of openings, especially in the larger districts like Charlotte-Mecklenburg, Wake County.
    http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/ is the link for the Department of Public Instruction. It lists all the information you need for teaching in NC.