Any skin savvy people out there?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

Like I posted a few days ago, I'm trying some Clinque makeup. I'm not impressed with the foundation, but at least I didn't buy it (samples and "free" gift). I bought some anti-aging serum stuff.

I have bad skin that breaks out easily. I mean, I don't have constant pimple break outs, but I have blackheads and large pores. The anti-aging stuff isn't breaking me out per se, but it's settling into my already enlarged pores and blackheads and making them worse. Basically pretty much every moisturizer and serum stuff does that, so it's like I'm trying to fight the acne tendencies of my skin and trying to prevent some wrinkles.

The closest town that has knowledgeable skin care people is a couple of hours away...in a mall...a place I hate. I might be forced to do that, IDK. That kind of sucks because if it breaks me out or I decide I don't like it, it's kind of impossible to return it unless I want to drive there again.

Anyway, anybody in the same boat? What do you use?

Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

What do you use as a cleanser?

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Detoxifying Pore Scrub twice a day.
    I've been using Maybelline 24 Hour Superstay foundation and Revlon Photo Finish powder.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

If you're having problems with that stuff, you might want to dial it back to a milder cleanser and moisturizer. I recommend plain old Noxema or Cetaphil as a cleanser. For a moisturizer, I recommend Aveeno or Oil of Olay.

I don't have the greatest skin. I don't get zits often, but I have a strange combination of dry and oily skin. I find that the fancier products tend to aggravate my skin a lot more than those old standbys. I also find that moisturizer is key. I use it every single day, and it helps prevent a lot of blemishes and general yuckiness. My skin is always smoother when I stick to a good moisturizing routine.

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

What kind of Oil of Olay moisturizer do you use?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

I pretty much only use Aveeno. My mom uses the original Oil of Olay, though. I've tried it, and it's fine. I just like the SPF in my Aveeno. I've tried the Oil of Olay with SPF, but I find it to be too greasy.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

Thanks for the info. :)

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2013

Mary Kay's Timewise oily skin set might work for you. I have the same problems. My skin is super oily, prone to blackheads and breakouts, pores that you can store stuff in, and at 42, I need some wrinkle help. Yes, I do sell MK but only because I love the skin care stuff and didn't want to pay retail! Get some samples before you buy.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 25, 2013

I know I always recommend Lush, but they really are good, and if there's not one near you they have an informative website and very helpful customer service.

11. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 25, 2013

I have been using aveeno for years and also love it, also because it has SPF has Caesar mentioned. I then use physicians formal for my powder. I used to use Clinique but found it make my skin worse.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

I have been using mineral foundation for 7 years and I love it. Once I tried it, I never looked back and said no to ALL cream based foundations. It doesn't have to be the brand name they always advertize (I forget the name) although I started with that. I've been using the one from L'Oreal, a jar of about $8 lasts many months. It's light, very natural looking (you look like you have no make up on) works great even if you're sweating from exercising or heat. I think it also stops break outs, or at least reduces them .IT did that for my daughter (age 15). And it covers any skin discolorations.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

You might also want to try apple cider vinegar as toner. Dip a cotton ball in it, wipe off your face (after you removed all make up). It's great for many reasons, and I noticed that it really evened out my skin tone. And it's natural!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 25, 2013

I have very sensitive (acne-prone, but not too much anymore) & very oily skin. I've seen dermatologists at a very young age (first time, like 12) & have used a ton of products in my day (Proactiv too). Here's my skin & makeup regime that have seemed to work that I've been using for at least several years now. You'll see that some things can be bought at the drugstore & some I prefer the high-end at the dept store.

face cleanser - Clean & Clear deep action cream cleanser in the teal & purple tube

If I want a little exfoliation at times - St. Ives Naturally Clear apricot scrub blemish & blackhead control

skin mattifier - you put on clean skin right before makeup to help it not get so shiny as fast. I learned the "cheap man's" method - Milk of Magnesia (original kind in blue bottle) - spread on face, let dry a bit & apply makeup. You can try those expensive mattifiers if you don't mind spending more money

liquid foundation - used Estee Lauder Double Matte for yrs, but had to mix 2 colors until new shades finally came out where I didn't have to: http://www.esteelauder.com/product/...ns/Double-Matte/Oil-Control-Makeup/index.tmpl

OR

http://www.esteelauder.com/product/...s/Double-Wear/Stay-in-Place-Makeup/index.tmpl

Makeup Forever has a nice foundation: http://www.sephora.com/mat-velvet-matifying-foundation-P177117?skuId=988634

I now like Kat Von D Lock-It Tatto foundation. It's much fuller coverage than any other foundation I've seen, long-lasting, non-transfer, oil-free, matte finish, & fragrance free, which are all the elements I want! Don't let the name of it scare you, it's not that heavy-duty to me. It's just a very nice full coverage. Sephora sells it:

http://www.sephora.com/lock-it-tattoo-foundation-P311138?skuId=1398858

If I still need concealer too, which I don't really w/ the Kat Von D foundation, her line of concealer is probably good too...haven't tried it yet.

face powder - I want to try Kat Von D powder too. But all along, I've used Sephora brand powder foundation. NARS is nice too.

The products to spend more money on are foundation for sure & probably lipstick. Everything else can be cheaper: Mascara, blush, eyeliner, & probably cleanser. I think the best drugstore brand of makeup is L'Oreal. MAC though has nice lipsticks, blushes, & eyeliners.

I try to give myself facials (simply warm towels on my skin at night with my cleanser...nothing fancy). I do not use face moisturizer or toner.

16. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

I tried it when I was younger and it dried my skin out really bad. The moisturizer broke me out.

17. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2013

The only "product" I use on my face is tea tree oil. I will love and praise this stuff until the day I die!!! I have a weird combo face as well, I still get plenty of pimples and break outs, but my face is really really dry. All the acne medicines out there make me feel like my face is peeling off.

Tea tree oil has a natural antibiotic in it that kills the bacteria that causes pimples. I buy the stuff from wal mart that has lots of other oils in it too, which moisturize my face. Hollywood beauty brand (found in the hair isle). It's cheap, it's natural and it freaking WORKS. I put it on every time I get out of the shower or after washing my face. If I don't, my skin gets really dry (just after being in water!)

For makeup, I found I just simply cannot wear all over makeup every day. Liars to all of those who say their brand of makeup doesn't cause breakouts. It does. I only wear all over makeup for fancy occasions, maybe once every two weeks or so.

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

Thank you all so much for the great info!

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

Here are three things I might recommend:

-Get a scrubby wash towel. I got mine from the Asian supermarket (I don't see them elsewhere), but I find that it helps a lot to scrub your face with that.

-If you have access to a sauna/steam room (e.g. at your health club), I'd give that a try.

-Try coconut oil. It really is quite an amazing product. I use it in my coffee. But people rave about its various uses. One of those is skin care... so I use it after shower (at home; not going out... it's too shiny).

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 25, 2013

Yes, I used to have a face steamer. Te tree oil doesn't seem to work for me. Also, I found out long ago to use toothpaste (not the gel consistency) to dab on pimples. They'll be dried up by morning! I've done it, it works pretty well.

Oh also, Evian water spray is nice to keep in your purse to refresh your skin or set your makeup. It comes in different size bottles & many stores carry it:

http://www.evian.com/en_us/56-Facial-Spray

If you want a more powerful makeup setting spray, Kat Von D sells one too, but I haven't tried it yet, but it's probably good. Now, I use Urban Decay's De-Slick oil-control makeup setting spra :

http://www.urbandecay.com/what's-new/de-slick-oil-control-makeup-setting-spray/345.html

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 25, 2013

I use a toner from Lush that has tea tree oil, but not everyday. I keep it in the fridge and use it after I work out to clean all the sweat off so I don't break out. I usually use a skin calming toner by them, with chamomile in it. I always love how my skin feels after I use it, but I have very sensitive, very red, very dry skin. I can't say from personal experience how their oily skin products work, but my friends swear by them.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

I have very oily skin, and I used to have breakouts about once a month. Throughout the years I have tried a variety of products, including topical and oral prescriptions from my derm. I never had horrible acne or anything, but some breakouts were pretty bad.

I started using L'Bri products in December, and my skin has been flawless ever since. The products are all-natural, and my skin just feels good. I order it through a friend, who is a consultant, but I'm pretty sure you can order online, too. I recommended it to a few friends, and they absolutely love it, too.

Here is their website: http://www.lbri.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

23. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2013

I'm very fair skinned (freckled, Scotch/Irish heritage) and I have breakouts that are related to rosacia. A prescription skin cream keeps it under control for me. Just an idea out of left field.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 25, 2013

I should look into this. Thanks for posting.

25. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 25, 2013

If you have bad breakouts, try NOT scrubbing your skin. It aggravates already sensitive pores causing more problems. Stay away from the scrubs and rough clothes - be nice to your skin. :)

I think someone else mentioned it, but try cetaphil. It is super gentle.

I finally found a skin care line I love, but it is quite expensive. But, it works and that makes it a better value than the many products amc dermatologist visits over the years. Boscia skin care - love it!

26. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 26, 2013

I would say a pore scrub twice a day is way too often. I would do once or less per day, and use a gentle cleanser otherwise. I don't know if it'll work for you, but the Clarisonic Mia has done wonders for my combination, clogged-pore-prone skin. It's pricy but my skin is 10x better when I use it regularly (every couple of days for me, you have to ease into it). I use it with the Checks and Balances cleanser from Origins. You only need a pea sized amount of it, so the tube of cleanser goes a long way. Otherwise, I just remove makeup if needed with a Neutrogena makeup removing towelette and then use the face wash alone. I also have a black bar of face soap (can't remember the name) from Erno Laszlo that I use when my skin is particularly oily. It's expensive ($40ish) but it lasts FOREVER so I think it's worth it. All of their products are amazing, but they're all too expensive for me other than the soaps which last forever. I used to use the bar soap regularly but I needed something a little bit gentler.

If your skin is super sensitive and can't handle the exfoliation, Cetaphil wash is indeed a good idea. It's very gentle. I use a simple, light moisturizer from Trader Joe's that doesn't have any harsh ingredients and has some SPF. I think it's called Enrich. My skin is really sensitive to fragrance and my eye area is very easily irritated. I love this stuff. I don't have amazing skin or anything, but it's also quite sensitive and this is how I've been able to keep things calm and free of irritation. Also, most makeup doesn't make me break out unless I don't remove it well at the end of the day. There are exceptions, of course. I'm allergic to something in Bare Minerals, for example.

Edit: Sorry this is getting so long, but I think I saw St. Ives Apricot scrub mentioned. I would NOT recommend using it. It has rough, jagged bits inside of it and is way way too abrasive for anyone's face. You may feel soft and smell nice afterward, but it can cause long term damage by tearing up your skin.

27. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

Didn't know about this stuff till I got together with my dh. He uses it for his toes. He suffers from fungus and this stuff works extremely well for this.

I so wish I would have know about this when I was suffering from bad skin condition. Would have save $$$$$ and grief.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

An aesthetician at one of my favorite spas told me the same thing....the crushed apricot pits are irregular and sharp...they tear at your skin. Better to use a scrub with microbeads....use gently and NOT every day. Cream cleansers are good for daily cleansing.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2013

bison & czacza, yes I remember czacza when you posted about St. Ive's apricot scrub before. I guess I'll stop using it. Thanks again guys.

I am planning to try this line, thanks for posting. The L'Bri that was posted earlier seems to be too inconvenient to get.

30. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 26, 2013

Sephora often has pre-packaged samples, and the samples they pore at the store always last me quite awhile. Give it a try. It took some getting used to, but my skin is 100%improved! ( I was a very heavy duty in the past too!)

31. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 29, 2013

My skin also breaks out easily. I was getting very frustrated with it several years ago and looking online for ideas. I found an acne website started by this guy, Dan. He has tried everything and has come up with a very basic plan for cleaning and keeping his face clear. It's just washing with a very gentle soap, using benzoyl peroxide, then following up with a moisturizer. He sells them all on his website. I buy the benzoyl peroxide there, but the soap and moisturizer from a drugstore. I use this Purpose soap.

http://www.drugstore.com/purpose-gentle-cleansing-bar/qxp16700?catid=182287

And, I use this Eucerin moisturizer with SPF in it.

http://www.drugstore.com/eucerin-da...zing-face-lotion-spf-30/qxp79531?catid=182945

And, here is his website.

http://www.acne.org/

I've tried several different things myself, and this has worked the best for me. I've been following "The Regimen," as he calls it for at least the past 4-5 years now. I would still like to try something like Retin A for lines/wrinkles, but need to make a trip to the dermatologist to learn about that. Hopefully soon!

32. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 29, 2013

The Oil Cleansing Method is the only thing that has consistently worked for me. I had really bad cystic acne as a teenager that followed me, in less severe fashion, into adulthood. At one point, my dermatologist put me on antibiotics to try and calm my acne down.

I tried everything - Cetaphil, acne formulations from a bunch of different product lines, Proactiv, even Head and Shoulders. Some of them were complete disasters (Cetaphil destroyed my skin) and others worked for a time, but then my acne would creep back (Proactiv and, surprisingly, Head and Shoulders were in this group).

On top of all of that, my skin was combination skin in the worst way. Not, oh, my t-zone is oily and my cheeks are dry. Like, oh the oily patches on my face are also so dry they're flaking. It was a job trying to keep up with my skin.

And then, last Christmas, my sister had me try the oil cleansing method. She mixed up a 50/50 blend of extra virgin olive oil and castor oil. I used it once a day, at night, and my skin started to get better. I did find it drying, so I started dropping the amount of castor oil. I now use a mixture of approximately 30/60 castor oil to olive oil blend.

It took away my "regular" pimples immediately. My hormonal pimples started to decrease in size and in number. Now, barely 6 months later, I'm acne free. I don't have to use moisturizer anymore and I use very little makeup because I really don't have to.

It has been a definite life-saver for me.

33. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

I have very sensitive skin and I use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer which has an SPF 15. Instead of using foundation, I'll use a tinted moisturizer from Aveeno which is light and doesn't clog my pores but still provides a little coverage. At night I wash my face with the same cleanser, use an acne fighting toner and use Oil of Olay Regenerist night cream. So far its the best routine that has worked for me. When I wanna exfoliate I'll use St. Ives Apricot scrub, but not too much cause it can be a little harsh.