Any Resolutions?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 23, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 23, 2013

I know some of us are coming up on our return date pretty soon (and even if we aren't, it's something that we've probably thought about). Any changes you plan to work on for the upcoming school year?

I want to focus more on working with my kids on mental math strategies on a daily basis-they do place value/regrouping this year and I want them to be fluent in that number sense.

I feel like I always say this, but I want to use our time better. Sometimes, we waste too much time in transitions, etc.

What are your resolutions for this school year?

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

Mine is writing. I want to use writing much more authentically this year to hit all the reading and writing standards. Way more time on task writing, evaluating students writing, and designing lessons to move those students forwards.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 23, 2013

I want to make my students and classroom more learning focused rather than achievement focused. I'm hoping to get rid of students using grades to try to measure their intelligence and focus on whether or not they meet the learning goals and grew their understanding. I'll do this by ensuring that all of my assessments are made prior to teaching, and all activities aid in the accomplishment of a learning goal that is on an assessment. I'll provide students self-checklists of learning goals in the "I can..." format. I'm hoping that this will help students to feel more successful.

I'm also going to be using more rubrics because I think it will help me provide more immediate detailed feedback. They'll also be receiving grades that are directly associated with their performance using rubrics and gives them qualitative information rather than a point value. (it's kind of like going back to the old school system of letter grades).

Those are my major changes. Everything else is rather minor.

5. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 23, 2013

I want to incorporate interactive notebooks, and focus more on the students thinking and problem solving skills.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 23, 2013

Oh, I also want to begin the year talking about the elasticity of the brain and introducing a lot of concepts from Carol Dweck's book "Mindset".

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2013

I will have a huge range of students. Literally half of the incoming 3rd graders are significantly below level (scored at the 28th percentile on their Iowa last year), because they basically had a year of chaos and non-instruction.

I plan to do everything in my power to bring these kids back up to level (most of them left my 1st grade class on-level or better in reading AND math). I just pray it is enough.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 23, 2013

Tons more writing! If I don't get at least one whined/groaned "this isn't English!" per week, we're not writing enough. :p My focus will be on political cartoon analysis and historical research.

Outside of writing, I want to focus a lot more on map skills. Last year, 40% of my students came in not able to name the country directly north of the USA (9th grade) because none of them have seen a world map in school since 3rd grade. I don't want to still be explaining that France is IN Europe in April like I was this year. So the whole first week will be on directions, longitude/latitude, hemisphere, continents and oceans.

9. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

I am really honing in on writing this year with my class. We adopted a new set of school-wide expectations, and I know I need to step it up with my third graders this year. This has been the area that has received the least attention from me over the years in planning and in practice.

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 23, 2013

(1) To keep everything in perspective and stress less - it's my career, not my life.

(2) A Reader's Café of some sort

(3) Interactive notebooks

(4) Small group reading and writing workshops

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 23, 2013

I really like this idea, Peregrin5. Would you be willing to expound that idea? Do you already have the checklists made up, or do you happen to know where one might find them (for upper-elementary students)?

Thanks much. :)

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

Daily reflections.

This was a requirement when I was in college. I recently found mine from 2004, and it opened my eyes a bit.

So, every day before I leave school, I want to write a reflection in a journal.

I really, truly love my job. But, I feel like we can all get jaded sometimes.

13. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I plan to work more on classroom management. I didn't have any major problems last year, but I know that I need to improve (just for my own sanity). I am changing classrooms this year, and now I have neighbors on both sides (and we have thin, magnetic board walls), so I have to be sure to keep the noise level down. (Not that we were crazy loud last year, but I want to be respectful of the neighbors).

I also plan to focus more on poetry (which is my favorite). Last year, we ended up having to rush it a bit, and these students, for some reason, have been taught to hate it. I'm doing Poem of the Week this year in addition to a short poetry unit so that they'll have more exposure.

One last thing: I also want to use my planning time at school more wisely.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

Wait a sec...are they all coming from the same 2nd grade class? Why'd this group have a year of chaos and non-instruction?

P.S. if anyone can work miracles, I'm 100% you can/will! :hugs:

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

Wow-you would think they would give you a break. Wasn't your class last year like that too?

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 24, 2013

1. Write notes every single day on my lesson plans of what worked and what didn't. Also what really seemed to confuse them.
    2. Make at least two positive parent contacts each week.
    3. The usual, stay on top of everything!

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

I'm going into my second year so I've thought a lot about this.

1) I'm fully implementing Daily 5. I'm excited! I did partial implementation last year. This year I'm taking the leap and letting them choose. I guess my resolution is to stick to it!!
    2) I really want to work on math. I feel like I could have done much better teaching math last year. We use Saxon, and it was very hard for me to get used to. Calendar, math daily 5, and math strategy groups are my areas of focus.
    3) I want to beef up my writing instruction and devote a lot of time to shared writing.
    4) I bought reading A to Z, so I'll be leveling the kids and using the books for small group instruction. I want to effectively use this especially to bring my low kids up.

I have some high flyers coming in this year, so I'm excited to challenge them. I also have a couple very low students, including one of my own retentions. I'm hoping this is the year it "clicks" with the little girl I retained!!

It's a lot, but I'm so excited!!

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

Forgot to add be more social to my list, like eating in the lounge. I say that every year, maybe this is it. ;)

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2013

I had 3 non-readers last year. One passed to 2nd (barely), the other two will be "revisiting" 1st grade. The rest of the class last year was pretty average, except for my sweetie who is a budding genius (reading well over 100 wpm with great comprehension & working on & understanding multiplication & division!).

No, we have 2 second grade classes. One group is about average (some high, some low, most in between). The other group had a teacher (with tenure unfortunately - one argument against it) who literally did not care, refused any offers of help, and either yelled at the kids or stood at her board and lectured (in monotone) while the kids were jumping off the walls, cursing, etc. (I know because I shared a wall with that class). I had most of those kids the year before, in first, and I KNOW how to handle them (tried to help but was rebuffed), and what kind of growth they are capable of. It was horrible. On the day that Iowa testing began, this teacher began a "long term medical leave," without notice, and we haven't heard from her since. I saw her this summer, and she said she was "exploring her options." Her class scored at the 28th percentile on the Iowa, and only 3 students benchmarked on DIBELs - I have no idea how they would have done on Aimsweb benchmarks, because she didn't do them!

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2013

Forgot - I'm implementing Interactive Notebooks!!!

21. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 25, 2013

1. I will be organized the entire year especially in regards to the two extra-curriculars I sponsor.

2. Stay on top of grading (I did a pretty good job last year).

3. Try to focus on the positive and let the negative go. I spent a lot of time on vent boards the last couple of years.