Any sewers out there?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachnRox, Jun 13, 2008.

1. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 13, 2008

I am looking for a good tote bag pattern. I have gone through books of patterns but haven't found a simple one. I need to make about 10, and elaborate ones are too time consuming. I want to make literacy theme bags for take home, and thought this would be more economical. Buying backpacks are just too expensive. I was going to use the going green bags in grocery stores but I want to make each bag different. I have quite a bit of unused fabric. Any one have a website or directions for making a tote bag? Or possibly another outlet I haven't thought of? :unsure:

3. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jun 13, 2008

4. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

If you find a tote online that you like you can always make a simple pattern for yourself to follow too... I've done that with several totes/purses in the past

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2008

sewing.about.com has some good tote bag patterns.

I agree, the Oriental Trading company might be the best bet.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 13, 2008

Make a sample. Use old rag piece of material.
    Make it an inch bigger than what you want the bag to end plus allow for the seams. OK say you want a 10x13 bag. I'd cut the material 11 1/2 inches by 29inches. The front you hemmed and measure from the top of the hem down 14 inches. Put the pretty side of the fabric together. Take a piece of firm ribbon about 1/2 wide and put between the two pieces of material going across about 2 1/2 inches from the top (this makes a tab to stick the extra material and stitch along the side. Next zig zag along the edge. At the bottom point sew diagonally across to make the bottom of your bag. Hem around the extra material to make the flap to put under the ribbon to help keep things in the bag. Sew material together to make a shoulder strap or use ribbon. Attach to the top side of the bag sides.

These are so easy for me to make, but wow! lots harder to try and explain.

You can buy bags at Oriental Trading Post, Hobby Lobby, Michaels. They don't have the flap over.

You received two responses after I started answering.

I checked out the sewing.about.com I'm going to make some of the wallets to put in the treasure box. I think they will be a big hit. Simple cheap and easy for me to make. Thanks for sharing this link.

7. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 13, 2008

What about a Dollar store?? They have all kinds of beach stuff right now. That might work. If I get my own class this fall (not just a sub or aide) I want to to do the literacy bags too! Post some pictures when you get a few together...would love to see them.

8. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 13, 2008

I went and checked there a week ago, the totebags were too small. I need them big enough to hold 2-3 books, and possibly a stuffed animal. I will try to post once I figure out what I am doing! I am still waiting for my book to come! :)

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2008

Check out this free tote bag pattern at the Simplicity web site -- if it doesn't sound like it would be big enough, just adjuct the dimensions proportionately.

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/classroom/sewprojects/totebag/totebag.htm

10. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I am so un-crafty that I read "sewer" as the thing under the streets, lol...I like the idea of using cute fabric bags instead of big ziploc ones, though.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 14, 2008

I did the same thing - I guess my mind is just in the gutter!

Wal-Mart sells decent-sized canvas bags in various colors rather cheaply. I decorate them with fabric paint pens or iron-on decals to make different literacy bags-it's much easier.

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 14, 2008

The pocket wallets on the above site all so cool. I think the students will all want one. I made three brown, 3 pink and 2 bright pocket wallets this morning. They are so cheap and easy to make. I have lots of scrap material.

I'm going to add them to the treasure box things.

TeachnRox I hope you find an easy tote bag

13. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 14, 2008

Thank you all!

Sorry about the whole sewer (piping under ground), when someone mentioned that, I was like oh, did I spell it wrong and then thought...hmmm...maybe that is why they are called seamstresses! My bad!

Thanks all for the suggestions, ideas, and directions! Two heads (or should I say 10) are better than one!

I got all excited to get started yesterday, and I turned on my machine and the needle went biserk! :mad: So, now I have to take it in to get repaired. I have moved 3 times, and I haven't used it since I moved it! Go figure! I am going to swing by Walmart to see the canvas bags, I did consider buying the going green bags, but I wanted some variety...Thanks again for all your help!