Any special concerns with twins, siblings, cousins...?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by LucyS, Aug 27, 2007.

1. LucyS

LucyS Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

I ended up with three sets of siblings (two sets of twins and one set step-siblings) and two sets of cousins in my class. It seems like everyone is related to someone else in the class. :eek:

Today was the first day, so it's hard to tell if I'm going to have problems, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them. This is my first year teaching.

It's a bit odd, that's all I can think. I thought they usually separated them.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

I have been there. I had 3 children who were twins last year. This year I have all of the children who have parents who are teachers at our school. Don't know how or why I have them all but it's unnerving. Any who-- the only thing I would say to you is that while we wish they wouldn't do it, parents compare. They will compare how each twin is doing and also what their teachers are doing and how they are doing it. I would just suggest collaboration with the other teachers on your team and it will be just fine!!! :)

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 29, 2007

I have a half-brother and sister who are only a few months apart in age. So far they are just fine together in my class. They were in the same Kinder class last year.

5. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

I have a twin that was in the same room with her sister for kindergarten. It turned out to be a bad situation and they were seperated for first grade. The girls really fed off of eachother. I have heard that for some twins it is better to place them together. I guess it just depends on the kids.

6. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

I have a set of cousins in my class. They're not too bad...they bicker and stuff like brother and sister, but it's nothing huge. Today, though, she cried because he took his fingers and said "this is you and your husband" and made them kiss. That's the worst it's gotten so far, though, so I guess I can't complain. lol

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

For the related kids, and for the kids whose parents work at the school - just treat them as you would any other kid, with respect for them as individuals, don't compare them, and encourage others not to compare but accept them as individual children. I have taught many of the children of people I work with. I just go into it with the understanding that I will be very up front with the parents about everything, and it has worked pretty well. I haven't had any conflicts with the parents I work with.