Any schools helping out Joplin?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, May 28, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

I was watching the destruction on my TV and really feel called to do something. I am going to send a proposal to my coordinator to see if we can do a school-wide donation to send money to that town. Are any other schools raising money for them?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

Oh, and if your school is raising money, can you share what you are doing? Are you doing straight donations, or specific fund-raisers? I just need some ideas. Thanks!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

We're not, at least not as a organized school effort. We were already in the midst of another fundraiser, working to build a school in the South Pacific, when the tornado hit Joplin.

The kids saw a video about the area. Then each kid received a small bank-- I'm not sure where we got them from. They were asked to bring the banks back 2 or 3 days later. (Our fundraisers are typically like that-- short and sweet.) The last I heard, we had something like $15,000 raised. (But remember, my school is LARGE.)

We also send a team of kids from the Woodworking club to the Gulf coast every year to help rebuild. I'm not sure whether they've been at the same school since Katrina or whether they've finished one project and moved on to another. But our kids go and physically help rebuild the school with materials we've gotten donated.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 28, 2011

We collected items and raised money, but we are a neighboring district.

6. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

May 28, 2011

We are also close to Joplin. We adopted 2 families that lost everything and have supplied them with bags of clothes and gift certificates to help them get on their feet. I can't imagine what the people are going through. This morning I saw on the news a father was found with his two children in his arms. They were at the Home Depot, I can't imagine the pain the mother is feeling...so incredibly sad.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

Thanks for sharing you guys. It's so, so sad to see all of that destruction. I am going to be discussing this with my kids and we will be praying for them. I hope my school decides to raise money for Joplin. I'll keep you all updated.

8. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 28, 2011

I was going to ask a similar question as well. We had some terrible tornados in Fayetteville NC a couple weeks ago, completely destroyed a nearby elementary school and damaged a high school. The kids had to be rerouted to another school until the end of the year.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

We are raising money for the Red Cross. Our donation will go to the people who suffered in Alabama.

10. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

May 28, 2011

We are helping our local area. We have done a couple of fundraisers and many of the families are physically helping in the clean-up process. One of my students lost almost everything. The house was still standing, but the roof and everything inside was gone or ruined. The rest of the houses in his neighborhood were flattened. This was all from the April 27th tornadoes that ripped through my state.

11. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

May 28, 2011

Thank you Swansong1! Our recovery has been slow with the lack of power for a full week after the tornadoes. We are still on watch for rolling black outs.

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 30, 2011

Our last day of school was last Monday and we didn't have time to organize anything at school.