Any similar experiences?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by K-5_teacherguy, Jan 29, 2021.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jan 29, 2021

My girlfriend and I are in the process of adopting a child through foster care. Her work schedule has her traveling quite a bit right now, so I am planning to take FMLA once the child is officially placed with us (likely sometime in late April or May). I understand that I'm entitled to 12 weeks, but am I able to use sick days to cover the time I take off? It would probably be anywhere from 4-8 weeks and I have plenty of days to cover it.

I realize this is something I need to address with HR, but until I know more details about the specific dates and how much time I'm going to take, I kind of just want to gain a better understanding of how the process works. Apparently my Googling skills are not up to par. Has anyone taken FMLA and used sick days to ensure you continued getting paid? Is that even possible, or does it depend on the state/district? Thanks in advance.

3. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 29, 2021

You will need to check your contract. I know when I took my maternity leave when I had my son I was able to use my sick days to cover my FMLA leave so I could get paid for the 8 weeks I was out.

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 29, 2021

It depends on your district's policy, so you'll need to check with HR to find out for sure. It does vary from district to district.

Personal experience though -- I'm currently on FMLA and had about a month's worth of sick/personal days saved up. I was required to use those up during my leave, so I'm getting paid for the first month of my leave.

5. پیستوله

پیستوله New Member

Feb 9, 2021

You will need to check your contract. I know when I took my maternity leave when I had my son I was able to use my sick days