Any SmartBoard users out there?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Ellensmom, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Mar 22, 2009

I just last week got a Smartboard in my room. Any one have any great sites they use for activities? I know there are tons of sites, but I'd like your thoughts on the most useful ones. Thanks.

3. mustang sally

mustang sally Rookie

Mar 22, 2009

use the gallery icon and go to essentials for educators--bunches of lessons there

4. teksox33

teksox33 Rookie

Mar 22, 2009

Sally's right. Learn to use the board and the gallery first. If you have a new board with Notebook Software 10, they added Lesson Activity Toolkit that some great activities like matching, sorting already created for you. You simply have to put in the data.

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Mar 22, 2009

Go to the smartboard website. They have a ton of lessons and activities up there! It's great. I downloaded a bunch the other night for my new math unit!

6. DotCommand3

DotCommand3 Rookie

Mar 31, 2009

I am hearing a lot about Smart Boards. Does your school have to purchase a multi-user license? Is it up to the individual educator to decide they'd like to use something like that and purchase it for their classroom?
    Do you purchase a Smart Board and then add Notebook software? What do you use a Smart Board for? Is it a technologically-enhanced sort of "replacement" for individual student whiteboards (and graphically-enhanced and thus more eye-catching and interesting for students)?
    I've looked online for explanations to these questions, but I only have MORE questions. I've not been able to locate good demonstrations either.
    Can anyone help?

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 2, 2009

I'm not an ActiveBoard user yet but just found out today that I get to be :) I can't WAIT!!! Brand new school, brand new technology, absolutely awesome. I will be picking your brains for all the things that I need to figure out to utilize it to the greatest capacity.

8. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 3, 2009

No multi-use license is required for purchase. If your school has a SMARTBoard, then all those teachers who use it can download the Notebook software for free. You just need the serial # from the board & register to get your "code" for the free Notebook software.

Since the smartboard is so expensive, I highly doubt any teachers would purchase it on their own even though it is such a great piece of equipment!

The SMARTboard is basically a "giant touch-screen monitor" for your computer. You need an LCD projector which displays the image from your computer onto the SMARTboard. Due to its kinesthetic, visual, & auditory nature the kids LOVE it!! You can access TONS of interactive websites, educational streaming video clips AND don't forget the Notebook software itself which is also great!

This is the actual website: http://smarttech.com/. This link will take you to its "classroom tour" of all its products: http://downloads.smarttech.com/media/flash/classroomtour/index.html
    This is just a short clip of just the smartboard in use: http://downloads.smarttech.com/media/flash/classroomtour/index.html But if you go to youtube & do a search on smartboards you'll find lots of clips to see it in use.

A great site that has tons of tips, tutorials, etc. is: http://smartboards.typepad.com/smartboard/

I've had mine for a little over a year now and LOVE it!!!

9. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

I also use lessons from Promethean planet. I love my SmartBoard and can't imagine not having it!! :)

10. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Apr 11, 2009

We just got a Smartboard in our computer lab. I can't wait to start using it. I'm just worried that I won't be able to access it as often as I'd like. I'm hoping the lab will be open to the teachers more than it has in the past, seeing that we have the technology in there.

11. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

The school I'm starting at is smartboard equipped in each classroom. During my interview they asked if I was familiar with them and I said yes because they had them in a classroom during my student teaching but I only saw it used once and never used it myself. I tried explaining this but am worried that they'll expect me to know everything about it on day 1. Are there any websites that give you instructions for it's use? I plan on playing around with it when I set up my classroom but don't want to "break it" or get the blue screen of death lol.

12. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I've had a SMARTboard for a year. Personally I have a hard time finding useful lessons from the SMARTboard website. They do not necessarily match the standards for my state and they do a poor job of separating the lessons by grade level. I teach 3rd grade and many of the lessons labeled K-3 are really more K. I prefer to make my own. There is one other teacher on my team that got a SMARTboard at the end of last year so this year we'll be able to share lessons.

I love my SMARTboard. The first year you use it you don't have to have elaborate lessons for every subject every day. When I'm short on time I just use it like a whiteboard. I know several people cringe at this as a big waste but honestly you need to start somewhere and build up. You can reuse lessons for reviewing and the next year. I save everything!

13. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Jul 22, 2009

The SMART website itself has some online training clips and would be a good starting place: http://smarttech.com/

AND definently get the SMART Notebook 10 software & drivers downloaded to your computer now so you can start playing with it. http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Support/Downloads/default.htm It's a free 30 day trial and then after that you need to enter the "product key" to get the software permanently. Basically all you need is the serial # off your smartboard . . . or get the "produce key" from anyone at your new school. Once a school owns a smartboard, everyone on the site is able to use the same #. The software can be loaded onto school and home computer(s) that you will be using to make your lessons.

(If you're familiar with powerpoint, then learning how to use the Notebook software will be very easy since they're very similar.)

There is also another website called Teachers Love SMARTboards: http://smartboards.typepad.com/smartboard/ This site has TONS of smartboard tips.

The man who operates the above site also has an online Professional Development website for learning to use the smartboard. http://www.teacheronlinetraining.com/library/ Some things are free & some you must pay, but it's a great resource!

Enjoy your new smartboard! They're amazing tools!

14. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Great! Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to having this new tool. I think initially I still plan on using my whiteboard to post notes and instructions just until I get the hang of the smart board but those sites are going to give me much more confidence going in.

15. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Use your smartboard to post your notes. Then save your smartboard notebook lesson. You can return to your notes anytime, print it out for the students who were absent, refer back to them when someone has a question, etc. It's so easy - just like a whiteboard, only it can be saved!! I love this aspect of the smartboard.

I'm so sad, I moved schools and I don't have a smartboard this year - after 2 years of teaching with a smartboard! I feel like I'm back in prehistoric times!!

16. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Good ideas. It'd also be a good way to be organized for the year so you can look back next year and remember at least some basics of what you did. I have no idea when I'm going to be able to get into the classroom since my contract won't be approved by the board until 8/4 so I'm worried that I won't have time to clean/set-up my room, lesson plan and figure out the smart-board before school starts (I know, 1 step at a time.)

I think the initial joy and shock of finally having my own classroom is starting to wear off and I'm now getting into the stressed/not enough time/what have I gotten myself into period. ;)